Skip to content

Massive Rank Drops!

Comments

• Real time updates are only a good thing for us. If you screw up, you get hit but that should technically mean that you can bounce back just as fast. 
  • shaunshaun https://www.youtube.com/ShaunMarrs
    @judderman mate i'm loving it, the amount of test data I have got in the past few days is crazy.

I know penguin is based on links but I think they might have done something to their onpage algo too as KWD changes are updated within hours now.
  • edited September 2016
    My ranks drop too, but only one of my sites.
    I've done some on page changes, there are no multi word's density greater than 3%.
    It's been nearly a week now, nothing change.

All my link drop at 9/16, that day I just bought a buzzfeed link. I ask seller to remove the link today, see what would happened.

Like Viking said, the rank drop site almost all links were built within 60 these days.
  • Hi all, Here is a newsletter from a NYC based seo team that I know that works for a presidential candidate. they seemed to be wired in on things most times. the take away here for me; 1. penguin is now real-time 2. penguin targets spammy links

So, it is good news for us. An entire site is no longer penalized. They can penalize down to the querie level. Also, the page can recover more quickly when you fix the issues. But clearly PBN's must now be a major part of your seo strategy. Adding the PBN layer pushes the spammy layers one further layer away from your MS.

The newsletter seems to tie in with my previous comments on this thread, that recent links/platforms activity are now being watched more closely by G, and while not penalizing your site, they also don't benefit your site. Better content, better on-page, seems to be the key.

Newsletter:

Google announced Friday that it has finally released an updated version of its Penguin algorithm, designed to combat spammy backlinks, as part of its core algorithm.

The brief blog post, published on Google’s Webmaster Central blog, noted two major differences between Penguin 4.0 and previous versions of the algorithm.

Penguin is now real-time. Historically, the list of sites affected by Penguin was periodically refreshed at the same time. Once a webmaster considerably improved their site and its presence on the internet, many of Google’s algorithms would take that into consideration very fast, but others, like Penguin, needed to be refreshed. With this change, Penguin’s data is refreshed in real time, so changes will be visible much faster, typically taking effect shortly after we recrawl and reindex a page. It also means we’re not going to comment on future refreshes.

Penguin is now more granular. Penguin now devalues spam by adjusting ranking based on spam signals, rather than affecting ranking of the whole site.

Penguin 4.0 arrives nearly two years after the previous update. It follows almost a year of missed deadlines and announcements that its arrival was imminent. The infrequency of Penguin updates was a frequent complaint from webmasters whose sites ran afoul of the algorithm. A penalized site that undertook backlink cleanup would still have to wait months and even years for a data refresh. Incorporating Penguin as a real-time factor within Google’s core algorithm should alleviate this issue.

The increased “granularity” is also a welcome change. Previously, Penguin would affect an entire site, potentially devaluing useful content. Though Google’s announcement is characteristically vague, the change likely means that a Penguin penalty may now be applied on a directory, page, or even query level.

As always, webmasters should ensure they are following Google’s guidelines for backlinks. While the real-time nature of the algorithm means that affected sites may recover faster after cleaning up a backlink profile, it also makes the effects of Penguin vastly more difficult to isolate, since a drop in rankings can no longer be tied to an announced algorithm update–a powerful incentive for brands and webmasters to follow 

• Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    Same shit, different day.
  • Anymore info on this? I've read all of your comments, interesting..
    I had a multiniche with 135 niches, all content/onpage is all done manually and correctly by me. Unique descriptions etc.
    Now i had another site which was a single niche. This got affected at exactly the same time this morning as the traffic died at the same time roughly.

Can it be hosting related? Or am i just overthinking?
    I never have my sites in WMT because in the past its only ended up worse. But i put my single niche site into WMT and it says "thin content"... This is bullshit.

If my multi has the same reason to be affected it's absolute garbage because i had 135 niches all with outstanding unique quality content, it was slapped the same time.

Should i try the multi in WMT? Or should i leave it alone.

The only thing I can think of, last night i scraped high PA tumblrs. I was tired so i just done 1, to a niche on my multi. It was PA 30, i added an image and some text, and had exact match anchor text linking to a niche within the multiniche site.
    Could it be the EMA ? 
    because it seemed like a few hours later and its fucked.
    I'm not de indexed, niches which were #1 are not 71, 2 > 90.. etc
    Any info will be appreciated. Gonna come back stronger than ever this time.
  • a little more feedback. G is updating the content in the index real-time. I changed out a page content this morning and it is already updated in the index. No more cached index listings waiting to be crawled. This is significant. Now we can experiment in real-time. Good and bad we will find out what works. The beauty here is that you can zero in on the competition and see what is working for them.
    Penguin has been about links. I am guessing that they are now able to analyze links in real-time too. The question is, what counts as a good link now? and what is a bad link now?
    High quality, unique on-page content is a must now. PBN layer a good thing. The rest I would love to hear advice on.
    @Viking Glad someone else picked up on the onpage update seeming close to real time now too, i'm loving that side of the update.
  • @shaun right on! I am building content silos on-site now. If G is watching on-site then it is definitely time to show them keyword/subject matter expertise. 

