Skip to content

Huge update is going on

Comments

• true that, if you are smart and careful GSA can be used in the best ways! 
  • LOL careful and gsa words have nothing in common

• Well Panda DOES effects links. Think about it ... If the link resides in low quality-content  then that page gets demoted according to Panda. Panda penalized pages do not pass page rank or authority. Cutts has already confirmed this guys. Now I don't believe everything he says but this I absolutely do because I can confirm it from my own internal tests.

I did a cross check on all my sites this morning and only specific keyword rankings from spun content went down. Everything else improved or remained the same.  My pure whitehat sites are killing it today and hitting over 2ks unique visitors. If the majority of your sites incoming links are spun then you can get in real trouble as you will lose rankings for entire keyword themes.

The fastest way to fully recover is to run SER in link removal mode and then send those links to an indexer. You can still use your accounts to post HQ content and build out a nice set of T1s.

You will be amazed at how effective they are when done right and you will not be phased by Google's fuzzy animals.
  • @sweeppicker , well I ve been reading and thinking about what you state in your posts and I really have doubts about the fact SER can be compatible with unique original content for any properties it creates ..... you will be hitted anyway due to duplicate content . This is a fact . Unfortunately the nature of SER and of any other software of this type is to build links , a lot of links .. To run a campaign with unique content you could need let's say a thousand unique article and you could still get a penalty in my opinion. SO I m not sure how you use it but if you want to share we will be glad :) 
  • @theguruland, your concerns about duplicate content: http://imgur.com/DmfiDcp

Instead of getting a shitload of articles, would it not be a lot more efficient to have an article manually paragraph, sentence, and word spun?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Who said you have to use SER on T1? There are plenty of people who create quality links on T1 by hand, and then back it up with tiers underneath using SER. There are many ways to use this software.

I do different things for different sites. I have subscriptions to Article Builder and The Leading Articles to get high quality spins that read absolutely perfectly. And they are perfect for T1 whether done by hand or used in SER.

There are many ways to skin a cat.
  • @ fakenickahl , in that case you will do exactly what I ve been doing and I got the same result I got with heavily spun articles , I took a very deep dive. I ve to add a few consideration to this update : 

1) Google is taking down and analizing in a very deep way mainly websites with thousands links . I see more and more websites up with a few links ( litterally 3 or 4 links ) .

2) I think this update is also very connected to UNRELATED LINKS. That means if you have many links from websites that are unrelated to your website you will get penalty ( again we are in a early stadium to judge this correctly but I noticed it ) .

Right now I will target more and more quality links and strictly related . And I ll see what happen . 
  • @Ron , depends on the niche you are in . Article Builder and leading articles do not have every niche on this planet . And yeah you do not have to use SER on T1 :) But I did it with great success and I would like to keep on doing it in some different way ;) 
  • @theguruland good point on 1) I would agree, I can think of a competitive niche where suprisingly sites that are ranking very well for big money words, have very low backlinks - but flip side they do have a crazy amount of content (150-200) pages with blog posts updated 3/4 times per week. 

Point 2) I think this has been going on for some time as people on here have been talking about having relevant backlinks to a site. 

@ron you advise on the post ser&tiers that  "I think you need to definitely be below 3% per main anchor term, and in my humble opinion, even be at 1% or less. I think branding and naked URL should be the vast majority of your links." do you think this is still that case? what has been your experience so far with the updates? 
  • @gsaneweb29 I see brand new website with small content ranking ... depends on what you mean by content ... A photo ? A video ? I do not know ... About what you wrote @ron : he is absolutely right and all his link building schemes are the only ones I always find out working for real here ... I agree with him when he said that brand new domains need very little amount of links to rank and I really never ranked a brand new domain blasting it with links .. Ron system works very well and will work good and better now .. simply because it gives you more control on what you are doing. OFC this is my opinion . Maybe someone else has a different system that works for him in his niche. 
  • @theguruland apologies for not being so clear. The sites have multiple pages, but also on each page there is a minimum of 350-400 word unique articles + pictures + videos (not all pages). You could conclude that tiered + no ropey content, only good well written and relevant. @ron - couldn't agree more - he has posted some true golden nuggets on here so hats off to him 
  • ronron SERLists.com

I'm heading to bed so I will be brief here. You can do all the right things, and some sites will never rank in a million years. Not because of anything you did wrong, but simply because Google has created a randomness in how sites rank. And it is even more that way now than ever before.

I have created sites for 16 years, even well before Google existed. All I can tell you is that even in my best moments of time, probably only 40% of my sites succeeded - even though I did the exact same things to each of them.

It is a numbers game. I will throw up multiple sites in a niche and see what happens. I may not build them out right away. I look at what is happening with the rankings first before I invest more time. So I build a skeleton with some content first, build links, and see what happens. Again, at best, 40% have succeeded. So trim the losers and feed the winners. If you keep that in mind, you will have a positive experience. If you roll the dice on one site, and nothing happens, you will be out of this business (mentally) very quickly. 

• @Ron , Chapeu . This is the real truth about IM and SEO. 
  • @Ron , lately you noticed that become even harder to rank a brand new domain? How long it takes to you to rank it ?
  • I lost almost 4 web 2,0 ranking ...i  just spam them till death...

