Skip to content

Do I need a VPS?

Hi, So I see that a lot (almost everyone) recommends to use a VPS, but I am not sure why? I do understand why I need proxies, but I do not see the point in paying for VPS. Is my PC going to be available for other uses aside from GSA? As in.. can I run GSA as a background process? Currently I have: 100Mbps connection 24h/7d running PC 8GB RAM X6 1045T Phenom 2.7GHz (6 core CPU) Is my setup sufficient and what improvements I can expect if I decide to pay for VPS? P.S. I am going to use Ranker, Indexer and Captcha Breaker
Tagged:

Comments

• It will eat your ram/cpu/bandwith. Don't think you will be able to do anything else intensive with it.
  • I have almost the same setup as you except a less powerful CPU on my desktop, and I used to run GSA ser on 250 threads with Captcha Breaker and I could do everything I used to do just fine. Never had any problems with these two applications running in the background though I would lower my threads when playing some games. The only reason why I got a VPS and now a dedicated server was because I wanted to have GSA ser running 24/7, and very recently because I wanted moooar threads.

But why don't you just try doing your daily activities while running ser and cb for something like a day? You will quickly be able to tell whether or not you will be able to stand it in the long run. If you have that computer running 24/7 and you can do everything you need to with ser and cb running then there really is no significant reason to get a vps or dedicated server, in my opinion.
  • Thanks for the answers. I was considering testing it, but first I had to ask for more information. Thanks again!
  • edited January 2014
    I had a simple atom CPU 1.86GHz, 32bit, 2GM RAM and normally max 1 Mbps (or half) and easily got some 2000-3000 verified per day with 33 to max 44 threads. at that load NOTHING else was running on same machine, except sometimes CB

with your HW - unless you need ten thousands or MORE verified per day, IMO there is absolutely NO need at all for a VPS

the number of verified per day (or the 5 of submitted vs verified) MOSTLY depends on avoiding to overload your CPU by calculating your exact max threads rather than hammering all out.
    about calculating see
    https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/7833/tip-use-basic-mathematics-plus-common-sense-to-solve-your-lpm-and-verified-issues#latest
    it's NEVER the number of threads that brings good verified numbers but a well thought through setup of speed vs thread
    without CB ,SER is much faster and results better in regard to variety of blogs/unique domains (drupal, etc) if you can afford quality human solved captcha services such as DBC or antigate
  • Am running it on my my 5 y old toshibs laptop and it works fine . I can stop ser if i see that i need some speed for other activities . 4 ram 4 pentium