Skip to content

Getting actual articles and not profiles

edited October 2012 in Feature Requests
Hi,

I would like to be able to stop my article projects verified links list being flooded with all the user profile URL's created while submitting articles.

It is really misleading to the total number of articles you have created as I run an article project and see say 50 verified URL's yet many are not actual published articles, just user profiles that were created (appreciate they have a link in the profile). It also means the verified list is not much use for then pulling in for linkwheels in another project as I only want to build further links to the actual articles, not all the user profiles which are very little value.

I am currently manually deleting all the user profiles URL's from the verified links (which takes a lot of time and often means opening each webpage to check if it is an article or user profile as it is not always clear from the URL) so I can see
how many actual articles I have left. I can then use the clean, verified URL's list that is only actual article content in another project to backlink the articles as another tier.

Being able to not have the user profiles in the verified articles URL list or at least an option to filter them out would be really helpful and save a lot of time.

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• I was going to post about this..this is especially with phpfox sites [it save profiles as well as articles]

I wish wiki module was better..instead of profile if I could get actual wiki post it would be much powerful
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    This would be useful. +1
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    @richrich123 you can quickly see if it's a profile link or article on the URL itself.
  • edited October 2012
    problem is I want to import these links to other software [or other project of gsa] to build 2nd tier links..I don't want to build links to profile page..eg. phpfox - you have two urls ..one is profile and other one is acutal content..I want just content links..
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    This is what I would do (PHPfox as example):

1. right click project -> show url -> verified
    2. sort by engine column -> mark/highlight -> phpfox 
    3. export -> selected (normal)

4. open scrapebox -> import file
    5. remove/filter -> remove urls containing... -> "/profile" AND "/info/"

Alternative to scrapebox is to make use of notepad++:

6. Search-> Find -> "/profiles" AND "/info/ -> Mark Line and Click Find All.
    This will mark the lines with profile links.
    7.Search -> Bookmark -> Remove Bookmarked Lines
    That will delete all the marked lines.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited October 2012
    We need to get "uncheck by mask" added to the verified URL's section. That way we can just "check all" then uncheck by mask and have it uncheck /profiles and /info/ then export selected. :P

Then we could do it all inside of GSA SER.

Some platforms have /blog/ in the URL so you could check by mask and export some but I'm not sure about all the others.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    @s4nt0s, good idea. Just added it for upcoming version.
  • edited October 2012
    Sven, the speed at which you take on board suggestions or requests and do something positive is top notch. Shame ultimate demon doesn't follow your model. I have been waiting over 1 month for them to fix a bug which stops the product activating article accounts which is pretty fundamental!!! They don't seem to care though.

Keep up the great work :)
  • sorry, but what the "mask" actually mean in this case. I see there's an option to sort through the mask, but also first I have to enter some value there, I just do not understand what. 
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    @s321 - If you enter /blog/ then you will see it select the URL's with /blog/ in the actual URL.

Like if you were to put in "www" it would select all URL's because they all have www. So you can select and deselect certain URL's depending on what you enter in the mask field.
  • I will give you an example:

example1/profile/12345
    example2/blog/6789
    example3/profile/645322
    example4/profile/355657
    example5/blog/4356

You "select by mask" and mask in the first example is "profile":

example1/profile/12345
    example2/blog/6789
    example3/profile/645322
    example4/profile/355657
    example5/blog/4356

"Select by mask" with "blog":

example1/profile/12345
    example2/blog/6789
    example3/profile/645322
    example4/profile/355657
    example5/blog/4356

SER will check (or uncheck) all links you have choosen with the word you specified in your mask.
  • Thanks, it's clear what mask means in this case.

However, I'm not sure this will be useful to distinguish profile links form articles, since profile links can be determined not just in one way, instead the URLs may contain various ways to determine the profile on the site (profile/user/member/people/...). If you have more than a dozen of links it would be impossible to be sure what strings to use... I'm not even sure can we select multiple strings in the mask filter.