Skip to content

how do you guys do onpage seo now?

123457»

Comments

• @icarusvn: Using nofollow to sculpt link juice is ineffective. Google killed it a few years back. If you nofollow a link, the link juice is still deducted from the total leaving your page. It just doesn't help the page you are linking to. You are basically just dumping link juice on the floor.

@dayker: I wouldn't worry much about URLs. Google doesn't put too much weight on them any more. Matt Cutts did a video blog and basically told e-commerce sites not to bother reworking their dynamic URLs because it wouldn't make much difference.

BTW, if you have a large site, and you aren't siloing it, you are a FOOL!!! It's simple logic. Google weighs internal links the same way they weigh external ones. If a site about football gets a link from a site about lipstick, the link is going to be devalued. Same-same on your internal links. If you have a page about lipstick and link it to a page about football, the link is devalued. If that link could pass 100 theoretical points of link juice, only a fraction of those "points" gets used by the target page because it isn't relevant. The rest gets dumped on the floor. If you have a large website, and are interlinking irrelevant pages, you are hemorrhaging link juice.

If you're Amazon - they don't give a shit because they have a huge pool of link juice. If you have a PR3 home page, how you distribute link juice matters - a lot.

For my day job, I was just hired to run SEO for a $400 million ecommerce company. My second order of business is siloing the company's 7 websites that sell over 12,000 products. First order of business was keyword research, which I just finished. What a pain in the balls that was. 

The company was targeting bad (too competitive or low volume)  KWs, and the sites, which are PR5s can't get ranked for anything because of their linking structure. If you have 400+ links on your home page (which they do), you are spraying link juice everywhere, and nothing gets ranked.

I have a team of developers, and we are pulling out every white hat trick in the book. These sites are going to be themed tighter than a gnat's arse.
  • @Satans_Apprentice‌ may I ask your opinion on the different methods of building a silo?

Would I be right in my assumption that the type of silo depends entirely on the page or keywords that you wish to rank.

Daisy chaining of topic/category articles was mentioned earlier in this post and will serve the purpose of ranking several pages/keywords, perhaps if the competition is poor in the niche you are targeting.

Wheras the linking to a parent page from each child 'powers' or attempts to push that page higher.

So it is entirely down to the flow of link juice and this can be manipulated as seen fit. This being true, and user friendliness aside, sites can be constructed/modified to 'power' or push single money pages higher.

This is my understanding currently and I will further modify a test site in line with your advice to control the link juice flow 'tighter than a ngats ass'.

I imagine modifying a large e-commerce site would be a real pain. Particularly one in which you need corporate approval for UX changes. Best of luck.
  • @icarusvn: Perfect silo structure is pretty simple. Pages only link up and down. At the bottom of the silo, all children link to each other and up to the parent. In practice, it's not that easy. The pervasive top nav bleeds a lot of authority. Fortunately, I know about 4 ways to hide navigation from Google, and I have a team of developers chomping at the bit to do it. The plan is to block our top nav to Google, and build an alternate link architecture for distributing link juice. We have the ability to sculpt link juice with incredible precision. If I have a product or category with low search volume or there's too much competition, I can shut off link juice entirely, but still have users be able to navigate to it. We will have a navigation system for bots and a separate nav for humans.

By my calculations, we are going to be running at about 90% link juice efficiency.
  • cloaking the nav, fascinating. do please update in the coming weeks/months.
  • It works, and it's 100% white hat. I won't talk about how I do it. It's my secret sauce. BTW, we also block the footer, which also bleeds ranking power.

It keeps a lot of people happy. I don't have to cut back on the links in the top nav, which is always a huge fight with marketing. They can put 1000 links up there as far as I am concerned.
  • Too many hints... 
  • @icarusVN I didn't invent it, but it took me 2 years to figure it out
  • Hey guys reading all this things about siloing makes me wonder if there are any WP templates out there ?
  • easypeasyeasypeasy easypeasy.rocks
    there are plugins, but wordpress by default sucks at doing proper silos.
  • @Seljo‌ @easypeasy‌: you can silo with WP, but you can't hide the top nav or the footer, and they bleed authority. It's definitely worth Siloing in WP, but it's not nearly as efficient as building from scratch.
  • the genesis extender plugin for the genesis framework allows very simple removal of the navbar on a per page basis but this is not exactly user friendly except for landing pages... and the cogs turn...
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I think using a wordpress template you would have to get a coder involved. It is so easy to do this with an html site, but wordpress is another story.
  • easypeasyeasypeasy easypeasy.rocks
    i think you could do it with wordpress too, i think I've done plugins doing this in the past, but can't remember exactly anymore. but wordpress is just not needed. normally you would want to generate the whole site. you don't want to do this manually, and you also don't want to pay for all that content because that's hundreds of articles (at least).
  • MorphManMorphMan British Expat lost in S.E Asia
    edited September 2014
    @everyone .. Some interesting info here! .. You have twisted my arm and I'm going to give this silo a try on a new site. Looking for an opinion on this plugin, is it going to set up the silos correctly?
  • @icarusVN: For usability, you don't want to remove the top navigation, You want to mask it so Google doesn't see or follow the links.
  • I recently read an interesting article about how on-page SEO is becoming the new off-page SEO and I though it was really interesting. It was written by one of the more known SEOs around today, you should check it out :)
  • edited September 2014
    It looks for me more and more that wordpress and such CMS becoming hard to manage...