Thanks...
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Is there actually any evidence that it's targeting spun text? I'm no luddite but I don't believe that it's possible for Google (yet?) to detect spun content accurately. There are too many variables, eg slang, poor grasp of english language, HTML markup confusion, etc etc. It's only a machine. In my opinion this update targets anchor text and bad link neighbourhoods, nothing more.
  • My gut tells me it's the spammed to death domains we get our links from. Not the content. I could be wrong of course.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    My personal opinion is that it's not spun text or all my sites would be penalised. I have sites that use exactly the same articles - Some have dropped, some haven't - So i'm reluctant to buy the spun articles theory.
    edited May 2014
    @theguruland as @ron said some domains rank quickly and others don't, seems to be more randomized.  If my new domain isn't ranking in first 5 pages within 6 weeks max then I try another.

I've launched 14 websites in 18 months I've got 7 left now as I culled the others because they didn't get anywhere in Google. No point throwing good money after bad ;)
  • @Spunko thanks for the answer . 6 weeks? At what link velocity? :D 
  • @gooner , it seems like they can detect spun content but I m not sure someone will ever confirm this .. but still for sure spammy links and not related links have a part in all this 
  • @theguruland I think it depends on the ability of the person to spin the content. If you sentence, word and paragraph spin to a full cohesive article that is grammatically sound and makes sense, I can't see how Google could pick it up. It depends how you look at spun content. for example a newspaper writes a story about a celebrity, 30 other papers cover the same story - yet they are all writing unique content?! no the story has been 'spun' by each newspaper. The sentences, paragraphs and words might not be the same, but the underlying story is identical. Matthew Woodward has a great video on advanced spinning techniques which should help out. 
  • @gsanewb29 , I m sorry but the newspaper example doesnt fit. If other newsp cover the same story with their own words , idea , impressions , way of writing etc.. its not the same... its another article , unique. If you take the same article and CURATE it , its another type of thing .. again .. if you have a spun article and post it on thousand of article platform how t can be unique and at same time readable. Its utopia. I think @gooner is right.. its about spammy links etc.. also remember those update happen 3 times a year and they clean the serp .. but people who churn and burn can still build and wait for the next update ( I think ) . Just one thing : this time they hitted very precisely websites that use spammy links ( aka seo tools ) . Its time for a change of startegy thats all . 
    edited May 2014
    @theguruland find a recent article and then run it through copyscape, you'll see maybe hundreds of hits because they don't re-write swathes of the article, only a few words. I've seen articles where there is over 75% exact matches , because all newspapers get their information from Reuters etc.

However this doesn't take into account authority of newspaper sites, obviously websites like the Daily Mail here in the UK have massive authority and we know how Google gives them free reign to do whatever. You could write a brilliant article yourself, Daily Mail could lift it 100% and put it on their site and outrank you instantly. That's teh way the stupid algorithm works, Google love$ brand$. Interesting that I've seen comments about how this latest Penguin update is supposed to give small, local webmasters a boost - from what I've seen it's the same-old, same-old authority sites going up, everyone else going down.  I try not to waste my time being bitter about how underhand and unfair Google is, plus in a few weeks my sites will be back where they were a week ago anyway. It's the nature of the beast.
  • Just to chime in, I agree with @gooner regarding spun content not being the issue per se, but then I suppose it would be fair to say that if your rankings were being propped up by lots of low quality sites which accept (and are mostly populated with) spun junk, then they could well disappear in an update, taking your rankings with them.
  • @2Take2 its not only about spun content. As I said they targetted ( and quite well ) spammy links :) 
  • theguruland. You can control the amount of times you submit each article so duplicate content is not an issue. Set each article to use 1x max. I have been doing this for several months. I have over 1,000 unique content contextual T1s on some of my sites. They are doing fine after Panda 4.0. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • edited May 2014
    spunko2010. Not to sound cocky but Google absolutely can detect spun content. I've tested it all year and I have over 150 sites. Their algorithms only get better. Test it yourself. Throw up a completely unique relevant article pointing to a new domain and then do the same with a spun article to a second new domain and try to rank both for the same keyword. The difference in rank power is staggering. 

If you article contains sentence snippets than be found on vast amounts of other sites then it will not have the same amount of rank power as a completely original unpublished piece of content. Article Builder is way overused. Their database of sentence constructs has been used by everyone.

If you want to spin, start with original content for your seed article and use it on T2. Your results will be so much better. Use all the best web 2.0s for your T1s and funnel tons of link juice. This strategy still kicks ass. I have some nice rankings for some pretty big terms with 200k+ search queries per month that were unphased by the rollout. The higher percentage of unique content high quality T1s you have pointing to your site the more immune you will be to these annoying updates.

Poorly spun content = Spammy Links.

• FFS,  I could give you 10000000000000's of examples where spun content is kicking ass and still even is Right now.   I know of at least 4-5 people that only do spun content and still rank just fine.  how do I know this cause I compete with all of them.

Now however I don't use spun content at all.  out of the thousands and thousands of sites I have.  And that my competitors have.  They use Spun Content I don't.   yet they still keep up with me in results.    Now this isn't just one  or two sites targeting 1 or two keywords.   These are thousands of sites each site targeting 5-6 keywords.