Skip to content

Footprints

I just watched a Sven video that talked about the footprints option on the Advanced Options tab. So, I googled "Search Engine footprints" and the articles seem to be saying that footprints are the way that people organize things like links and anchors on their site. Something that looks the same all the time. Supposedly, one can then look up on Whois and find out who the footprints belong to. So what does this have to do with the footprints section in the Advanced Options? The Sven video seems to be saying, contrary to what I read online, that the footprint belongs to individual search engines. So how do I find out what these footprints are?
Any insight?, Thanks,

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Just take this page you read here:

Take phrases you see here that might always belong to this forum software like

"Activity" "Categories" "All Categories" "Recent Discussions"

Now do a search with that on any search engine and you will see alot pages looking like the same forum software. If thats the case you can call it a usefull footprint to that engine.

• I compared the footprint screen on the newest version of SER to what is shown on the Sven video, and the pages are not the same; I assume that the video uses a previous version of SER. However, on the new screen, I can't even figure out how to get the sample footprints into the footprint field.
    I don't know what video you mean.
  • Sven,
    In the Sven/Ozz section of the forum, in the video which is the third in the list, with a description of "New video covering the basics of the Global Site Lists and other Advanced options:". This is the video I am talking about. The screens seem to be from a different version, and I can't find the same options on my footprints screen.
    That video is not from me or @Ozz. I just found it and added it there. Most likely an older version yes and that time there was no footprint studio, I added it in recent verions only.
  • Thank you. It was Footprint Studio that I was looking at in the Advanced Options. The screen won't let me type anything under "Footprints" and, if I double click a footprint in the list at the bottom, it just goes into the search box. Are there any directions on how to use Footprint Studio?
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    @velsytetra - Here's the basics:

• s4nt0s

thanks for the video.

when you add footprints to the search query, do they have to be in 3's like "categories" "search" "articleMS" or can you add them one at a time like :
    "categories"
    "search"
    "articleMS"

thanks
  • You can put any amount of text snippets there, but they need to be specific. For example, just searching for "categories" is going to bring back so many useless results.
    Yep exactly what Cherub said :) 

Combine as many words as needed to bring in good results for that engine. That's why its important to test results in Google before adding them to the engine.
  • @s4nt0s,
    Super video! Thank you so much.
    No problem. :)