Skip to content

Tertiary Anchor Text Field (for a more natural anchor text distribution)

edited June 2013 in Feature Requests
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys can add another field as the title suggests, right below "use secondary anchor text variation with....". This will help us get a more natural link building profile, by adding more long tail keywords. As you know after the recent Penguin 2.0, Google is giving priority to sites with a more diverse and natural anchor text distribution.

This would help me and others, if it gets implemented in the next update. What do you think?

- Jack

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Is that really necessary? To what percentage would that be useful?

I for myself don't even use the secondary anchor test.

• Well yes! After Penguin 2.0 its very important to have a diverse anchor text distribution. Won't you agree?

Are you getting good results without using secondary anchor text? Is your competition low, medium? Because if its low, then you won't require that many backlinks...

I use this mainly for testing engines, nothing special on SEO here so I might not count.

Anyway if the percentage of secondary and tertiary is nearly the same, you can put it all into secondary anchor edit field or what do others suggest here?

• londonseolondonseo London, UK
    @sven - I would say that a 3rd option is needed for LSI keywords. The 2nd option will be used for variations of the main keywords.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I have seen more of these extra fields in other software particularly since the various google updates.

For example, some fields might be:

Main keywords (e.g., dog training), Partial Match (e.g., John is a dog training expert), LSI (e.g., controlling your dog), Branding (e.g., John's Dog School), and Generic (e.g., click here, this, website, here).

Other please contribute...but these are probably the main fields that a good seo would want to see in a linkbuilding software.

• another textfield would be also nice for people who want to add generic anchors in foreign languages. so my vote goes for a tertiary one ;)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Not to add more fields but a "Branding" field would be neat. I currently use a macro and then ensure that the ratio is correct within my base anchor file, but it's tricky to keep the ratios correct with this method. 
    @ron so you vote for 2 new anchor text boxes than...branding / lsi (what does that shortcut stand for?)?
  • OzzOzz
    edited June 2013
    Latent Semantic Indexing
    thanks @Ozz (Im just a coder, no SEO expert)
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited June 2013
    LSI just seems to be marketing-babble way of saying 'related keywords' or 'long tail keywords' .

I don't think this is necessary if you use the existing options. for my MS links I have 25% Generic 30% URL, 15% 2nd KWs (with about 5 KWs in) and about 5 main KWs.

However I do think it would be nice to be able to specify the option to use BOTH anchor texts and KWs. I said this before but nobody added any input. I suppose you could just copy & paste KWs into any tertiary KW box though... So maybe it's not a bad idea after all :)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited June 2013

Exactly what Ozz said. LSI is a fancy word but let me give you an idea of what it means:

If you had an article that was targeting and optimized for the phrase "soccer game", a machine like google would expect certain terms to be in that article, like: goalie, strikers, midfield, defenders, referee, fans, stadium, soccer ball, futbol, etc.

These terms essentially validate that the article is really about a soccer game - words and phrases that one would expect in an article on that subject. So the LSI category is critical for SEO.

Branding has become more important over the years, especially with Google, and it has become another important variable that is needed to establish yourself with google. If you analyze the big names out there like Microsoft, GM, Dell, etc., you will find that a large % of their links are their company name or brand name.

Google views that as very natural. So even if we are peddling anti wrinkle cream, it has now become more important to give our (affiliate) business a name/brand, like "Sandra's Anti-Aging Center".

Actually, the perfect anchor text fields would be:

• Main Keywords (dog training)
    • Partial Match Keywords (John's dog training methods) 
    • Secondary/Related Keywords (controlling your dog)
    • LSI (dog barks a lot, dog growls at visitors)
    • Generic (click here, website)
    • Branding (John's Dog School)

Yes, we could combine Main Keywords with Partial Match Keywords. And yes, we could combine LSI with Secondary/Related Keywords.

But if you are asking what is the most professional way to do it, I would break it into those six categories above. It will help protect everybody from anchor text penalties (provided they understand something about seo), and it might actually force all of us to actually think about what we are doing.

@ron sounds good. Can you give some percentages that sound useful to you that I can use as default values?
  • And don't forget URL as anchor. Although it may go to the Branding category.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited June 2013

I can't believe I forgot that. Thanks @gamble4living. I kept focusing on 'anchor text'.

@sven, here we go:

• Main Keywords: 5%
    • Partial Match Keywords: 10%
    • LSI: 20%
    • Secondary/Related Keywords: 10%
    • Branding: 25%
    • Naked URL: 20%
    • Generic: 10%
    If you ask 100 people what %'s they would use, you will get 100 different answers. But this is close to how I would do it if I had all the above fields to play with.
  • edited June 2013
    I think this is a cool idea, but what is funny about how SEO is done now is that we are not supposed to use the actual keywords we want to rank for. I mean, look at the Main Keywords % above. I can only use the keywords my website is ACTUALLY about 5% of the time? Thanks a lot Google...now I get to use "click here" more than what my site is really about.

If I sell pies I'm not allowed to talk about it...no no no, bad SEO guy! Instead I have to talk about recipes, desserts and click heres. :D
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited June 2013

What you will find out is that if your page is optimized properly (title, H1, description) plus terms on the page, Google already knows what your site is about.

If you keep beating it into their head, then they know there is a problem. And that problem would be you.  [-X

Lead the horse to the water. Don't shove their snout in it.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - at naked URL do you mean URL or Domain? This is especially important for sub pages where the URL might be quite a bit longer. 
    @ron thanks, will try to add it for next update.
  • edited June 2013
    extremely useful! thanks (ron and sven ;) )

i think using only a low percentage of moneykeys is extremely valuable these days, because with your onpage you already tell google what your page is about. now you just have to make them believe that your page really is relevant and has good content on it (which it has of course). I think the brute method of just spamming it with the main-keywords is outdated. google is intelligent enough to see, if you give hints (like LSI kw etc, especially if taken from their own KW tool)

best regards
    added all of the above for next version.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    URL = Page URL = the page you are trying to rank
  • @ron & @Startrip
    No argument there guys, just commenting on how much things have changed. Also, on that note, maybe we should keep a SER keyword and anchor text thread going that gets updated as things change. I've seen some good info from @Ozz and some good contextual linking info from @fullspeed here: https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/878/high-quality-campaign-discussion-thread
  • i think i dont fully understand you @gsarver. Noone here has had an argument. Or do you mean we better discuss this in another thread?

best regards
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    I think we're forcing people into a box by setting up a bunch of precreated numbers and types of links.  I would like a tertiary box, but I want to be able to choose what goes in that box.  The numbers and types of links that @Ron gave are great for him, but I use a couple more and don't use a couple he has specified.  And those numbers are WAY different from what I use.

I like the idea of a third box, but don't want to be shoved into it :)
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    Just upgraded to 6.10 and see the new listings.  They look perfect.  Basically just more keyword box options but you can put anything into them you want.
    Yes, you can skip them if you don't need it.
  • That's a good update
  • Just upgraded to 6.10 and it looks great! Thanks for the input guys - special thanks to @Sven for the quick update. I really appreciate it! :)

- Jack
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited June 2013

@Brandon, I would think of them as custom fields with %'s attached to them. You can use them the way you want to and still get what you are trying to achieve.

And great job @sven!