Skip to content

Tags picked from keywords

edited January 2013 in Feature Requests
hey @sven i notice posting on some social networks that the tags are picked from keywords, i use generic keywrods for this projects because i just want to scrape platforms , how can i tell gsa the tags i want, or can you add a Tags box.

Comments

• its a very valid request/concern
    as posting from a huge list of possible VERY unrelated keywords to an article site would only make an article look more like spam

I too would welcome an extra tags textbox that would mean tags to post on articles etc

And maybe move the keywords box in OPTIONS > how to get target urls section
    (together with the options "collect keywords from target sites" and "use collected keywords to find new target sites")

@Sven or is this actually happening already ? its not clear !!

if this request does not get noticed lets get the people's attention here
    https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/1439/feature-requests-please-discuss-add-your-thoughts
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @GiorgosK - if he moves that keyword box, then you can't select multiple projects and edit bad words, or SE's, as it would sync your keywords across all projects.

Look forward to hearing more about these tags though...
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    keywords should be related to your project...if you still want to post to unrelated blogs e.g., you should use the global site lists or import sites on your own.
  • GiorgosKGiorgosK Greece
    edited January 2013
    @Sven I don't think you understood the request (original and mine)

if you allow GSA SER to pickup keywords then over time it will create a huge list of MOSTLY unrelated
    (yes GSA SER has picked up those unrelated keywords from a list of 5-10 RELATED keywords that I inputted)

my question and request is if those keywords are used as TAGS as @rodol has mentioned
    those tags look unrelated and spammy
    then there should be a seperate TAGS textbox that would only be used for posting
    which would be different from the KEYWORDS box which would be for scraping
  • GiorgosK  exactly
    @sven  i use related keywords for blogs, guestbooks or anything else but for social networks and articles i just need platforms, thats why i use generic keywords.
    Ahh OK thats what you mean. Than I have to correct yourself. It is not using any scrapped keywords for posting. It uses them just for finding new target sites (if that option is enabled).
  • @svenIt uses them just for finding new target sites (if that option is enabled). YES but also use it as TAGS on Social Networks and Articles platforms, and that is the problem.
    I dont want TAGS not related to the content that look spammy.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What if it used anchor text and secondary anchor text as the tags rather. This would be far more accurate than the keywords. 
    @rodol If you do not add the found keywords to your entered keywords, it will not use them on submission, just for searching.
  • edited January 2013
    @sven mmm you mean if i put some targeted keywords in the keyword box and i select Collect keywords from target site and use collected keywords to find new target sites... GSA will only use new found keywords to scrape and search and will only use ENTERED keywords as tags?... if this is true its great that answer my question.......

but think about @globalgoogler solution its much better and less complicated to understand.
    @rodol, yes thats what it does...I think the way @globalgoogler wants it is not working as anchor texts could also have things added that are not really tags but phrases. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I use anchor and secondary anchors for things that I would like tags. Even if you have a phrase as a tag, it would be more accurate than keywords. Some users have 5 000 to 100 000 keywords while only 10 secondary anchors - with this many keywords they must be quite unrelated to the theme. 
  • GiorgosKGiorgosK Greece
    edited January 2013
    Please explain I've gotten confused

I open an existing project
    keywords has keyw1,keyw2,keyw3,keyw4 (lets call those inserted/submission keywords)
    both "Collect" and "Use Collected" are CHECKED
    Press TOOL next to keywords
    keyw1,keyw2,keyw3,keyw4 are CHECKED
    and there is a long list of "Collected" keywords that ARE NOT CHECKED

1. that are used for SCRAPING right ?

2. Found Colum is how many Target URLs were found using that keyword ?

3. when I import keywords those are automatically CHECKED
    when I press OK it asks me "Ignore all unchecked in the future?"
    (its very confusing) Ignore from submission keywords from ?
    Don't include them in the scraping ?

3a. those IMPORTED/CHECKED now become part of the inserted/submission keywords
    this means it will use them as submission keywords ?

4.  well those are mostly unrelated keywords so I go in and UNCHECK
    those keywords and click OK I answer the IGNORE question
    and my inputted/submission keywords is OK again

5. press TOOL again and the list only contains the input keywords checked ??!!
    but when I say "show previously ignored keywords" collected keywords appear again
    but the IMPORTED keywords are nowhere to be found
    is this a bug ?

how can one add keywords for scraping without including them to the submission keywords
    is the important question than

thanks

>1. that are used for SCRAPING right ?

yes

>2. Found Colum is how many Target URLs were found using that keyword ?

yes

>3. When having a checkbox on them they get added to your edit field / ignoring the rest will not use them for scraping nor posting

>4...

hmm where is the question? YES ;P

>5 

works for me :/

>6....

You can't.Once ignored the keywords are not used at all, If you want to add them just for scraping, you can add them manually to the *.new_keywords file.

• therefore let me make this a feature request like the original post

make it a little more clear and editable with two textboxes if possible
    one for "submission keywords" and the other for "scraping keywords"

can even be done with one textboxes but having a second checkbox ?
    or changing the logic of the TOOL importer etc to accommodate adding more keywords later
    that are used for scraping but not for posting !!
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    This is why you should use the anchor and secondary anchor as the TAGS, since keywords are not always that relevant. 

Keep your anchors relevant and don't worry about the keywords. 
  • @GG
    how do I set that option ?

• @globalgoogler if that is possible that answer everything... where is that option?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @rodol - It's not an option yet, but it just makes a lot more sense for me if it uses the anchor and secondary anchor as tags, rather than keywords. 

I was referring to scraping vs posting keywords, in saying this doesn't add value. 
  • @globalgoogler oh exactly that was the point of this thread, i wanted a tag box, but if gsa pick tags from anchors and secondary anchors that could do the job
  • @GG
    so this is still a valid Feature request than

if you consider it usefull please put it in your Long thread with features
    here is going to get lost
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @GiogosK - please add it as a comment and I'll add it in. I just don't want it all to look like "my feature requests" :-)
  • @Sven
    "You can't.Once ignored the keywords are not used at all, If you want to add them just for scraping, you can add them manually to the *.new_keywords file."

Could you explain where this file is located ?

it's in the application folder. Search for that file if you can't find it.

• I think is very good tags to be separated from keywords
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Yes, they should be based on Anchors and secondary anchors or be able to be specified using a macro. 
  • OzzOzz
    edited February 2013
    no, they should be based on broader keywords/terms imo. anchors are mostly too specific.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited February 2013

I think everybody is missing the point here.

@rodol and @GiorgosK are talking about how social networks and other websites use tags to group postings and articles that SER creates on the website.

What these guys are saying is that when these sites ask for tags, SER gives them keywords.

Keywords are used to find targets. If we have a list of 100,000 keywords, we will find a lot of targets. In order to find a lot of targets, we use non-specific keywords that have nothing to do with our websites.

Tags are used by websites to help classify the content of an article. An article on dogtraining will be classified under dogs, animal training, dog training, etc.

These two concepts are in direct conflict with one another. SER is providing keywords as tags - this is not a good idea.

Tags are more closely aligned with anchors in terms of "identifying the content".

• @ron has spoken