Skip to content

When to Go To a Second VPS/GSA License?

At what point do you guys take a second GSA license on a second VPS?

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    For me it's about 100 projects. But that's dependent on if you are getting enough links for each project of course.
  • I have 500 projects rotating 50 x 20 minutes on scheduler. Some with higher priority than others, the ratio is about right for what I want. I'm going to get a dedicated server next, rather than multiple VPSs.
  • IF ANY ONE NEEDS DEDICATED SERVERS
     I can get those duo core, quad core for 50 & 90 respectively with other seo tools, ie senuke, article builder, longtail pro, and some other stuff. 
    specs Inter(R) Xeon (R) CPU E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40 GHz  2 cores    6Gb ram $50
    specs Inter(R) Xeon (R) CPU E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40 GHz 4 cores     12Gb ram $90

extremly reliable have used provider for 1 and 1/2 years

• Thought I'd drop in - I've been using a server from krushinem - it has been excellent, lots of software that all works really well, and outstanding support... he really knows his stuff (just have a look at his posts - he's very active in the community). 

I got a second vps based on the bandwidth usage of my first one - made life much easier!
  • Thanks for the replies guys, all helped.
  • @gooner and @Judderman, how many VPS's are you running?
    @mitch - 4 at the moment
  • @Mitch just one at the moment. Solidseovps the fastest one. I just got one in time before the price hike ;) I have a mate that has had SER for longer than me and recommended a dedi as SER saps CPU therefore a multi-core jobby seems like a good idea. I'm killing my VPS it's constantly at 99% but only 1GB RAM (of 4). With the scheduler, I can just increase the amount of projects running at any one time until it's maximising the VPS's power without slowing it down. If I have a dedi, then I imagine that I can run more at the same time.

I'd imagine that I could spend the same amount on 2 VPS setups (inc SER, CB, captcha sniper etc) as one dedi with one copy of all, so that's the idea of going to a dedi next. 

I am trimming down the amount of projects I have, as I had one for every keyword/URL but now I have found my strategy that works without having so many projects.
    edited December 2013
    @judderman - I'm not sure you'll get that much more out of a dedi tbh,

If you have the quad core VPS - the dedi probably isn't going to have much more CPU. It will have more RAM but that isn't really a limiting factor.

I had a dedi and switched backed to VPS because the 2x VPS outperform 1 dedi and are cheaper.

Have a good think about it before you switch mate.

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, if you scrape with SB you can run SER at higher threads with more projects. I'm not using scheduler so have 450 - 500 threads running 100 - 150 projects with no memory issues. That's another way to save resources/money.

• This is the one I was going to get...you've got me thinking now @gooner:

Dual CPU Xeon E5620, 8x 2.4 GHz (with HyperThreading)

• 6x 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (Total of 24 GB)
    • 2x 1000 GB Samsung HD103SJ (7200 rpm, 32 mb cache)
    • 20 TB bandwidth or 10 mbit unmetered
    • 1GB uplink

So, do you spend time scraping with SB then import and just use your global lists for all projects? Is there not a risk of your global lists being weakened with so many projects/links coming from the same places?
    @judderman - That's a meaty server, how much is it per month?

I don't think mine was that good actually, so you might be better off with that than 2 VPS' after all.

Yep, i'm using global lists - But you can import lists directly into each project as an alternative.

I only use 2 tiers so i would probably suggest letting tier 1 use global lists as they don't need many links and then importing lists into tier 2.

It's a pain in the arse to do that all the time, that's the only downside.
  • £120pm. I'd probably run SB/Gscraper on it as well. I just find that my VPS is running at max all the time. If I had 2 VPSs the same, yes the workload would be split but I'd get to a point where I'd max them both. Then getting 3,4,5,6 at a time is a bit of a cost when you need SER/CB/CS etc licenses - tbh I'd rather just donate some cash each month to GSA to keep the updates coming than buy extra licenses. I used to run 6 VPSs and managing them was a bit of a pain but I was using a fairly unreliable company back then and they were always down.

