Skip to content

General Keyword List

edited March 2013 in Need Help
If I have a .txt file with a general keyword list in it. Do I just right click on the keyword field and click "use general random file"? Does my keyword list have to be line separated?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 2013
    you can insert the keywords in several ways ...
    right click on project -> modify project -> import keywords

or modify project -> edit -> keyword field tools button -> Import

i got all my keywords line seperated (saved from google keywords tool) .. haven't checked if semicolon workes too ,)

and btw .. sant0s chan with howto vids may help you for the start http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xcRhth5i2MUS1vFHPxQkg
  • @kaykay thanks for that, but for my I have T1's T2's & T'3s which are specifically for articles, microblog, social network and social bookmark. 

As we know these sites are not particularly keyword specific so what I want to do is add a generic keyword list in a text file and then point all my 40 odd projects to read the keywords from this file. I can then add to this file rather than have to update each project with a new keyword list. 

When you right click on the keyword field it say use a random file, so I presume this is what I am looking for. Just need to understand how this works

thanks
  • +1 want to know how this goes.... this copy&paste is annoying and could be replaced via a simple shortcode to some file...
  • ah ic @micb11 you need to ask @Sven if this works like you think
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited March 2013
    Yes that will work.

All you would do is create your keyword text file and save it somewhere.
    Format: 1 keyword per line.

Then in the keyword data field you would use this %spinfile%
    token.

The highlighted part would be the path to where you saved the file on your computer.

Example: %spinfile-C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\yoursavedkeywordfile.txt%

Example:

The %spinfile% token will pull a random line from a text file. In this case it would be one of your keywords.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    This works. I use it everywhere!
  • if i make such a list file.
    will ser work through each line sequentially?  & remove it??

If not, when i stop /start ser..will it begin @ the top again??

• nothing will be removed and SER uses them in random order.
  • Zeusy s4nt0s

says random above just read!
  • ah ok thanks:)

would it not be benifcial for ser to remove a keyword once its finished searching SE's for it, so as not to repeat searching for the same keyword and getting the already parsed msg?
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    no. SE results are not static. furthermore the keywords are not only used as search terms.
  • Is there something in the log that I should be looking for so that I know it is reading from this file?
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    just hit the test button in your project options to see if its working like expected.
    apart from that you might notice that the keyword from the file is added to the search engine query when monitoring the log.
  • Thanks @Ozz that worked for testing however it wasn't reading the file. Does this look correct to you

%spinfolder-C:\Users\admin\Desktop\scraping_keywords.txt%
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    the test worked but it wasn't reading the file? i'm somewhat confused.

however, i don't recommend to put those files on your desktop. do something like this instead and create (sub-)folder somewhere else.

%spinfile-C:\SER Files\Keywords\scraping_keywords.txt%
  • When I do a test nothing is showing in the keywords at all?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Also check you .txt file format. Either ANSI or UTF 8 (I think....there is one SER doesn't read!)
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    also make sure the keywords in the text file are formatted in a proper way.
    {keyword|keyword|keyword|keyword|keyword} does work for me.
  • It is working now I had spinfolder and not spinfile. I think Ozz may have supposed to put that as well?
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    yes, i didn't noticed that and just copied and edited your line.

i've corrected my post above just in case someone will copy/paste it.
  • Just tested this %spinfile-C:\SER Files\Keywords\scraping_keywords.txt%
    And can confirm it does work..great tip, now can have large keyword file and all projects to pull from it:)
    Saves me having to change each project.
  • edited July 2013
    @Ozz

"however, i don't recommend to put those files on your desktop. do something like this instead and create (sub-)folder somewhere else."

Why do you recommend not to place on desktop? For speed? Sorry for ignorance, but why is it faster on desktop? How about in a Dropbox folder?
  • no particular reason, lol. just put them wherever you like to. maybe i had some reasons as i wrote that, but i can't remember atm ;)
  • MrXMrX Germany
    If you got a huge list like 10k keywords, mind splitting them into 1000 per file and use spinfolder macro instead. This will use less ressources as SER does not have to parse the huge file every time.
  • if you use spinfolder macro, files including keywords must be in spyntax format...
  • @KayKay wrote a nice little tool for splitting & spintaxing if you don't know already:
    (download latest version!)
  • why we need keyword list. For eg if I want to rank for "best nike shoes 2014". Still  I need keyword list which has 100k keyword which is not related to the shoes itself. Can I have keyword list from other products like medical products. Also I have imported links which scraped from SB. Then what is the use for the keyword list. It will use the URL to post the links or keyword to scrap the URL and post on that URL. Still don't know how GSA works.