Skip to content

New Anchor Text Options and How They Work

s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
edited September 2012 in Other / Mixed
I already posted this on the other forum, but thought it might be useful here.

There has been a lot of talk on the importance of anchor text post penguin and a lot of videos that cover the subject will give percentages on what's best for anchor text in a post penguin world.

Here is a popular video that has done extensive research on anchor text

Here's the recommended percentages:
  • Exact Matches: 33.53% (main keywords to rank for)
  • Partial Matches: 12.89% (variation of main keyword)
  • Generic : 20.25% (click here, see more, ect)
  • URL Matches : 33.31% (http://www.yourdomain.com)

Here's how it works in the software:
  1. Primary Anchors = anchor's assigned to the URL (IE:http://ww.yourdomain.com#{kw1|kw2|kw3} or anchor text box.
  2. Secondary Anchor/Partial Match = new secondary anchor text field (if empty the primary anchor is used)
  3. Generic Anchor = self explanatory
  4. URL matches = Use domain as anchor text field
    So now you can better adjust the percentages.
Here's an example:

If you don't want to use these, you don't have to and everything works as it was before. This just gives us a lot more control over anchor text.
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Thanks for the explanation :)

Though the secondary anchor text should be in spin format. But it will work as well with commas as the program is correcting this on it's own.

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited September 2012
    Image has been replaced. That's good to know that it will fix the format if the wrong one is used. :)
  • Thanks for your posting s4nt0s. @All: What are you guys thinking about a secondary anchor but for multiple URLs like it is possible for the primary keyword (not in the anchortext field) too? ATM I don't see any possibility for this :)

@Sven: Thanks for giving us the abbility to improove our backlink-strategy.
    True thats not possible right now. Maybe I can add something like "http://www.domain.com/blah.html#anchor1#secondary anchor". That would solve it.
    OK added this now for upcoming version.
  • Great! Thanks a lot for the fast implementation :)

Atm I use:

http://www.domain.com#{keywords1|keyword2|keyword3|keyword4|keyword5}

I know sometimes I'm a little bit to a perfectionist, I think you could theoretically improove this additionaly by:

http://www.domain.com#prio1{keywords1|keyword2|keyword3|keyword4|keyword5}#prio2{keywords1|keyword2|keyword3|keyword4|keyword5}

This would be a killer because then it's possible to have multiple keywords as "keyword 1" or as "keyword 2" and have a lot fine control about the usage of each keyword group.

I personally use sometimes 1-2 keywords per landing page and backlink them next to the main keywords with a few very close LSI keywords around.
    Thats impossible as everything after # is treated as an anchor.
  • @sven is it possible to extract the "generic anchor text" words you are using with the software? I would like to add them to my backlink managing software which auto detects generic anchor texts
  • also, is it possible to tell the tier2 to only link to links with the primary or secondary keyword? Or to simply avoid links with the generic anchor text?
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    @jamesruhle - Click the edit button that's next to the "use generic anchor text" option and you see all the generic anchors. You can also add/remove/edit them.
  • @Sven: Or any other syntax? I don't care about the syntax but the functionality would be damn great. No tool else have such a functionality and give such fine control and secure diversification.
  • If i remember correctly, when this type of thing came up before, after some discussions sven removed the duplicate anchor filtering, so you can have domaincom#(kq1|kw1|kw2) and it would roughyl equate to 66% kw1 and 33% kw2.

This means that you are able to weigh anchors however you like, you just need to do a bit of maths. This is also flexible in that the anchors are linked to a url, so you can have 100 different urls with 100 different anchors each with their own weighing formula.

@Bytefaker could your requirements be handled in this manor? If the answer is "yes but the maths seem like a pain in the arse" then i could write a 'wizard' app that does it for you if you can explain what you want
  • edited September 2012
    @m3ownz: Thats of course a possibility what I overlooked :) Good point! For advanced users this is of course a way to get it done.

You're absolutely right, it would be easy to write a little application/website which is able to generate the needed syntaxt. I'm always thinking about something like this, because it would be useful to to "auto-cleanup-dedublicate-optimize" harvested url's before feeding to SER (time saver) and generate some of the needed input for SER.
    • Exact Matches: 33.53% (main keywords to rank for)
    • Partial Matches: 12.89% (variation of main keyword)
    • Generic : 20.25% (click here, see more, etc)
    • URL Matches : 33.31%
    Since the recommended percentages go to the decimal places, it's simply not good enough that GSA only allow whole numbers for percentages. I vote to allow decimal places too...

