Skip to content

Feature Request: Avatars?

edited April 2013 in Need Help
Sven, I don't know if it's possible but would you be able to code the ability to upload avatars to properties that allow them? This might have been asked before but I wasn't sure.

Comments

• +1

This would make the properties look way more natural, especially if you can spin them.
  • great idea, i second this
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    in engines you can use URLs with images or in the engine folder you can exchange the profile image with a different one. Might be the easiest solution.
  • in engines you can use URLs with images
    so gsa can upload? any example?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven - would it be possible to then have a field in SER "Avatars" and we can use a macro here pulling a random URL from a .txt file? This would be awesome! e.g. "%spinfile-<AVATARS.txt>%

We'd get so much higher success rate with a custom avatar. It looks so much more natural and is one of the first things I look for when approving a comment or application! 
    next version will let you choose that.
  • OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - next version will let you use avatars with a macro to pull a random one from a file!!! YES PLEASE! This is great news!

Been waiting for this for a while. :-)
  • Wow!! I can't wait. 
  • Great Sven, thanks!
  • lol i guess super mario will be getting everywhere on the internet then :D

cheers
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - will it upload the actual avatars or will it require them to be hosted elsewhere? So the best way to do it would be to have a spinfolder and then in that folder have many avatar images. 

Also - what are the normal dimensions for an avatar for most platforms?
    it will upload it, dimensions...thats the difficult part...if you keep it to around 120x120 as the default it should be ok.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    should we use jpg or png or anything else? Will start getting some avatars to load into the folder!
    I would always use a jpg as some sites might not take a png or gif.
  • edited April 2013
    just decided to try the spinfolder macro for the first time.

I've grabbed about 200 avatars and put into the /Avatars/ folder.

put into image profile: %spinfolder-C:\Program Files (x86)\GSA Search Engine Ranker\Avatars\%

But getting syntax in image profile might be wrong :-/

Is it my mistake or is this not possible?
  • how to config engine? especially some use js to upload, need to use post data=?

@Zeusy, thats just a warning as it is not a file but the content of a file. Nevertheless the program can handle this as well.

@awint, just like anything else varname=content. Where content can be a URL, file path or the content of the file.

• So the following is the correct macro?

%spinfolder-<AVATARS.txt>%
    no, either %spinfile-<file-with-full path of files or urls>% or %spinfolder-<folder with ready to use image files>%
  • got it, thanks!
  • Sven when I use %spinfolder-<folder with ready to use image files>, there is an error message when I press OK button.

"The spin syntax in Profile Image might be wrong. It produces content with {} Spins in it."

I have about 100 jpg files with 120x120 size in the folder.
  • Sven, never mind. I found the answer above. I just hit Ignore button.
  • Sven how do I bypass the warning dialog? I try both Abort and Ignore button. But it never let me move forward unless I hit Cancel button.

• The program freezes. and I have to use task manager to end the program.

@zuluranger the warning is removed for next release. When exactly is it freezing?

• edited April 2013
    %spinfolder-C:\Program Files (x86)\GSA Search Engine Ranker\Avatars\% - what ive been using.
    let it run during then night, yet in plone for example, it is not adding any avatars. Checking other posts made, none have avatars in them:-/
    Plone is not using the avatars, just some other engines. However I might have to change it for next release.
  • could you list just a few engines which use the avatar, would like to test them