Skip to content

GSA+CS crashing servers?

Comments

• poweruphostingpoweruphosting Los Angeles
    edited November 2012
    @Sven Yes, you are correct, CS does queues them and this is why the thread is usually a bit fluctuating. But this shouldn't be an issue really
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven & @captchasniper - am I correct in saying that CS probably slows down GSA a bit. In that it has to throttle the captchas it sends and then wait for CS to solve it. 

I have no idea if it is possible, but what if you had 2 or more CS programs on your VPS and the GSA just the captchas to whichever one is free? This could really speed it up and resolve the bottleneck a bit. 

Anyways...I try and use higher PR, so not an issue really for me, but just an idea. 
  • OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    I don't think that your suggestion works because the CPU power is already used by a single CS session to solve captchas. The CPU power doesn't double up if you are using 2 sessions of CS ;)
  • Glad to see you guys are working towards this, as far as myself i made a batch file that kills CS every 3h (tried 6h but it wasnt enough for me), since GSA SER launches it as needed there is no need to launch it manually; it has survived to the first night, so it's good for now.

But yesterday i was thinking about something curious, i don't know this for a fact, but i think CS is older than GSA SER, and is used for a lot more software than just SER, do other programs also have these compatibility issues using CS ?

• yea , i'm having this problem too !
    seems the problem is from CS  because when i closed CS the memory usage dropped to 45% , when it was around 91%
    i think the CS is causing the server crashes , and hopefully this gets fixed soon !
  • Right now we do the same as pisco - works fine with one restart a day.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    next version will restart CS every 30 minutes if wanted (optional)
  • Its been fixed and will be relesaed in the next 48 hours :)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @captchasniper - will it have all the definitions that have been shared here included or must we still update them manually?
  • I will release a patch, so it wont affect this
  • I know this goes without saying but this is really great that this forum has vetted these problems and things are getting resolved. Thanks to all.
  • cool , today's update seems to be solving the problem , thanks Sven
  • edited November 2012
    CaptchaSniper

Do you send eMail to your user base when an update of CS is available ?

Because I don't see an option on CS for an update check.

regards...
  • edited November 2012
    @ ninjas - yes I email my customers and post on forums

@ Sven - already getting support tickets about problem with GSA shutting down CS.  Please remove this, as Ill have a fix for it out shortly.  Also, please don't work on things like so much 'in your own box'.  Something like this I would appreciate a direct discussion on :) Im sure you would want the same.

And here is the the patch for all concered ... leak fixed and significant tess pop up reduction ... you can use mine now sven instead of yours :)

Happy Thanksgiving! :)
    hmm so people enable the option to restart CS every 30 minutes and wonder why it restarts? Seriously, what customers do we have :-B 
  • I certainly didn't complain about the new restart feature but when I checked this morning, GSA had restarted 6 versions of CS and it created a "port 80, another device is currently using this port" error.

Gonna try the new CS version now.  Thank you both for the continuing work you do for support.  Always appreciated!
  • @ captchasniper - how do I install the patch ? Because link you posted above ask for license as I would install the software for the first time, doesn't look like a patch to me and I'm afraid to continue , it might invalidate the current version and I would have no tool anymore , at least for a while.
    thats not a patch but a patched executable. So you must exchange your original exe with that one and it should work.
  • this is the way I did it and it is working just fine.

backup the CS program folder just in case.

extract the zip file

copy over and replace the exe file in the CS program folder.

that's it.
  • ah, I see. 
    Yup, made the replacement as suggested and it works, thanks for the tip.
  • edited November 2012
    @captchasniper 
    Thanks for the update. Lets see how this goes.
  • @mikie - yeah i havent had a chance to look at your problem yet, but it wont be long.. today some time. but I initially tested it here and its ok.  Im assumiing something is off with your db and file structure.  Perhaps from using the GSA tool.. im not sure, but ill let ya know as soon as I login and take a look.
  • edited November 2012
    The annoying Tesseract.exe issue is still unresolved. @CaptchaSniper stated that with the new .exe replacement this issue would happen less often but for me, after running the new .exe for the past 2 days, its happening even more than ever!!

Now, every time i log in to my server i see the Tesseract box open. This used to happen sometimes and not always on Win2008 R2. Its always happening now. And it randomly appears daily, more than 3 times (Arrrggggggggggg) a day.

So this annoying thing is still around. Please dont ask me to run another program to counter act it. I ll simply switch back to the old version regardless of the memory leak. My updated consisted of a rename so i can still do that without a problem.
  • @mikie46
    +1 here for annoying Tesseract.exe error (Windows 7 server), problem is that you can't rely on software to run overnight, during the day I do check it but when I leave it to work unmonitored it pops up that error and after a while whole thing crashes...
  • Does anyone face the problem like mine? the CSX is not responding after running a while... yes, my VPS doesn't shut down but the CSX is not responding cause no captcha being solve by CSX.

Anyone face the same problem?
  • @darman82 something similar happened to me today. No teseract error, but CS was not responding and GSA SER started new CS instance so there were 2 active CS and everything was so slow... I think that CS went to not responding and when GSA needed captcha to resolve it simply started new instance...
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited November 2012

@mikie46 I agree. I now have 5X the number of Tesseract errors and things slowed down, so I went back and replaced the old .exe file back in the CS folder. I haven't been experiencing the leakage issue like some of the others, so for me I will wait until the fix gets a little better tuned up by CS.

@darman82 I saw that I was getting a bunch of Terreract errors and things weren't running as smoothly, so I shut everything down and replaced the old .exe file. I sensed I was heading in the direction you described, and decided to roll back.

• I counted 32 times Tesseract.exe needed closing today. Ridiculous.
  • I'm noticing that CS is freezing a lot,  I mean a ton,   I did the initial beta testing with this new CS update  and for me personally Yes I have seen a huge drop in tesseract errors,  It's wierd that it would drop for me but not you guys.   

but with how much it is freezing lately is making it very hard for me to run,  I have 7 servers  so I have to check each one like 3-4 times a day.  Does anyone have a link to the old .exe  i'd like to roll back as well.  I'd rather put up with the tesseract errors than it freezing up all the time.
  • I have been testing CS older version with new (memory leak fixed patch).

After running Fixed patch, it crashes a lot no matter how many threads I put in, I tried with like 17 threads and so... It's all the same... Now after testing:
    • Running new CS version overnight, keeps crashing, GSA keeps restarting it, Port 80 issues, lot of CS instances not responding and opened with Port 80 error (this actually makes sense because when ONE CS is started it takes up port 80, then when GSA starts new one, port 80 is taken etc... I have to say that I think NEW version works faster then previous one on same settings. Not to mention tesseract.exe error...
    • Running OLD version (just before patch) does indeed run a bit slower (or I think so), but it is stable so far and does not crash server...

I do have to recommend something to all users, I think there is absolutely no point of setting CS to do retries if Captcha is wrong, as I think that effects stability of the software and I'm not even sure if GSA knows that captcha that CS sent is wrong or right... 

Hm, does this even makes sense? As I've read somewhere that CS has no idea if captcha is right or wrong... So how does GSA knows?

In that case does GSA actually keeps sending SAME captcha to CS to read it again for 3 times (or how many retries we set)? Does this makes sense?

Just my observation on the issue...