I'll probably keep on VPS with SER on it, for testing and let the dedi loose when I'm happy everything is as it should be. That's the plan anyway, and only if my meeting tomorrow goes well (should be getting a large contract so the 10 hour round trip for a 30 minute meeting better be worth it!!).
  • edited December 2013
    @gooner @Judderman if you guys wait a month or two, we are running several tests on our new dedicated servers plans that we will be pushing out...much much powerful and cheaper... soon we wont only be selling vps's only
  • Cool @solidseovps - good to hear. Will they be as powerful as the one I mentioned above?

If you could gear some dedis towards GSA SER users that would be awesome or make custom dedis without insane setup fees that would be great. No need for huge HDDs, but super multi-core CPUs/plenty of RAM/1GB link up-down would be awesome. I'd prefer to stick with you guys than use another company as you've proven yourselves as being a good service provider with great support and communication.

edited December 2013
    Good luck with the meeting @judderman. At £120/mo that's pretty much the price of 4 VPS', so it would have to be doing at least 300k verified/day for me. Hope it's possible.

I would be interested in the dedi's @solidseovps
  • @JudderMan @Gooner Yes should be soon, we have to run several tests before anything, we dont like pushing it prior several stage of testing... Our admins had been working on it since a while now...We have alot of services coming in the next months... really great ones....
  • @gooner and @JudderMan fantastic share of info here; many thanks.

I am going to take on an extra VPS to help with pumping the PA on my Web 2.0's, I've found that has really drained my GSA/VPS set up and think it will be better to set that up on its own.

@solidseovps likewise interested in details on a dedi when you have it ready. May well be going with you for the VPS. Which package of yours would you suggest for running GSA and ScrapeBox flat out?
  • I will never scrape and post on the same server again. Things are much more organised having these two tasks separated.
  • @Mitch, how many projects are you running under GSA including tiers?
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    edited December 2013
    I don't understand why people don't just purchase their own dedicated servers.. If you've got a large connection speed at home, in the UK this is acheivable and also these internet services come with unlimited bandwidth...

It would cost around 400-500 pounds to build a decent spec server (that's a 1 off payment) they don't need monitors or peripherals, simply plug them in, load your OS and software and then Remote Desktop into them as and when you need from your main controller... Fairly simple.

If your worried about connection issues, get another internet connection package for every two servers.

Total costs involved

£400 - £500 per dedicated box
    £25 - per month per connection

These machines don't have to be large, you can build a fairly small sized server with ease.

The only people that in theory should be getting VPS's or Rented Dedis are people who either can not yet afford the one off outlays for the setup or people who can't access high speed internet connections from their local area.

The cost of renting a server, multiply that by 3 or 4 and you've got your own personal dedi forever.
  • I have looked at that also Tim89. Internet speeds here are crap though, compared to mainland EU, unless I'm missing something. I'm with Virgin Media and £35 for 30mbps is pretty expensive considering a VPS with 500mbps is £30. Then there's electricity bills to take into consideration. And zero support if something goes wrong. Building a decent server would surely be more than £4-500?
    edited December 2013
    @JudderMan my main machine is 10x-15x better than any available VPS for rent and is possibily faster than most dedicated servers around too (this is not be boasting), I spent around £2,500 for my machine currently, but only because I wanted a brand new system including peripherals and a 37 inch Asus monitor.

the difference between a home "computer" and a "dedicated server" is nothing, in relation to hardware that is available to both you and I.. so why not buy the parts and build it?

To be honest, for SEO tools, especially SER you don't need a massively high end spec'd machine to run it... you want to gear yourself towards longevity and stability with a server type machine, a normal quad core / i7 cpu paired with 32gig of ram and a top quality asus mobo shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.. and that's basically all you need for a "server" a HDD, MOBO, CPU, RAM no graphics card needed, no sound needed.

I'm from the UK and I'm on 70mb - 100mb down and 25mb up for £25 per month, and that's not even fibre optic yet, that is a standard BT Broadband connection, apparently I should be expecting fibre to home connections very soon.

I run 3 machines constantly, 24 hours 7 days a week and I pay around £70 per month in electricity, I have 2 BT Broadband connections too, 1 is hooked up to my main machine (building sites, surfing, listening to music, work) and my two "servers" are connected to my other BT Broadband connection.

monthly expenses which are tax deductable;

Broadband = £25 + £25 = £50
    Electricity  = £70

In regards to machine prices, I could build you a server with 32gigs of ram and a 1TB hdd with an i5 CPU for around 400 quid, yeah.

