Skip to content

GSA Best Practice (Part 1 - GSA & Other Services Setup)

Comments

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Links fixed. :-)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2013

Hey @GG, great job! Glad I saw this thread. So I want to say thanks for taking the time, and I have a few comments:

One trick I have done with Categories is to go into BMD and go through each category list for each bookmarking site in that software. The category list is already programmed for each bookmarking platform - so if you already have that software, it will save you some time and you will find the best categories to use for whatever you are promoting.

On the "Collect keywords from target sites" and the "Use collected keywords to find new targeted sites" - I would like someone to confirm that is the most desirable setting. I thought that Devin (s4nt0s) in his video always left that unchecked, and unfortunately I can't remember the reason he did that. I have left those unchecked, and I see Ozz is doing the same thing. So if there is a reason to check it, it would be great to know the reason.

I think you can still post to German and Polish sites with English spintax - and I have been simply pasting in the same English 250 and 450 character spins in there. I believe you will still get posts submitted. At least I have been doing that.

That was a great tip on leaving *unchecked* the "Automatically disable bad proxies on use". I have 30 private proxies, and earlier today I found that all were unchecked - which means I was running naked with my IP on my ISP. Ouch!! I never thought about unchecking that. (*Sven* - maybe unchecked should be the default - that could cause people some serious problems with their IP address).

I'm glad you took the time to do this. Thanks!

• i bookmarked this thread, but imho, this should be a super sticky one,

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - I am trying to get more advanced users feedback on the "collect keywords" options...I figured that it would prevent the program from running out of links and you having to load new keywords. Thinking is that when you initially load the 1000 keywords you would have covered 80% of the keywords available that add value, so this was an easy way to keep the program going without having to spend ages to find or generate new keywords. 
  • Just compare the keywords you get with "collect keywords" and decide if they are relevant to your niche or not.

-> project options -> keyword tool
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ozz - this is a fantastic tip! I knew it was there, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. You're right...this really is generating unrelated keywords. 

SO - that begs the question "What is this option for? As it seems to get unrelated keywords. It seems a redundant option and it would be better to use global lists than this option?"
  • I use it for Tier2+ sites if they are not using global lists.

I suggested to Sven to collect the keywords from SEs a while ago. He said that he can do it, but I think that it takes time to implement something like this. So we have to wait for something like that and adding keywords with the help of other tools like scrapebox.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ozz - using keywords from SE's is a much much better idea! (@Sven - is this on the todo list at all?) 
  • My experience on this setting is that it is better to leave it off, it really gets thousands of unrelated keywords, that if used would be a waste of resources.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I also found that I got a lot of unrelated keywords when I used that option, so I leave it unchecked. However...

I would agree with Ozz that as you go down the tiers, the relevance of the keyword becomes less important - so I think it would make sense to check it on maybe Tier 2, and Tier 3 for sure, if you are set-up that deep on tiers.

And GG, I also agree, especially on Tiers 2 & 3, that you will run out of targets if you don't have a way of automatically expanding the keyword list. That's why in the meantime it might be better to check off the box for collecting keywords, especially tier 2 & 3.

What I do for keywords is go into google KWT, select broad match, stick in a keyword and grab the 801 keywords it gives me. Problem solved.

• Global, do we need to delete the original blacklist - which lists akismet, comments moderated, etc.? You mentioned we do, but aren't the original list good or not?
  • edited October 2012
    I have some questions:

1) When do we use global sites list or not? Because the original option you put, GlobalGoogler, is to leave uncheck "use urls from global site lists"
    2) Should I say that the best practice is that for 1st tiers is that you UNCHECK collect and use keywords (but you CHECK use global list sites) and for the 2nd/3rd tiers you CHECK collect and use keywords (but you UNCHECK use global list sites)? So what this does is that for 1st tiers you get more relevant backlinks but for the other tiers, it's OK to get less relevant backlinks and also search from other sites than those on global lists (since you don't want the same backlinks for 2nd/3rd tiers as you have on the 1st tier). Comments?
    3) The option "always use keywords to find target sites", I mean, isn't this what GSA does already? If you don't check "analyze and post to competitor's backlinks", doesn't it then automatically only use keywords to find target sites? Or am I missing something?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I remove the original blacklist as I hope my comments are good enough to get approved. Leaving this would reduce the list of target URL's a lot. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @jonathanjon - trying to get some more clarity on issue 3 on this thread. 

I use global site lists for things other than my money site. E.g. tier 2 or tier 3.BUT it does use up a lot of threads, so use it for pages you want links to build those pages up. 

I also posted another thread here on a similar issue:
    (To identify which platforms are best to build tier 2 links to, so as to not waste resources) - just waiting for some more feedback from various users. 
  • GlobalGoogler, thanks, I've checked out those threads. Could you tell me why you use global lists only for the other tiers and not for backlinks to your money sites? What is the rational there? Thanks.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Global lists gives you a range of unrelated URL's...that's why I don't use for moneysite. 
  • I apologize for what may seem like a stupid question.  New to GSA and I think I've already done a few stupid things that might get my site sandboxed, because I'm failing to understand some things.

Group 1 - Project 3 (Directory Submissions Tier 2), which is the last screen shot above...I just want to make sure that that screenshot shows the intended checkmarks for "Where to Submit."  I guess I'm not understanding why I would create blog comments or video comments, for example, with a link to my directory submission?  I saw GlobalGoogler's comment with the screenshot, so I think I understand that it's to increase the PR, but I was just curious about the logic behind the options selected in that screenshot for "Where to Submit."  Why not Web 2.0's for this, too?

And so everyone can have a good laugh at my expense, and because I still can't believe how stupid I was, I enabled a project just like Group 1- Project 3, pointing to my directory submissions in Group 1- Project 2 and forgot to overwrite the "TEST" data.  I did figure it out an hour or so later but not before several dozen backlinks were created with awesome anchor text that says TEST, and awesome comments that just say "TEST".  It was my first campaign...hopefully I didn't ruin my website, and hopefully I learned my lesson.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    "Why not Web 2.0's for this, too?" - many of these you can only create 1 account per email as well as they have recaptcher which CS can't solve, so don't need to waste captchas creating these for tier 2's. 
  • live cam girls
    livecamgirls

seems to be missing from the badwords list as this is a very popular
  • Thanks GG for a VERY USEFUL post

• thanks for this, just curious, as updates come out and things change like new options and new search engines etc will you be updating the first post?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Yes, I am planning a new post, but it needs new screenshots and settings...I'm travelling ATM, the so just a bit short of time. But will do it soon I hope. 
  • Hi I love this post and 2 but
    I'm not very clear

Could you make a video? would you do me a big behalf

English is not my first language

What settings to use for microniches?
    regards

• Thanks for this. Very useful information that should be stickied.
  • Awesome post... thanks!
  • Hello:
    I'm trying to update the list that comes with the software about "Skip sites where following words appear"
    Firstly I clicked the link mediafire.com/view/?c336cz00datyslb which was in the previous post but I get an error message stating that the file was deleted, can anybody provide a list ? 
    Thanks.
  • Thanks for this, best overview I've seen yet.
    Invaluable to help us newbies to GSA get started.
  • Thanks for the great guide. I am new to gsa. It seems the mediafire links are not working. Could someone kindly post it again? Thanks.
  • This thread has a lot of useful info... but the thread below is more current with more recent settings. It helped me a lot.

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/2611/my-gsa-ser-config-full-monty-warning-low-lpm#Item_22
  • Why do you put the category names like: *Category*? I only put mine in as: Category.

What am I missing out on?