Skip to content

Make GSA 64-bit compatible to remove the 2GB memory limit

edited November 2012 in Feature Requests
Hi,

my feature request is to make GSA SER 64-bit compatible, because the 2GB memory limit is too low.

Sure if someone has only 1-2 websites to promote then a 32-bit application is fine.

But if someone has multiple websites to promote and wants to use tiered backlinks, then he needs a lot of links.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    well i still think 32bit is enough for anyone ... i keep improving things as i got time and 64bit should not be a requirement.
  • Can I run 999 threads without problems, if I have enough resources?

try it and stop bitching around!

this is leading to nothing...you can't force me to make a 64bit version...I will improve the 32bit as i think its enough for anyone.

• I am not bitching around, GSA itself warns me that it is not recommended to use more than 100 threads, or else it will lead to problems with memory usage. Memory usage is not an issue in the 64-bit version.

So I think this feature request is completely valid. But you can delete this thread if you don't like suggestions from users.
  • OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    Just try it and keep an eye on your memory usage. Nothing will explode.

To max out the performance you need quality hardware though. 
    I like suggestions, but if I explain why I am not adding things or think in a different way it should be enough without you requesting things again and again in a not good sounding way. Thats what I call bitching around.
  • Can I ask why this is such a big issue?  Some other software I use wont upgrade to 64bit either.  Which means I am stuck using almost no system resources when I have a 12 core cpu and 64 gigs of ram.

I am just wondering if the change from 32bit to 64bit for your current programming language is just to complex to make it worth it?  It would be nice to know why you are so against the idea.
  • edited November 2012
    12 core cpu and 64 gig, what kinda supercomputer are you running? and with no resources?? WTF?

They're right... How can you run a computer so big for 2 sites and not have any resources? unless you're blasting out 10 million links per day.

Sven has added some nice features today that can double your output..

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/1041/improving-the-efficiency-of-gsa-ser-feature-request#Item_14

I know I can know run 25 max website with 2 additonal tiers with GSA on a 3 CPU Xeon 3 GB Ram, with tier split into divisions of the same niche (x4)... awesome!

My home PC is a hand built Quad Core x 4 Anthlon II 16GB RAM 1000GB Hard Disk but I have the shittiest internet connection is the world LOL, no fibre optic :( but one of the best PC money can buy.... :(

You need to decide which campaigns are more profitable and run them together the get the real power out of GSA SER, I think this is when you'll make some good progress with this software...
  • edited November 2012
    I was not the original poster, I am not running it for 2 sites, I have over 300 projects in my copies of GSA.  I have been using GSA for quite some time now.  I use it enough that I could really benefit from a 64 bit build.  But I am pretty sure that I am an edge-case, and not the norm.

Actually it is not an issue to recompile it in 64bit. Though I for myself don't think it is required. The problem nowadays is the following:

People don't care to optimize there code or think how to make things better. Instead they rely on the hardware or that customers get a new OS, RAM, CPU or whatsoever. I am a 80th child and grow up with my lovely AMIGA. We had a 7MHz CPU and 512KB Ram. That was enough to run things and I still think it could have been enough if people would just stop relying on hardware upgrades and build there software in a proper way.

I know our software is not perfect and probably never will. But at least I try to make it as fast as I can and use as much resources possible. Sure it would be easier to just compile a 64bit version and don't care anymore. Just that I don't want to. Hope you understand my point of view.

• edited November 2012
    @Anon752 - sorry my bad...

Look at the link I posted and the option of adding two seperate urls per tiered article in the link I showed you. So one tier would almost produce double results.

Take 5 sites in the same niche, and build one tier 2 for all of them with 2 tokens per article. As for posting limits: times that by 5, instead of 10 as you have 2 links per article... Don't forget to calculate the total amount of verfied links for the first tier in order to get the required output for tier 2.

Then create a tier 3 but select the multi tier project you just created again you don't need to multiply the verified links per day as much as you have two links per article, I would say this 3rd tier only needs to be 2 times and big as the 2nd tier (verified links per day).

To keep it more controlled I would say group no more than 5 niche related sites together, if you group 10+ then you have less control over how many links each site will recieve.. There is equal probability but random posting like this is also chaotic the more sites you add to a multi tiered project and just to note it doesn't it just halves the amount submissions to needed to acheive the same results.

@Sven I'm still unsure whether SER will verify these links correctly i.e: 2 per article?? If it doesn't then you'll need to work on submissions per day rather than verifications. This is something I will test and post back here...
  • @Sven
    I completely understand your point of view.  One of the main reasons I love your software is how much optimization you have done.

But there are a few of us who could actually use a 64 bit version.  We have enough projects to run, and powerful enough machines that it is actually something that would be a huge help.

