Skip to content

Global lists from which folder?

edited October 2012 in Need Help
Looked around but couldn't find an answer to this.  What folder does the global list come from, submitted, verified, or identified?

And does this make GSA faster as the sites are already known so takes less time parsing? 

Comments

• You define the folders for site lists in -> Options -> Advanced

This will make GSA a lot faster as it don't have to search for new targets. However, you need to make sure that there are always enough URLs in the site lists and feed them with imported URLs or with new targets from the search engines.

Remember that many URLs won't be related to the keywords in your projects, so you might want to use site lists for Tier2+ only
  • edited October 2012
    Hi thanks, yes I have a good collection now from a few runs of scraping.  Sven said these are allocated dynamically, how does that work?  What do we do to get it to run through the full list?

Also what I wanted to know was which of those folders does it use, identified, submitted, or verified?  

As I have all three defined.
  • Also I wanted to clarify when I saw make it faster I mean in relation to just importing a merged list of multiple platforms.  

Is there an advantage to using the global lists due to the fact they are split and named per cms so they might not require identifying before posting?
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    No, direct importing is always the fastest solution with the exception when many of the imported URLs are "already parsed". If thats not the case, than you should import directly.

There is no advantage I know of when you sort your import list because SER has to detect the engine it has to use again and again.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Are you referring to importing target URL's to a project or to the global site lists? My understanding is that it sorts them once and places the identified platforms links according to platform, so when it needs links from the sitelist it already knows what platform it is as it has previously been identified and filed in the correct platform file.
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    Are you sure? I think that SER identify the URL again and again, but I'm not 100% sure about this.
  • GG, this was my understanding too, guess I need to just test it to be sure.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    it is always identifying sites before doing anything with them even if they are from site lists. This has to be done in case the site was sorted in wrong or changed there platform.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven - are you saying that it goes through the whole site list to find URL's that match the platform I have selected or are you saying that it goes to the folder and file of the platform I have selected and then grabs 150 random URL's from here and then retests the platform (only on the 150 it currently has grabbed) before posting?
    Of course it is taking URLs from the right platform file but still it goes through all the identification and filtering.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks. 

As per @medway's question:
    "Also what I wanted to know was which of those folders does it use, identified, submitted, or verified?"

I take it uses all three for the global lists?
    yes correct
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town