Skip to content

Also re-verify existing backlinks - looks to be removing live links

Have been using this for a little while now but noticed a lot of the project verifieds don't increase that much, or many seem to plateau at a certain point.

I thought this could be causing a problem before with links that were valid, but found some proof today. I paused all my campaigns and just ran a few on Verification only, and noticed when it was doing the Verification there was a couple of 'not successful' found but when I double clicked to check them they were loading okay (albeit some of them a little more slowly than others).

Now I am assuming that because they are getting the not successful verification message these are getting removed from the list, is that right?
I am going to turn this off for now and do manual re-verification once a week or something, but is there a way to retrieve all the links that were once verified for that project? I can then make sure any older links haven't been lost

Cheers
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    They only get removed if there was no timeout and content was downloaded + no link was found.
  • edited July 2013
    Okay, is there a way to export all of the once verified URLs?

It would be useful for finding out where you get the most deterioration but also checking the links over time. I have had it before when certain parts of the site are lost temporarily (usually met with a 404 page) but then they are restored later (and the link goes back up) - I know its not a common occurrence but it does happen

- Actually a perfect example of this has just occurred, a link was created on the site armsoc.org but the site has since gone down (403 error). Because its presenting an error I assume this would count as downloaded content and therefore the link would be removed. However when the site is back up there is a high chance my link will go back up too
    No, if an URL is removed it is gone.
  • Maybe something for a future version? Surely im not the only one that sees some benefit in this
  • ronron SERLists.com

@jd_salinger I covered this exhaustively in a thread months ago probably before you became a user.

There are 404 errors, glitches in the connection with proxies, timeouts, and other webside server errors that can cause this.

This always happened to me with Scrapebox, and it will happen to you no matter what software you use. These are factors that are beyond the scope of SER.

So you have two choices: Either live with the occasional removal of a live link, or you maintain a list that has a ton of dead links - and continue to build tiers underneath dead links. Obviously the first choice is the lesser of the two evils.

When you start to make links in mass, you have to live with imperfections in the process. That's part of the deal of doing things in a big way. We all have to live with it. 

• if possible, i don't think its a bad idea if a feature exists which recheck those links again after a day or so before they visit the cementary.
  • ronron SERLists.com

^^Not a bad compromise. Maybe SER can give a 'tick' on verification to those that are not confirmed. Then on the second pass if it still can't get confirmed, then it gets deleted.

If this were possible, I would be careful not to set SER to confirm more than once a day. 404's and timeouts tend to stay that way for hours, so you would still lose a lot of links based on temporary server issues.

• Yeah I agree Ozz, just another step in the removal process would cut down on a lot of false-positives
  • MrXMrX Germany
    +1 for the "maybe-dead" function from Ozz!
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ozz - great solution! 
  • @Sven - I think you were on holiday when this was discussed, is it possible to add this in to SER?
    It's on the to-do list
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    I also noticed this on the re-verify but, it was actually removing links that were live, and ser said they were dead.