I wont press on the matter to much, I love your software.  But I also know that I could actually benefit greatly from having a 64bit version.
  • You can't make it as fast as you can and use as much resources as possible in 64bit?
  • Let @Sven decide on this. When he thinks a 64 bit ugraded is really needed, he will provide one. No one software company has been releasing updates so frequently like GSA did.
  • edited November 2012
    Charybdis, you've been a problem on many forums for years... It's a better investment of Sven's time to improve the existing program instead of bowing to nonsense. I'm with poweruphosting on this one...
  • edited November 2012
    @Anon752 - you took the words out of my mouth! GSA is a great tool, and I think NOBODY is disputing that, but like a lot of users, a 64 bit version would mean I wouldn't need to rent another VPS and buy another CS, Indexer and SER and then have to split my projects over multiple VPS's (and keep record of what's running where) when I notice that projects are not completing within 24 hours anymore, which is starting to happen for me.

Optimised software is awesome, and I completely get it - I'm a developer myself! Bottom line is that if the platform itself has certain limits, then that's your software's limit no matter how optimised the code is, and there is a point where GSA simply can't keep up anymore when the number of projects gets quite big.

Again, either way it goes, GSA is a fantastic tool. Like all the updates so far, a 64-bit version imo would be an invaluable addition.

• There is only so much optimization you can do with a 32bit program with a 2GB addressable memory limitation. Also there is only so much workload it can handle and I have found pretty quickly that 1 GSA was not good enough for the workload I have so have moved to 3 * 4GB VPS with all running GSA, but still need more - 64bit is the way of the future, you don't see any 32bit servers around anymore and Windows 2012 is purely 64bit.

I vote for a 64bit :D
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne
    It would be every Christmas and Birthday present rolled into one if a 64 bit version came out
  • Another +1 for a 64-bit version. I have 8 cores and 16 GB RAM that are hardly ever used.

My ISP though is a major obstacle... no fiber optic!
  • edited December 2012
    We aren't living in the 128mb RAM age no more. Thats why "most" companys provide both versions. One for 32 bit and other 64 bit. 

We can't even use multiple instances no more too :(

Plus 32 bit process is emulated on 64 bit OS keep that in mind... 64 bit can be compiled "usually" within seconds.. depending on the existing code base..

"most" companies don't care about anything and don't think.

I made my point clear about this. And you never could have used multiple instances ever. This has a reason if you think a bit about it (hint, blocking SEs).

I also see no point in the emulation. There is no emulation. The 32bit registers on a 64bit CPU are still the same. Nothing is emulated. If you don't have a clue on certain things, you better not talk about it.

• edited December 2012
    Then atleast add the 4GB switch ...for GSA Spider.. If the love for 32 bit is so big..

{$SetPeFlags IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE}
  • I really don't understand you guys... Sven is doing his best (and it's working very well) to make 32-bit stable version of GSA SER and you keep asking about 64 bit...?!?! If you guys are so smart, why don't you write an app yourself and use 1281234GB of RAM memory if you think that would be best...  IMHO software developer and professional such as Sven is doing it for a reason and I think that we should respect that.
  • edited December 2012
    +1 for 64bit version. I am also long time ago has a zx spectrum, created lot of software for fdd (also lot of demos), and even developed hdd controller for it (all software was written on assembler, and even my hdd controller has option to emulate fdd controller chip to cheat basic rom (firmware) of zx spectrum (to use hdd even in fdd applications & bios). My bios for hdd controller was only 16Kb. I perfectly understand Sven about current time what peoples usually overusing system resources now, using non-optimized libraries & pictures, grab lot of memory which never used later, non-effective programming ways, etc. It reality at current days, sometimes I think what it done especially for hardware developers to make peoples spend more and more on new hardware.
    But in case of GSA ranker here is genuine requirements to become 64bit software. Just because GSA is multithreading software, we able to change number of threads and every thread using lot of memory (for datas, global lists, site html, etc). So 64bit version really can help us to use more threads effectively. Also this feature definitively will increase gsa possibilities for us (only because more memory available for threads - it only one and main reason).
  • For those with heavy duty hardware and large numbers of projects, couldn't you just create new users and run a copy of GSA out of each user on the same dedi? Not as convenient as running everything from one copy of the software, but at least you wouldn't have to go with multiple VPS's. Or would this not work?
    Using the scheduler is another option as it would rotate between projects.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - when you start the scheduler does it choose a random set of projects to start? When I used to use it, it always started with the same projects. After a while I found those projects always got time, but some others never got done. (I.e. when you update once per day, or stop to do any work on the projects, like load keywords, etc, and then you have to restart) 
    I make it random in next version
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks. 
  • So can we run two copies of SER concurrently on different user accounts?