Skip to content

New to GSA and Have a Few Questions on Proxies and a VPS

edited March 2013 in Need Help
Hey guys,

I just started using GSA about a week ago and this is an awesome tool, but I have a few questions regarding proxies and switching to a VPS.

1. How many private proxies are recommended if I plan on having say 50 projects running at a time (3 tiers for each project)? I currently have 10 privates, should I upgrade to more or is 10 sufficient?

2. I was thinking of switching to a VPS (right now just using my desktop computer). I know Berman is a good one, but I have never used a VPS before. Is it easy to setup and use or does it take some technical knowledge? Any tips on this aspect would be appreciated.

3. If I do switch to the VPS, am I able to import all of my current GSA settings and projects over or would I have to re-setup everything?

4. Lastly, and this is kind of a noob question, but if I have everything running on a VPS, does my computer need to be on at all times or can I have GSA running 24/7 even if my desktop is turned off?

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 2013
    1. depends on how many threads you run
    2. very easy.
    3. yes
    4. no, computer doesn't need to be on
    1. It's more to do with threads and I think @Ozz suggests 10 proxies per 100 threads, but tbh I use 20 private proxies with up to 400 threads and all is OK.
    2. Never used a VPS, but I guess it will be just like Win Home Server which is pretty much the same as Win7 - I'm sure some of the VPS ppl can add a bit more meat here
    3. Yay, you can just back up everything and restore to the new install
    4. Once SER is installed on your VPS, you won't need to use your main desktop other than to remote access into it.  The VPS will just run constantly, with some minor tweaks / maintenance from you
  • Cool, thanks for the responses guys.
  • Hey guys,

I have tweaked my GSA settings until I'm blue in the face and I'm still having problems. What specifications can I look at to determine whether or not the problem is my VPS? Just like J1218 this is my first time using a VPS - sorry for the noob questions too!

Here are the issues I'm experiencing:

1. Painfully slow to operate off of my home PC. Everything is delayed and super slow when I try to click or select anything.

2. Freezes up a lot.

3. Thread count is usually very low, like under 5 most of the time. But when I update or reboot it bounces all over the place.

4. CPU is often at 0% to 1% - but it also can bounce around sometimes on its own.

5.My LPM is low too but I'm only running 1st tier projects right now.

6. My max daily submissions per day are never hit for any of my projects.

I've spent a lot of time pouring over threads and making adjustments but I'm still experiencing these problems. Could it be my VPS?

Thanks,
    George

• ronron SERLists.com

If you don't have enough CPU and RAM, yeah, that could easily be the problem in a nutshell.

• @Ron - Thanks for the reply. It's been very frustrating dealing with these guys at trustvm. I bought their best package and paid for 6 months in advance but they dont even respond to support tickets.
  • gtsurfs, not sure if you have seen it yet, but read through this thread here: https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/2611/my-gsa-ser-config-full-monty-warning-low-lpm

Ron and the OP and a few others gave some really good tips on how to configure your settings. After I made those changes, my LPM went from under 5 to 20+ and sometimes even hits the 50 LPM range.

I haven't moved to a VPS yet, although I plan to do so soon. But my home PC is also pretty powerful which I'm sure helps. If your VPS provider sucks, try just getting a refund and switching to a new provider. I hear Berman Hosting is really good, that's who I will probably be going with too.