Just have to sort out the off-site linking schemes. Then business as usual. Any observations on your side?
  • Tins1960Tins1960 United States
    Very true. It is definite that web 2.0 and PBN must look and operate as real sites now as well.
  • @tins1960 yep. I am seeing sites with FCS/RW/RankerX 2.0's being picked off and pages dropping nearly real-time right now. Amazing that G can do this. Quite an interesting upgrade to their algo. 

@viking nothing prooven on live sites, been doing loads of testing and looking to push some projects live this weekend to see how the react.
  • @viking true because part of my method was rankerX 2.0's for my tier 1
  • Still doing well with Web 2.0. It depends on how you build your links, like don't put links in every post you have, don't put your money sites in every post you have. The gist here is to make them look more natural. Just imagine how you would do it if you have to do it manually. I also use PBN though.
  • Hi all, something just occurred to me. As we scramble to sort out penguin and how to by-pass the effects on our sites of real-time results....spin the hat around a bit. If G sees things in real-time, and penalizes in real-time....isn't this the best case scenario for all of us??? I don't advocate this and likely won't pursue it beyond this discussion, but, what happens if you load up an exact match ser project and aim it right at a competitor? In theory, this would wash them away from the index. Maybe that is the best test of penguin rather than trying to sort out our own on-site issues? i.e. If your competitor withstands the onslaught, then we know links are not the issue to overcome.
    @viking in theory that would work but I doubt it would in practise.

A while back I tried to neg SEO one of my own sites on purpose to see how much it took, it was ranked on page 3 after millions of gash links it is still on page 3.

There is a massive difference between negative SEO and bad SEO that doesnt not benefit a site.
  • @shaun wishful thinking on my part. still I need to get my head around how to use the real-time adjustments to best advantage. I am seeing more media type sites rising in my vertical as opposed to product selling sites. 
  • @dannyorder3X% exact and 2X% LSI+partial is crazy high. With that kind of ratio you were begging for a drop.
  • @komakino sorry for my miss type, it's 2.x and 3.x%.

After I remove bad links and correct my on page, now my post rank is back to page 2.

But I'm not sure which link cause the drop.
  • had a site drop 10 positions probably due to 30%+ exact anchor. built a few hundred branded/domain links and it jumped back within hours. this is crazy.
  • @kijix84

My site may have lost its branding, due to me searching the brand name and not finding it.

My niches on that site have went from 1 > 40, 2 > 36

etc.

Should I do the same? I started creating a few branded links, but not hundreds, did you blast?
    if your domain isn't appearing first page for "www.domain.com" and "domain . com" when searched for, then it's highly likely the domains has been given a penalty, ditch it.
  • edited October 2016
    @Tim89
    It does when I do that, I'm meaning when i search the brand name.
    It used to be #1 with all the categories and pages as other links within the snippet.
    Now when I search the brand name, a strong backlink shows up #1 with some other backlinks and my domain being page 5.
    @Anth20 Have you gone overboard with that phrase in your anchor text?
  • @Tim89 One of my niche urls has 89% url as anchor with 600+ backlinks.
    This shows up on the main domain backlink profile, as 43% on the main anchor cloud. Could that be it? Need to build more branding links but I'm not sure where or how to do it HQ
  • When I now google my brand name, The main domain is page 6
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited October 2016
    Thats pretty low, it should be position 1.

301 that shit.
  • manubossmanuboss https://seorankhigher.net/service/
    "301 that shit"
    can you explain ?
  • Hi all, Just circling back here. Had one of my sites that got hit a bit. I did some research and saw one keyword spiked in % for anchor text links for some reason. I suspect it was a negative seo attempt by a competitor. So that and a few other keywords dropped out of the index, i.e. from page 1/2 to page 10+. So, I did two things this week as I had little to lose at this point; i manually wrote high quality articles, manually spun them, and used broader anchor text to dilute things. Then loaded on SER articles only, direct at the MS. 8 inner pages involved. I put about 100 links per page, per day. This site has 40k+ so it can handle pretty much anything.
    The other thing I did, I went into my webmaster account and saw a big list of blog comments from Korea blogs aimed at my site. I scooped up the list and against my better judgement loaded them into a UTF-8 file and sent as disavow to G. That was late last night.
    First thing this a.m. all of the keywords are back, and a bit higher than before. 
    Have no idea if the % issue did it, or the disavow did it. One of them clearly had an effect. A big effect.
    Going to watch this for a day or two to see what happens. If they hold steady, I am going to scrape through for more links to disavow and see if that does the trick.
    Will report back.
  • manubossmanuboss https://seorankhigher.net/service/
    how do you judge link to disavow ? only from geo or with metrics ?