Skip to content

Huge update is going on

Comments

• Hey guys what content are you using with GSA? I am checking indexeing rates and it seems thaht there is mass deindexed of my contextual links - i used scrapped/spun content.
  • @Username is not SER is how you use it . 

@Meph I used KM and TBS 
  • Yes I got hit hard.
    More then half of my web 2.0s were affected.
    I used pure spam so can't say I didn't expect them to tank.
  • I got hit hard too :(   My FB pages and New Youtube videos were hit...Seems mass spam no longer work on Authority sites..
  • Yes, you all give up and leave.
  • @krisctu, you are wrong.
  • theguruland,

So what is your idea? How to use GSA SER specially for Youtube videos please to not get hit?

Thanks
  • I do not do Youtube videos. But if I was you I wouldn't target a few kwds.
  • @theguruland 2000 sites backlinked with gsa? wow . If I dont mind asking you, what kind of platforms do you use on them and how many links do you build on so many sites and do they even rank or its just hit and miss 
  • Wordpress , includes domains and subdomains builded in 5 years. some of them I use GSA on other I ve been using other tools that I won't mention here :) trust me 2000 sites are not that many . I know some one with much more websites than me 
  • theguruland,
    In the "Anchor text" you mean? I hope you explain your meaning a bit if possible...

Thanks...
  • Yes , not target  a few keywords only . Use a lot of different anchors , in order of hundreds . 
  • All my hit web 2.0's are back to their approximately original positions in last 2 days . 

was this just a test run ?
  • @DonCorleone, our friend Matt has once said that Google already has test environments to see what happens when they do something to the algorithm, so I highly doubt they'd do any tests on the live search results. Though I must admit that I also was quite baffled to see a number of churn and burns return to original positions.
  • Here's my 2 cents for what its worth. I would recommend:
    1. Having nothing but well spun articles pointing directly at your money site. I've heard some noise that Google's hummingbird update is getting pretty good at sniffing out auto-spun crap. Use KM, etc. for tiers 2 and below. Google has also hired a ton of people for manual reviews, and is handing out manual penalties like mad. I will reiterate: Nothing but quality articles pointed directly at your money site.
    2. Use AHRefs or Majestic SEO to map out your competitors anchor text profile, and duplicate it. Use spintax extensively in your anchors in SER to vary your anchors as much as possible. 
  • my traffic decreased by half in two days.  something is going on
  • great debate on here, I have put some thought into what could be going on ( I am no expert, these are just my opinions)
    a) linkbuilding - for the same reason social sites work, this is essentially how google works, the way things get seen as worth ranking is because other people or sites link to it, this is the basic premise of link building. Until an external factor comes into play, there really isn't much other way a computer algo can rank things. 
    b) thinking of a) a computer algo can get smarter at working out what is a better link to use. In the case of Hummingbird, it will not link to badly written content, but will credit well written content. 
    c) dofollow and nofollow, I have seen a few cases where the latter is the majority and they are ranking for super competitive $$$$ terms.

So yes there is an update on the way, it is most likely going to be content focused and we will probably see the devaluing of dofollow v nofollow, as well as further social signals coming into play. 

What does it mean for us - not much we just have to get better (and more natural) at using the great tools that are at our disposal 
  • @2take2 - Thanks buddy, makes sense yo me
  • penumbrapenumbra Antarctica
    I only got penalty for thin content, my gsa ser links passed penguin update.
  • @Penumbra you passed ? Its not over yet FYI.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    @penumbra did you get a notice in WMT for the thin content? Or are you just assuming that's the cause?
  • edited May 2014
    It all comes down to the quality of your backlinks. My sites are kicking ass. This update only made them STRONGER. Don't use spun garbage on your T1s or you will get murdered sooner or later.

GSA still rocks for link building but you must feed it good content. You can probably recover from this update if you remove your crappy links and start over.
  • penumbrapenumbra Antarctica
    edited May 2014
    @spunko2010 Yes i got that in WMT, thin content. But still some guys in my niche have even less words in articles and they stay -.- My multiniche site with like 19 pages, whole website. All earnings down, i was before getting drop down like 10-20 places and then keywords back on original place some even stronger. I was building links with GSA SER with OBL 20. No spammy links there.
  • @sweeppicker , how you feed your T1? And what properties you advice as T1? :)
  • edited May 2014
    theguruland. I have tons of unique articles I upload into the article manager.

You don't need a million spammy links and tiers to rank for big terms. I've tested this extensively. If your T1 is crap in Google's eyes it will get devalued and no longer pass page rank or boost SERPS. It will actually push your rank DOWN so you will need to delete it. Modify the content on it to higher quality will not work. Once its marked as SPAM it stays that way.

Best T1 properties are which ever ones don't get deleted. Hah. You have to test your list I guess.
    And web 2.0s still rock but you need to build real sites with good content.
  • @sweeppicker , thanks for your answer. You do NOT spun your articles?
  • theguruland. Correct. It's way more expensive of course but once your #1 it will pay for itself.
  • well it really depends on how many websites you have to rank. I ve to rank many websites and this could be very expensive..
  • @theguruland or will take a hell of a long time to write the articles :P
  • Being myself not a native english speaker ... it will take forever... beside that.. I think GSA can be used in several ways :)@sweeppicker found his way.. I ve mine and you have yours... very important is that Your way , My wat , His way works and make $$$$$ :)