About off page stuff what keywords is better to use for anchors to link your man page ? 
    I think any mix is good, even if you do not have article in page about that. I mean:

If you have page about web hosting then you can easy add any anchor what is web hosting related, even if you do not have article optimized for that keyword. 

Example web hosting is very good i think is good anchor to link main page. 

Am I right ?
  • Another point is what I'm not sure is if I have website with 30 articles but all of them are keywords I'm using is very close to each other. 

Example: kids clothes is main term and all other 30 terms is low searched terms like with 200 searches per month. Do I still need to split them in SILO ? If yes then how can i split them if they are very close to each other. 

I can split like kids girl clothes and kids boys clothes, but then i have some articles what is related to both boys and girls. Then what Should i split in 3 categories. Boys - Girls - Together ? 

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    edited September 2014
    @botman - You can rank one article for boys, girls, kids. But it would be much easier to group keywords in those categories and keep them separate.

For example, category: kids clothes

Keywords:
    cheap kids clothes
    discount kids clothes
    designer kids clothes
    kids clothes for school
    kids clothes online
    etc

You can rank for all of those in one article and sure maybe some are only 200 searches per month, but
    a) That's what the keyword tool says, that's not a factual number and
    b) Lots of small searches per month are easy to rank for and combined they offer some decent volume.
  • After looking at this closely over the last few weeks. I think the Keyword tool gives a good indication as to how you should silo. It groups searches with a similar intent.

So if your seed keyword is "kids clothes" and the keyword tool gives you similar searches for both girls and boys, you can create two subsilos below.
    Kids clothes
    Boys clothes
    Cheap boys clothes
    Boys school uniforms
    X5
    Girls clothes
    Cheap girls clothes
    Girls school uniforms
    X5

Anyway just want to make the point that google's keyword tool indicates good related topics for siloing and shows the searcher's intent.
  • My formating was stripped from the above post.
  • Q that hasn't been answered (if it has been, i apologize)

My main site is a local service business built on wordpress and woocommerce (www.mainsite.com)
    My blog is another wordpress installation as (www.mainsite.com/blog/)

If I silo my blog site, would I pass the same link juice value? Or it would lose value for being a subsite?
    Thanks
  • My understanding is yes, as it is the domain that is important and not the individual installation of WordPress. However my experience is limited. And if you look at the material here and referenced, it is the links that pass the juice. So were you to manually link your blog posts to your static pages(on topic and relevant) then they would pass juice.
    I am no expert though, but this is something I am very interested in and currently testing. There was a set of videos mentioned and I have seen the recommended elsewhere also.
  • I just --------------->nofollow <-------------all my pages in my
    Top navigation from Bleeding Juice, and use a sidebar Menu in Wordpress.
    Top Nav in wordpress is static, leaks alot of juice. 

But i have a custom built silo plugin, that i can add the silo menu to the sidebar through 
    the widgets dashboard. All my silos and child pages are all automatically linked up and 
    down automatically. 

Silo'ing makes life alot easier, esp local seo, i can rank keywords very easily. All my main
    silos, are what i want to rank for, then i build child pages to each silo, say the main silo is
    plumbing, then i want to rank for a keyword in local search in google, if i have a plumbing
    company in austin texas, i go to google and type plumbing austin tx, look at the bottom of the page, 
    and see --->plumbing supplies austin tx. then i create a child page, plumbing supplies austin tx, 
    add 750 word articles and pics, and within weeks, im on the first page for that keyword! no 
    backlinking at all, while at the same time, i am making the silo ----> plumbing rank for more keywords,
    or making it rank higher in the serps!

the way i look at it, is your basically making each silo into its own website, so if you have 5 main
    pages, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, repair work, installation, all built with child pages are 
    basically mini websites built into the main website. Very little link juice needed to rank for local seo.