Skip to content

How old are you all?

Comments

• 34. Started SEO in 2008. Learned about IM from John Reese. hah.
  • @sweeppicker and everybody else who started back 6-7 years ago. It must have been quite easy to do SEO compared to the recent times I guess? Guess I was in this stuff back then. :)
  • edited January 2014
    Yes and no. The algorithm was less sophisticated but so were the tools. GSA makes anything possible if you put your mind to it :)
  • Definitely, not questioning the power of SER in any way. It's a beast!
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    So it's a game of cat and mouse then? Someone tell Google. :D
  • donchinodonchino https://pbn.solutions
    I am 26 and started making money online 5 years ago. For the past 1-2 years I've been doing it full time. I'm glad I found Ser and this forum a year ago.. before that i was sitting more in bhw forum but in some time there were threads like "have you ever got milf" or "do you masturbate" as much as useful ones.. Keep up the good work and community!
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    32 for me :)
  • edited January 2014
    lol @donchino ye i used to spend most my time over bhw and the main forum is as bad as the dreaded warriorforum now. That place is just aweful these days. I was gonna say I really love this place (SER forum) feels like a big happy family we have going on here where everyone looks out for each other :). Great community. The worst Ive experienced has to be the xrumer community. All the selfish russians hoard the good information on their forum and barely any english speakers know what they are doing with the tool. The ones who do only give it out for a high price.
  • edited January 2014
    @sweeppicker This is kind of reassuring and something Ive wondered for a long time. ive always thought of whether things even out in SEO in the long run like any other arms race such that we will always have enough tech to go toe to toe with our enemy the evil G corporation.
  • I'm 37 - Got a webdesign business (my wife is a magician with design). I spend my time finishing off sites for the end user and making interesting discoveries with conversion optimisation. I also manage the server and migration of sites and setting up development sites. At least i got that down to an art. SEO on the other hand...

Started using SER and got a few sites penalized and then realized that it was trail and error and experience. So the best way is to start with testing sites and then learn and improve and then build up gradually. Long process if you only have a couple of hours a week. Also just starting to get my head around the best ways to use SER. 

So now I can build engaging sites, really fast and also sites that convert but still need to nail the system that gets them to rank. Let the experimentation continue....
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @ckp267 - You've done the hard work. Good design and conversion is much harder than SEO IMHO.
    SEO is very scientific and you can test, see the results, tweak and get better fairly easily.
    Good luck to you.
  • edited February 2014
    @ckp267 gooner is right, if you can create awesome sites or psychologically-appealing sites for customers then you're more than half way there. I can't create good looking sites but I can rank them. I'm sure that I could increase CRO with better design but I'm not too bothered at the moment. 

Also, if you can kill a site then you can rank a site. Just test, throttle back, test and see what sticks longest - SEO is forever changing and needs you to be fluid, so now in 2014 you could pick up new stuff on at the same time as seasoned-SEO pros and not have their years of experience, but still rank sites.

Don't forget to never get attached to a domain name, always have a batch of others on hand to swap the site over if you get a penalty. There's a Chrome add-on called Firebox or something that hunts for Godaddy coupons and if you buy more than 5 I'm sure there are discounts anyway. Have this in mind when you next buy domains. I always try and snap up .co.uk, .net, .com, .org.uk etc at the same time.
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks for the encouragement https://forum.gsa-online.de/profile/5262/gooner. https://forum.gsa-online.de/profile/5523/JudderMan I have been fortunate to learn how to make great sites because that's what clients pay us to do. Great design helps but I think real CRO happens in the MIND of the website user more than on the page. Words play a huge part in that and good copy should align with the thought process of the user. So even if the site is all text you can still convert if you match the users motivations and give them what they want. Design is emotional and can cause a user to "like" your site. But that won't get you the sale/signup/action/conversion. The right words in the right order is needed avoid the "nope-this-is-not-for-me" filter that we all use ourselves everyday. In my experience understanding the user and their motivation is critical. Then you align your copy, images and design. Nailing that combo can lead to the greatest jump in conversion. Totally agree with not getting too attached to domain. Easy to forget.
  • 45 and been in the web biz since before it was a web. Just a hobby/PT for most of that time but I was FT in the beginning and I am working on making it a supplemental income now.

I feel a bit shy about revealing personally identifying details but I have a job in the social services field working with people with disabilities. The only reason I mention this is some of the earlier stories in this thread are very family to me, "Was injured on the job needed a career change". Not my story but there are plenty like that here.

Former blue collar workers are my among my favorite clients because they know what work is all about and really appreciate a second chance.

Really I do have a dream of making a SEO/web-related biz to employ some of the clients that now need a desk job and face major barrier to re-hire in the "normal" job market.
  • Just hit 30 - no employment so I had to figure out a source of income. Started in October and made about 8 dollars this Feb I passed a grand. Not that much I know but I'm trying!

Started with YT vids but now trying to work out this SEO stuff to increase my skill set, income and potential employ-ability? Do any of you guys work as SEOs for clients or in-house?

This community/forum is great. Very helpful and respectful people here - glad I found it later than never.  Plus there are some amazing stories on these pages, truly inspirational from how you guys got back on the horse to how some of you guys are living/traveling too.

If anyone has any questions or advice feel free to PM me!

• Just hit 20 ! Been doing SEO since 15 or something.  All this is quite fasinating and the amount of potential IM has in general, is just mind blowing.
  • 34 years old, getting more grey haired for every day (still waiting for Liverpool to become league champions again).
  • Just bumping an old but nice thread :D
    Some people here it seems not on the forum anymore, like LeeG and some others....
  • 26 worked for 4 years in a SEO company then quit and started my website design company, doing SEO for my website and really sucking at it :p
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited September 2014
    27 and will be 28 in November. Wish I would have started sooner. :)
  • edited September 2014
    I'm a 20 year old Indian. Looking to make a full time passive income from SEO before I get pushed into a corporate job after my PG in next 3 yrs. :D@Pratik @Vijayaraj‌ Nice to see some Indians on here. Anyone from Tamil Nadu?
  • @Monie hey :D I'm from Chennai..
  • MorphManMorphMan British Expat lost in S.E Asia
    Nice thread, will chime in......I'm a 35 Brit .. Left England 12 years ago not been back since, lived in Dubai for 10 years now live in the Philippines for 2 years! SEO and online marketing is my full time income :D
  • There seems to be loads of British ex-pats in SEO. Not sure why :D
  • @Vijayaraj Nice! I am from Salem.
  • lol I'm just happy to see the majority around 27-35  Doesn't make me feel so old anymore. :)
  • KevinRBKevinRB Chiang Mai, Thailand
    edited September 2014
    Hi all I'm a very youthful 56, only got into IM 6 years ago as a way to keep the brain active as I officially retired at age 49 years....been full time at it pretty much ever since :) And yes I am also a British expat been living in Thailand for 7 years now.
  • @KevinRB That's really nice to hear Kevin. :):D
  • @KevinRB‌ I'm based in CM too mate. Living in the CM uni area and loving it. Left England as a student years ago and never went back to study again :D