Skip to content

Which of these VPS is good to run GSA?

edited August 2013 in Need Help
Hey,

I was wondering which of these VPS will be good to run GSA On. I want to run at least 40-50 threads simultaneously.

Option 1: 
Ram: 512 MB DDR3
CPU: 1 Xenon Core 3.2 Ghz
Speed: 1,000 mbps

Option 2:
Ram: 768

Option 3:
Ram: 1024 mb DDR3

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Hi, i am a newbie but i have read many weeks in this forum and i test many options. I think >1GB Ram but you can find many Infos for your question in this forum 
    https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/3547/vps-for-gsa
    https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/170/vps-hosting-berman-vs-powerup

• LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

None of them in all honesty

Would you run any windows operating system on a low spec machine like that?

Personally, 2 gig of ram, at a very minimum

• Why LeeG? I have a VPS 2GB ram, but SER only use about 500-600 MB at 100 treads.
  • LeeG, I'm actually surprised from your comment. I've been reading a lot and many ppl run GSA with less than 2GB.

Another question: Is connections peed really important? 1,000 mbps vs 100MB ... I know it's a x10 difference, but yet is it really important with running GSA?

Thanks !
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    Less than 2gb? I'd be surprised if that's true - My VPS has 4 gb and it still lags sometimes.
  • a lot of different opinions ._.
    edited August 2013
    YEs many different opinions, i can only tell you from my experience. I got a 2gb VPS and it performed really badly, constantly lagging and freezing so i changed to 4 gb and now is much better. That's my experience maybe for others it's different.

I can also tell you my VPS is 1gbps and my home internet is 100 mbps and really there is no difference in performance, so i think 100mbps is enough for GSA SER.

Hope that helps.
  • I run both a home server and a VPS and I can state from experience that although SER runs in 2Gb, you need more to get the best from it
    edited August 2013

Connection, anything more than 100mbps is wasted, imo

SER is a 32bit program, designed to run on 2gig of ram.

But Sven has tweaked it so it runs well on a 64bit operating system, which most people run these days

I can do 250,000 to 300,000 submissions most days and over 100,000 verified on a good day

Running 200 threads @ 195LpM, Im not going much over 10mbs average

You don't need a massive hard drive, on the vps I use, its about 60gig. Nothing massive

CPU, ideally, a quad core and about 4 gig of ram

I cant remember seeing anyone mention they run ser on such a poor quality vps as you mentioned above

Certainly none of the experienced users that give regular advice on her

If I was to screen shot this weeks verified graph, you would salivate at what ser can do if you spend the time setting it up

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited August 2013

Everything @Lee said is true. You definitely want a minimum of 2Gb RAM. I wouldn't even consider an arrangement with less than 2 Gb.

It is also true that 100 Mbps is a complete waste. You will do no faster on 100Mbps compared to a 20Mbps connection. Been there, done that.

My fastest LPM was at home with my quadcore and a regular cable connection.

I would say the biggest lesson I have learned is you must have at least 2Gb RAM, and a decent processor. These days, almost all vps's have good processors, so the challenge is to get enough RAM.

I swear all guys are the same. We want the fastest pc's, and the biggest big screens, lol. You don't need the fastest system to run SER, but you can't run it on an old, slow or weak system. You want something in the middle with enough RAM.

• Thanks for all the answer guys!

And to be honest I've seen people claiming they run it on 1GB machines, and it wasn't only 1 guy who claimed that lol...

Anyway, I'm going with 

2GB DDR3
    3.5 GHZ
    60GB HDD
    100mb connection
    10TB bandtwith (I guess it will be enough)

Pretty much thats the max I can afford right now. 

How many threads I should be able to run on it?

Threads is done by eye

What I always do after any update is use resource manager

Run that, watch the cpu. Keep the cpu making a nice wave and not flat lined to its max

Some releases I have run ser at 300 threads, others 180 threads with no changes to any settings

• Thanks all of you guys!

If your looking for a good deal on a vps, wait until the Americans have a vacation

You normally get the software deals fill your email in box about the time

Then check out the VPS suppliers, some do half price deals

The company I use, I missed out on 50% off at such a time. A day later I got a 40% off deal

A little trick, some people miss

Ron, should be able to give some insight into the dates they have the national holidays on

• ronron SERLists.com

Well, Labor Day is coming up in 2 weeks, and that's a big sale day for retailers.

By the way, you will be lucky if you can fill up 4 TB of bandwidth.

• I backup @leeG and @ron, from what we have seen, GSA can run on 1gb still, but 2gb+ is what you need
  • You guys are really helpful.

I have never seen so friendly and helping community. Congrats!

I just had to pay my vps bill and checked my monthly bandwidth used whilst on there

Max: 8 TB Used: 1.88 TB Available: 6.12 TB

As some know, I don't mess about with ser, I push it to its limits most days

That's doing up to 300,000 submissions on a good day, 7 days a week :)

• 300,000 submissions and you use "only" 1,88 TB per month for it?
    300,000 submissions at how many computers - configuration?
    Sorry just curious :-)

300,000 a day on a single vps running ser and cb

I have shared how to do it plenty of times on these forums

4 core cpu on the vps, 6 gig of and 100mbt connection.

Nothing special

• Guys, thanks for this thread, i have been thinking about buying a VPS, but now i am certain not.

Since my Bandwidth is 40mbps and my computer specs is 8gb ram, it doesn't seems to be worth VPS i guess. i am also not heavy user. so please correct me if i am wrong. 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Your specs are just like mine at home, and that will work great. I did that for 6 months, but I was tying up my PC all the time with GSA, plus I had it running for something like 4 months straight without shutting it off. At a certain point, you just need to get a VPS for practical reasons so you can have a more normal home life.
  • I'm running a 4GB, 13GHZ Wizard plan from Solid SEO VPS. Never had any issues with them. Even if I did, they would fix it in a few minutes. It's $50 per month.
    Yea i can vouch for Solid SEO VPS too, the best i've tried in terms of performance out of 4 different companies.
    Price is very fair too.
  • use host-stage.net have no major issue so far
  • I am using a 2GB VPS and that is as low as I would want to go. I'm running SER+CB+indexer.

The interface via remote desktop is laggy when SER is running. I use 125 theads and depending on what it is doing it is either bouncing up to 100% or pegged at 100%. It sees up to about 50-60 lpm (but often lower) with my usage.