Skip to content

How to Stop and Save all Projects

royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
edited March 2013 in Need Help
Every time i want to shut down GSA SER I would normally just click the big red Stop button and wait for threads to show 0. I will then click the close button top right to close the program. But every time it will show me a message that some projects are still running and if i am sure i want to close the program ( despite threads is at 0).

I also noticed that sometimes i make changes to a project or a few and then after i restart the change hes reverted back to before. These are normally status settings ( active  - inactive )

So my 2 questions are :

1 - What is the correct way to stop and shut down GSA SER so it does not show me a message that projects are still running.
2 - How can I save settings after i make a change so that they will not revert back after i restart.

Appreciate your help
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm interested in this as well.
  • #2 happens to me some times.
  • i just hit the stop button, expand all projects and wait until all greyed out. if some projects don't grey out after a while i close SER with the task manager.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Yes, it have same issue. It seems that not all projects close after a while. I also always use task manager to close SER when using scheduler. It seems scheduler doesn't close all projects. 
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    Glad to see i am not the only one having the problem...
    Would be nice to have a "Save All" button and some fail-safe stop option.

I am a little concerned with the task manager close option, because it could mean closing the program when all have not been saved, meaning u can loose work

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    I do the same thing @Ozz does.  This was a lot worse in previous version.  I would say I have to use task manager about 25% of the time now in order to quit.  In the past it was 100%.
  • @Brandon, same here. I always have a small number of jobs that won't stop no matter how long I wait. I too have to use task manager to quit but in my case it has been closer to 100% of the time.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I have noticed the same thing. Happens all the time. One thing I have noticed is that if you click the top right hand corner 'x' either once or twice (usually the second time), it will stop the projects. Not every single time, but most of the time.

And when I do it that way, I end up saving all my links built so I don't lose anything. If it doesn't work, then obviously you have to do it through task manager. And when you do that, sometimes you lose the links you built, and other times you don't.

So try to kill it 2-3 times with the upper top right hand x first. 

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    Thanks everyone for the input, really appreciate it as i thought i was doing something wrong or my install is faulty, but now that i see almost everyone is having a problem ( or sometimes do ) stopping GSA SER.

The problem is not how to close the program and either the close top right hand corner or last resort task manager will close it. But if every one seem to have a problem stopping project prior to closing it then sure this is something that needs to be looked at by @sven

Closing it by using task manager is same is driving into a tree to stop your car ( well not all that bad - but it is not the right way).

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I have issue on one VPS, but not on the other, so no idea what causes this. I think it's related to the scheduler closing the threads. 
  • I used to get this a lot.

I sort of came to the conclusion that SER was struggling to process the huge amount of spintax that I had loaded into each project. It drove me mad so a couple of months ago I decided to setup all my projects again from scratch. However, instead of loading the data into the project data window, I made use of the built in macros e.g. %spinfolder%, %spinfile%, etc which in effect stores all those big spintax files outside of the project. This appeared to fix it.
  • yes . get that sometimes too.. minior but still annoying bug
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @radikal - you have no idea how many macros I use like this...Sven says I use too many even. BUT it saves so much time! 
    Still looking for a answer to my 2 questions:

1 - What is the correct way to stop and shut down GSA SER so it does not show me a message that projects are still running.
    2 - How can I save settings after i make a change so that they will not revert back after i restart.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited April 2013

@royalmice - There is no magic solution. I still use just the Stop button. Sometimes I shut down SER and it will say zero threads, and allegedly something is still running when I hit the upper right 'X'. I don't buy it.

When you hit stop, and you are at zero threads, you might still see a few random projects showing color like blue or green. Non-technically speaking, that's what gives you that "projects are still running" message. I never pay attention to that message, especially if I just backed up everything. It is irrelevant.

After I hit Stop, and all threads are at Zero, at that point I do a "Backup All". That seems to cement in whatever place you are at the moment. I always memorize the submission count, and it always comes back to that number on restart, so I know it works.

Lastly, I never do a hard stop (using task manager). Obviously if you are frozen, then you have no choice. But barring being frozen, always close down using the top right 'X'. Doing it this way, and backing up after hitting Stop, I have never had problems. 

• I sometimes just wait for a update to come out ;-)

click and hung blue threads are gone.
  • Afraid I have to bring this discussion back. I have the "lose link" issue, with every restart of SER now. last 5.72 update cause 2 of my projects (all have submit 160K links each, temproraly verified part of them, 9K for each project) and after restart SER, both 2 projects left with 2K submit and 0 verified. Totally have no clue why this happend, it's not the 1st time I have this situation so I do stop and wait all projects greyed out, I even close SER, restart it again then click the "update". Update will cause BIG lose in my case also restart cause samething but a little bit less links lost.

• The auto-backup option every hour would be nice.
    Crownvic autoback up should be an optional, because i cant back up using the standard ser back up since my project file is over 6 GB, so i have to basically go to the projects folder, and zip it manually when i need to back up my projects.

Maybe a auto save instead of auto back up could work
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting this problem increasingly and it won't exit out no matter how many times I click the "X", so I end rp having to resort to using the task manager.

I've noticed that the projects that get stuck are ones that SER has changed to Inactive by itself even though they shouldn't be inactive and when I do a restart the project settings are sometimes mixed up.

e.g. It happened this morning.  I noticed that one of my spam test projects had changed to inactive overnight even though it's set to run and post continuously, so when I tried to stop the scheduler everything stopped apart from that one project.

After waiting for about 30 mins and trying 4 or 5 times to exit using the "X" I had to close SER using the task manager and then when I restarted it, two projects that should be at Active were now set to Active (V).