Skip to content

Recommended VPS that works well

Comments

• Thanks Ozz.  Sven at Berman has recommended changing to windows server 2008.  Is that the same as Win2008?  

He is changing it now so fingers crossed!
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    yes, i meant win server 2008 :)

i just remembered of this tutorial for scrapebox how to tweak your tcp/ip connections. 
    i wonder if this gonna help for SER as well? any thoughts on this?

PS: this is very advanced stuff, so don't blame me if something goes wrong when tweaking your OS ;)
  • I am far too much of a newb for messing with that kind of stuff Ozz!  I will leave that to the experts amongst us!  :O
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I use windows 7 on 3 Berman VPS's - no issues as all. Fast service, good support. No issues. Just keep the programs you install to a minimum. 
  • poweruphostingpoweruphosting Los Angeles
    edited October 2012
    Hey Guys, thank you so much everyone who have been using and recommending poweruphosting.

I read the whole discussion and chat and I wanna conclude few things:

1) We don't have servers in just one location
    2) We have servers in 2x Chicago datacenter and 1x Phoenix datacenter.

darman82 's results are completely false because he used the wrong server to do all his speed tests. So his server is probably located in Phoenix (If he can provide me his email, I can cross check) and he used far away location to do his speed tests.

The Ping is 53 ms, so the tests done are false.

I would be more than happy to do any kinds of test for you guys to make sure you would enjoy your VPSes and dedicated servers with me and love using GSA on these servers! :)
  • @oil Bang on man, I love your comment and it's so true.

Speedtest results vary on a lot of factors, this even includes how good and fast the testing servers are, 70-90% o the time most of the speedtest sites would give you false results because they are either very busy or they don't have a lot of resources.

The best way to test everything is by doing real downloads again, this would depend on different location and different servers. In coming days, I will be setting up servers for speedtest purpose where my customers can do all kinds of speedtest to make sure they are fully satisfied.
  • GlobalGoogler  I asked Bermanhosting to do Windows XP Pro, it runs quite smoothly thou. Wondering why we need Server 2008 because it maybe even heavier? 
  • @anhhung

Windows 2008 Server is much more lighter than Windows XP because it barely consumes any resources as it's specifically designed for Servers and webs.
  • edited October 2012
    I wouldn't recommend trustvm.
    I am in EU as the VPS and the lag is killlllling me.Can't connect more then 1-2 times a day without punching the PC. And the support is horrible - immediately after receiving the VPS details and testing it I send a support ticket ( regarding the lag problem ).I got a reply quite fast ( was a good sign at that time ) saying that he/they will make some test to see what to do and that being said after 2 weeks no reply and the same lag.

pc: I am on a 100mb connection so don't know if I need more then that to connect to a VPS
  • Man... poweruphosting vps down 2 times in 10 days! I Only run GSA and CSX with this setting. Poweruphosting admin can check my setting to verify.

Proxy 25
    Thread 25
    Campaign 15 tier1 and 15 tier2
    Tier1 submit 100 then pause 720
    Tier1 submit 250 then pause 720

I though moving from bermanhosting to poweruphosting will solve my problem, but i guess i wrong. Also i have bough TrustVM also with cheaper price $36.
    edited October 2012
    @darman82

The VPS and server uptime has been a wooping 100%. It was your VPS which was stuck up due to over utilizing system resources (We use a different technology to prevent from people who tries to abuse the system by over utilizing the system resources)

My servers and VPS works in a completely different way, if the system finds a user trying to over utilize resources, it will stuck up that VPS immediately so that other customers on the same server doesn't get affected. This is why my servers have an awesome uptime of 100%.

If you are on our Hyper-V Lite plan, which is 1GB of RAM and 1CPU, you will have to understand that you can't expect to run tons of things at High threading and you have 15 Campaign running at each level along with 25 Thread which is huge along with CSX.

Even after running everything, your VPS is still up and running, this shows HOW POWERFUL our VPS are.

Regarding our pricing, we have the cheapest price in the market, do remember, we provide 100% legit and licensed Windows for each user unlike other companies.
  • edited October 2012
    we have the cheapest price in the market

No.u r not..there are other hosting providers who charge <50 for 3GB RAM server and  I am using them with excellent service
    edited October 2012
    @senty4love

I hope you know the fact that a lot of factors are involved when it comes to pricing and not just the amount of RAM you are getting. Most people don't look at the processor and make there decision based on the amount of RAM they get and most of the softwares highly depends upon CPU.

Answer my following questions and if in anyway your provider's configuration is better than mine, I will give you a VPS for 2 months for free.

1) What kind of processor is your provider providing you?
    2) Processor speed per CPU?
    3) How many VPS does he have per server?
    4) What's the network speed, 100 Mbps OR 1000 Mbps?
    5) Is your windows VPS 100% licensed?
    6) What's the uptime?
  • Darman82, can you reach the limits with that setting ? They add up to 10k submission per day with your 30 tiers.