I run all my SEO tools on these machines the only thing I don't do is website hosting, I actually rent out a dedi for that simply because I'm not that clued up about WHM, even though I have learnt the basics.

Hardware support, forgot to mention, yes it would be totally up to you, but I was building machines when I was 12 years old, so personally speaking, I don't need support, I missed that out in my reasons for "renting a server"..

these "servers" do this in 20 hours run-time.

ps: I just can't believe the amount of money people pay for a virtual server.. it's insane... if you take a step back and look at it really.

A VPS is not even an entire machine.. a person purchases a computer for instance like the one I'm typing from and then simply splits this machine into as many machines as they want, if they have VPS plans with 1gig of ram then potentially you could split my machine up 32 times and obtain 32 customers from one machine alone.

my machine cost £2,500..
    32 vps's times £25 per month = £800 per month recurring.
  • @Tim89 - thanks mate for your reply, that's fkin inspiring and got me thinking....if I put together a 'shopping list' of parts would I be able to run it by you (in fact, you could be my support....LOL). I know that hardware can never be future proof and will be outdated pretty quick but I'd like something pretty quick (as detailed above).

Your BT Internet sounds pretty decent. I can upgrade with Virgin Media to 100mbps, so I'll look into that. 
    edited December 2013
    @JudderMan sure, just throw me a PM whenever you want, I'll be happy to help!

I thought this was the "norm" for BT Broadband to be honest, I've only just re-signed up to them for the last two years, before this I was using Virgin, good service but was pricey, they do limit your speeds depending on package you purchase which is quite annoying considering you can tell that it's being limited by doing a speedtest and seeing a constant, for example "30megabytes" rather than "31 or 34mb", I left BT Broadband initially for Virgin because where I used to live, was really congested near inner london and I found Virgin to be much more constistant simply due to being cable rather than ADSL.

But yeah, it would be a good business decision and great investment and also a great tax write off for you to buy a dedicated SEO home server and just get another broadband connection and write the entire lot off.

If you are self employed like me, having a second broadband connection is much less hassle and can be written off 100% rather than a portion being a write off for general business use, society hasn't really come to terms with our industry and some accountants find it astonishing that the sole purpose of having an internet connection is to run advertising tools.

oh and whilst your spending some money, buy some more licenses of SER and write them off too, god I hate the taxman, I'd much rather give @Sven my money than the tax office any day. don't forget to purchase some electrical current usage meters to plug into the walls and get some tax write off there too.
  • Hi,

For 300 websites with T1 + T2 +T3

I have a :
    1 OVH server for 50€/month with 4 VPS for each GSA SER+CB+SEO Indexer
    1 online.net server for 50€/month with 2 VPS and soon 3 VPS more for each GSA SER+CB+SEO Indexer
    1 online.net server for 30€/month with 1 VPS for scrape with Gscraper

All these server are manage with proxmox.

2 questions
    1/ Better to rent or to buy a server and which one ?
    Example for a server
    to buy : http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-r210-2/fs 609$
    to rent : with online.net 30€/month

2/ What's the best config for SER ?
    RAM : 1/2/3 or 4GB

• @Tim89 awesome man, gonna get in touch with Virgin soon for 100meg Internet and look at piecing together my own server. 
  • edited December 2013
    @solidseovps This is my dilemma, I have about 7000 Web 2.0's that I want to increase PA on. At the moment I am breaking them down into groups of 10 and running a GSA campaign at each group. I know will take forever, but doing in batches will at least me some with high PA while I keep plugging away at the rest.

In addition I have another 20 clients sites that I want to run GSA to, tier 3 to each site's tier 2 so again another 3-600 URL's in each T2, could be another 6-12000 sites.

What I am trying to work out is what is the maximum I can run on what setup. Then I know how many set ups I will need.
  • @Mitch, Sounds like you would need the Wizard package from your setup.. You can also try the geek and if it start getting slow for you, you can upgrade later. Your choice.
  • Thanks but could one package handle all this?

• Mitch,

I cant really tell you until you try loading it and see, There is several element in ser projects, some people would have very few projects but tons of tiers and million of sites list that would makes it act like it has 1k of projects...