Skip to content

SER & Tiers

Comments

• edited December 2013
    @sweeppicker @gooner I always wanted to ask strategy about scraping with scrapers like Gscraper/Scrapebox. For example, I follow Ron's diagram for tiered link building. So would it be better to scrape 1-1 day each for contextual and junk platforms separately or import altogether (all footprints) and scrape altogether? I currently started doing separately but my biggest problem is (I use gscraper) to avoid duplicate targets, I set to remove already used keywords in gscraper option. Now interchanging between the two, obviously I can't start with the remaining keywords as it'd lead to reset. So what's the best way to scrape for both platforms? Altogether or separately? Cheers.
  • Can I jump in and ask how you search using multiple footprints? This is next on my list of things to do, but want to ask in advance. I'm going to test something with footprints and will report back here, and share, if it does work.
  • @sweeppicker: how do you create your own footprints? Would like to know because I saw that mentioned here quite a few times now but all I can use are the footprints that come out of the box with gsa.

Lol, looks like you opened a can of worms here ;)
  • edited December 2013
    AA blogs have tons of unique footprints you can use to find more link sources.
  • @sweeppicker sorry for pinging back but could you possibly answer the earlier question of mine if possible? Thank you.
  • edited December 2013
    Pratik I only target contextual and blogging platforms in Gscraper. U can also expand your KW list from within Gscraper and find even more targets. It's quite simple ;) Hope that helps.

• edited December 2013
    @sweeppicker Cool. I assume by expanding you meant inbuilt kw list? If so, I already know about it however don't use it as I do have other sources. Oh and one more thing I wanted to ask, how you define contextual in SER, I mean what you guys usually check in "type of backlinks to create" for contextual links? Oh and just for curiosity, if you scrape with Gscraper (using their proxies?) what's your average URL scraping speed? Thanks.
  • I dont use the inbuilt KW list. If you go to the tab marked "expand" you can import your own Kws and expand the heck out of it. You need to use broadmatch Kws though. In GSA use the "article" and "social network" platforms. 
  • @sweeppicker That expand option looks interesting but I'm certainly getting less hold of it. Could you mention in a bit detail as to what exactly is it intended to do? I apologize for asking questions here and there haha, pardon me if it is wasting your time. :)
  • Sorry if I missed it, but what percentage are good for generic, domain, main anchors?
  • I usually leave domain as anchor to around 60%, generic as 30% and 10% for all my main keywords that I want to rank for. But this also depends on the number of keywords you want to rank for. For example if I want to rank for 5 keywords, then the 10% would do 2% for each which is good.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Hi @Pratik, how many links would that be in total for each tier? What I'm getting at is, 2% KW density is much safer if there is only 50 links... versus 50,000 links. 2% KW density with 50k links means there are 1000 identical anchors. I don't know if that is cutting it too fine (my numbers are similar).
  • @spunko2010 Well, I think you would do okay but I do not work at Google haha so can't give the exact prescription. But I mean, really think it might not be a problem at all.

You know what's really cool?

If you have an EMD domain or main kw in the title of your page/homepage, then many CMS and many forums/sites converts plain links and fetches the title for that page. And Google NEEDS TO TAKE that into account so it would consider so many times before penalizing you - at least that's what my logic says. So also buying more branded domains in opposite to EMD makes sense. So in the coming months, that is what my stratergy has been and would be. For example instead of dogtraining.com, I'd go with dogtrainingguide.com and use "Dog Training Guide" as more of an anchor text so it also covers up "dog training".

Although I feel very idiot to teach a high earner like you haha - by no means I am a professional or something. Learning something new each day! :)

Hope that helps.
  • Question for anyone...? The issue that has been bouncing around in my head a bit is this. Say I am attempting to rank for 500 keywords, each tied to a URL on a large site. So I keep my Tier One percentages 60% generic, 30% domain, and 10% keyword. In my lower tiers, I may be building a link to a link such as "click here", "http://domain.com/path/path/dest.html", or "keyword". When I build that link, my options in GSA are to use the same anchor text, or all of the other usual options. To avoid leaving a massive footprint I am forced to never use the same anchor text option, other wise I will have links to links with the same weird generic anchor text (e.g. "click the up coming internet site" so I cannot easily build a theme from tier to tier using keywords. Am I missing something, or overthinking this? 
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    @Pratik I don't really have a clue either, just trying to play it safe.
  • edited January 2014
    What I personally will be doing and still doing is even if an EMD domain is available - I won't pick it. Because day by day, Google is cutting on EMDs and sooner or later seems to be hit in penalty - mild or strong. Instead I want to make a brand and go for branded domains which also contains my main keyword. PMD in simple words.
  • what is PMD? partial match domain?

• PMD means also Phrase Match Domain, in the past was a second and less effective option than EMD, but nowadays  it's becoming more and more effective :-)
  • @Pratik - I normally use PMDs and they work well, but if I got the chance, I would snap up an EMD in a second.
    They work great, but you just have to be a bit careful how you use them.
  • @Pratik, as far as I can see, all that they are saying is that they are going to be looking at low quality EMDs, so if you build a decent site (which for the most part you need to anyway, in order for it to convert and to help it rank), and you don't over optimise it, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

What everyone, including the author of the article seems to miss, is that (provided you don't over optimise the site) you can build lots of keyword rich anchor text links to EMDs without ever risking tripping any filters (I'll let you figure out how :P )

That said, this is google that we're talking about, so who knows? lol
  • donchinodonchino https://pbn.solutions
    @Pratik @2Take2 this info is from 2012, someone just updated their blog with related content
  • @donchino I agree but I did started seeing the effects. One of the niche sites that I am building currently that has no EMD or even PMD and the rankings are coming good (good content btw on site). However, some emds or pmds have tanked in last month or so.

I know these reports are not enough, but we can also not neglect that to rank, EMDs are not needed at all and you can still achieve those results building a brand.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @2take2 - You're right and it works very very well. In local business markets i always try and go for EMD's and i've never had anything but good results.
  • Does anyone have a specified link velocity for their kitchen sinks? Since these are the more spammy platforms, I'm just keeping any sort of velocity off and letting them hammer my T1, T2, and T3.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I start at 10X and then after about 1-2 months I raise it to 20X. I want to see terms in the top 50 before flipping it to a higher multiple as I want to take that momentum and up the stakes. Most of the time it works well.
  • @ron do you still use your link pyramid or just did some tweaks? thx
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Honestly the advice hasn't really changed. It's just a basis for setting up a solid tier structure. It separates contextuals from junk - which is maybe the most important point. I don't always do 3 tiers now, mainly to conserve resources on an already packed VPS.

Remember this isn't an SEO plan. This is just my view on how to tier. All the things that are SEO - many of which have nothing to do with all of this - well, that is a separate deal. 
  • Great thread this, thanks!

Is this still working in 2014?
    I read some changes in the PR filters during this thread. If I go with no PR filters on everything except Wiki's and Blog comments should I be fine than?

Thanks