Senty4love has a point, poweruphosting can't really claim to be the absolute cheapest, maybe what they meant was the most value per buck. I'm using the same package as you (light), and so far i've never had downtime (used it for two weeks more or less), yes i would like and need more power, but atm i can't justify the value for the next pack.
  • @pisco

I can easily come up much more cheaper plans but will have to comprise with the server config, so if majority of the people wants that then I can definitely look into stuffs.
  • I just bought the 4G RAM plan from both trustvm and bermanhosting for a few days, here's my initial comparison --

* Price
    trustvm: $36/month (after 20% life discount)
    bermanhosting: $56/month (first month 25% discount)

* Hardware specs
    trustvm: CPU Intel Pentium M 3.3G Hz; Harddisk Speed: write 8.8MB/s !!, read 528MB/s
    bermanhosting: CPU Intel Core i7 3.4G Hz; Harddisk Speed: write 78MB/s, read 432MB/s

* Virtualization Technology
    trustvm: KVM
    bermanhosting: support tells me Xen and VMWare (mine is VMWare)

* Support
    bermanhosting support responds to tickets considerably faster than does trustvm support

* User experience
    both the remote desktop and the VM of bermanhosting feel noticeably smoother than their trustvm counterpart -- in fact, I bought trustvm first, but the remote desktop disconnects so frequently that I had to turn to bermanhosting as a plan B
  • I use trustvm without any issues.  My first one was the Belgium one which is considerable faster than the new one (which is in Portugal).  Yes the speed to US from Portugal is way lower than the Belgium.  I run SER in Belgium and UD/MS on Portugal.

I have had zero issues with the VMs so far and quite like the affordability.
  • Bermanhosting have servers in Europe, don't they?
    I use an OVH dedicated server and so far I couldn't be happier with it. Damn fast, reliable and cheap.

For those who are looking for a VPS, read the last @poweruphosting message.
    I used to think that I'd need a lot of RAM but it's not the case. I'd go for a better processor / disk, instead of RAM.

For example, I'm running 230 threads and it barely goes above 2.7 GB

Running 230 threads + Xrumer at 400 threads puts the processor at ~85% but the RAM never goes above 4 GB.
  • @hyde, i hear that OVH is not allow user to install SEO tool on their server. Are you having the same problem?

• @darman82
    You can run SEO tools on OVH servers as long as you use proxies/VPN for posting.
  • @darman82 yeah, what @darman82 said. Just don't go spamming the web with your IP because if OVH receives complains, they'll terminate your server in a breeze.

I never ever post without proxies/VPN
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @hyde - GSA SER will use a MAX of 2gb RAM running with all that it's got. Why the extra RAM? I'd guess to run extra programs?

Also - surely it's better to get a few VPS's rather than a dedi? More cost effective?
  • @GlobalGoogler With all the soft I run, I rarely go above 6 GB of RAM consumption. I went for this model because of the processor (Xeon 4 cores with HT). Unfortunately, OVH does not offer a cheaper model with the same processor and less RAM, so basically I got the RAM as an extra :P

For example, with an i7 920, I was getting 250 Xrumer threads on a fresh list, with ~90% of processor consumption. With the Xeon I can push 500+ threads on Xrumer, 300+ threads on GSA and still I can user a lot of programs like Scrapebox or SENuke or AMR. All in all, nobody defeats OVH in terms of cost/benefit relation. I'm paying slightly over $75 for my server, but you can get models from $25/mo.
  • i recommend poweruphostings dedi. easy settings like 360 thread for GSA SER comes up with 100k-130k subissions and 18k-23k verifications a day and the more powerful the server is, the less problems you will get with your setup. i used to use gsa + CS on a 3GB ram vps, but CS has tesseract errors all the time and much more little bugs on the hole setup will happen, so you can't run your server 24/7 without checking it every now and then. Switching the hole setup to a dedi, no more tesseract errors, no more little bugs, gsa is running like a charm on 360 theards with seo indexer on 100 threads and CS. This will hit 50% cpu usage and about 25% ram usage, so you can start going more threads or starting hrefer, xrumer or scrapebox parallel, no problem.

and by the way, the delay with RDP for a VPS is a pain in the ass for a good workflow. Much more pleasant to work with a dedi
  • ronron SERLists.com

I was so excited. Signed up for PowerUp Hosting 2 days ago. No signup instructions yet. Two support tickets outstanding.

Talk about throwing a bucket of cold water on a guy that was so excited to get started. Even bought a second copy of SER to get this thing going.

Very depressing. Any other ideas for a good provider?

• LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne
    What kind of budget and spec do you want ron?
    edited February 2013
    @ron There was an ongoing network maintenance and optimization going on which is why your and few others were delayed purposely (An email was sent out). One of your friend even contacted me via Skype and I informed him as well.

Either way, the maintenance is over and the credentials has been emailed to you and apologies on the delay as you were very excited.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I did not get an email regarding a delay. If I did, I would have been perfectly fine with that response.

Thank you for responding. Got the start-up email. Thank you.

• edited February 2013

@poweruphosting

Any discounts for GSA-SER users (VPS) on Poweruphosting?

I received a link from GSA for special GSA discounts but GSA discount prices are not really a discount- anyone/everyone pays $59/month for hypervplus

Any real price breaks for GSA customers? what am I missing here?

• I purchased a 6 month, 4GB package from trustvm 2 days ago and it is so slow it's almost unusable. I put in a support ticket and will let you know the outcome. But as of right now I wouldnt recommend them.