Just kidding :)
  • i dont regret that i bought GSA SER, what you guys are adding in no time, i have a hard time to keep up in learning it at, all - AWESOME
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    edited October 2012
    Can someone help me out on this?

I understand that if you are targetting 1 keyword the settings to use. 
    Anchor Text: Keyword1
    Secondary Anchor Text (13%): 
    {Adjective1 Keyword1|Adjective2 Keyword1|Adjective3 Keyword1} 
    e.g. {Fast car|grey car|blue car|red fast car}

BUT most people are targetting more than 1 keyword:
    Anchor Text: {Keyword1|Keyword2|Keyword3}

Let's say I have a magazine about mechanics or machines and I want to rank for "bike" "car" or "boat".
    1) Do I need 3 different projects using above settings? (1 for bike, 1 for car, 1 for boat)
    2) If not, what do we put as Secondary Anchor Text?
    So if we have:
    Anchor Text: {bike|car|boat}
    Secondary Anchor Text: ???? 

Or is it meant to be:
    Anchor Text: Bike
    Secondary Anchor Text: {car|boat}

Or - should I just set all anchors and rations by importing the URL's and secondary anchors?

• oiloil
    edited October 2012

.. removed what i wrote LOL

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I think if you use the format URL#{KW1|KW2}#{KW3|KW4} - it ignores the anchor text field as well as secondary anchor text field, as well as the other fields about the URL (maybe even generic %). Sven will have to confirm this though. 

I think you're right that the best way to do this is to use multiple URL's imported and ignore the options for secondary anchor text. 
  • oiloil
    edited October 2012

@GG lol seems you read it before i deleted it, after writing a lot - i had the impression i went offtopic with it, therefore i deleted it

but yes i think the same

the anchors used in URL will be used rather than the one from anchor text and secondary anchor text. However the rest is used for that anchors as well (e.g. generic anchor).
  • If I want to do a campaign that is nothing but generic anchors can I set the generic anchor text to 99% and it will ignore any other "keyword" anchor I put in?

I want to test some things by using nothing but generics to see if it can pull me out of a few spots
    @Domainer for most engines it might work like that but not for all. Some engines don't make use of anchor text or if they do, they don't use generic one as it would simply look stupid to see an article with a "click here" in between it.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Regarding the generic percentages, are these based per project or per URL?

Let's say I have 2 URL's and I set generic percent to 50%. 
    If its per project then it's possible (but unlikely) to have 100% generic for 1 URL, and 0% generic for another. BUT if it's per URL then it will be 50% for each. 
    per project
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Good to know. Thanks!
  • Hi friends,

thanks for this post and information. it is useful.
  • @ GlobalGoogler: Informative posts :) 

however what i don't understand is, what's the advantage of using the format URL#{KW1|KW2}#{KW3|KW4}, if you can just input: target site URL, and underneath it state the exact % of primary and secondary anchors GSA will use? 

(by KW1, you are taking about the keywords you will be ranking for though anchortext, right?)

So if you want to use 40% primary anchortext, and have 5 KWs you are ranking for, each anchortext will receive 8% of the links. Plz correct me if im wrong.
  • edited December 2012
    icashin Format is easier when dealing with many URLs and keywords. I've got sites with 50+ posts and each URL targets 2 primary keywords and 6 secondary keywords. Very easy to input details in that format and import into GSA rather than entering each detail manually in GSA.

Correct to the 2nd point... I'm assuming GSA will rotate through links sequentially.
  • @tumpien: I think i might understand, but still a bit confused on how to actually do it on GSA... (iv'e just never used this option before)

and i want to rank for "scar removal cream", "scar treatment", as primary keywords

and "2ndKW1", "2ndKW2" for secondary keywords,

1) i specify my URL
    2) *window pops up asking for primary keywords* (I input "scar removal cream", "scar treatment")
    3) *window pops up asking for secondary keywords* (I have to spintax them, then i copy and paste them into window)

I still had to manually input everything, so what's the point? Am i missing something? (probably lol) So..what am i not getting to make this easier....

how do i "import" all that data??

• Keywords > Tool > Import from File/Clipboard.

Just try this format...

URL#Primary KW1 or {Primary KW1|Primary KW2|Primary KW3}#Secondary Keyword 1 or {Secondary Keyword 1|Secondary Keyword 2|Secondary Keyword 3}.

Then either import the text file or copy and import from clipboard.

Going by your example it should be...

http://thebeautyreviewer.com/skin-care/scar-removal-cream/hypertrophic-scars-and-their-treatment/2/#{scar removal cream|scar treatment}#{2ndKW1|2ndKW2}