Another way I have used 301 Nuke is to use it as a second level 301 Redirect. I had some aged domains which had content which I 301 redirected to my money site. I then put these domains into 301 Nuke.
I have had great success with the following: -
GSA / ScrapeBox -> 301 Nuke URL's -> 301 Aged Domain -> Money Site
301 Nuke is just a tool like any other SEO software. If it is used in the right way then it can be very powerful (same as GSA or Scrapebox). Simply running your money site through the software isn't going to do much. However, running your HQ Tier 1's and our money site through it and then backlinking your 301 Nuke URL's you are going to see results. You need to use it along with your other methods. The software is used to complement your backlinking methods.
Unfortunelty I can't give you my keywords as these are for my own projects / customers sites. Some sites (parasites) I have had top places in a few weeks. I have pushed a local keyword for a customer to #1 in a few weeks but I have been using 301 Nuke with my other SEO methods / tools.
End of the day all I can say is experiment. I use 301 Nuke in lots of different ways. Some work some not so much. It's all about experimenting.
There are a few reasons: -
1) 301 Nuke URL's are created on 400 separate domains (unique IP's and some with PR) so you are getting the benefits of passing PR / authority to your money site or Tier 1's/
2) Some people build links to a buffer site (web 2.0 or tinyurl etc). 301 Nuke creates 400+
3) 301 Nuke gives a buffer between your money site / Tier 1 sites
4) You can also have a multi-layered 301 redirect (301 Nuke URL -> Your domain 301 redirect -> Money site) giving an additional layer of protection.
5) Not everybody has 400+ domains to use as a 301 redirect.