Skip to content

Matt Cutts recent video about tiered linking

2»

Comments

• Who cares TBH, it don't matter WHAT you do, WHAT kinds of links you build, there's a timer on all of our sites , and it will go off eventually. 

I'm in the Insurance niche (US) , make thousands of dollars a day, not exactly in an easy niche - all rankings are temp, if you look at the historical rankings for your niche(s), 90% of sites die off for one reason or another. 

We all need to be rankin n bankin, hitting our sites hard, and keep building more sites. 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I agree. That timer used to be 2-3 years+. Now it is lucky if you get a year with a good site.
  • @Ron, I agree with you, smart SEO's may take a pounding but they will realize that it just thins out the competition and things will go back to normal. If this penguin is as big as they say it is then it will take them months and months to analyze the data and fix all the sites that got smacked by accident. Meanwhile, we can just keep doing what we do in peace.

I remember using Build My Rank for well over a year and ranking sites in my sleep. I always wondered why G did not act on this network as thousands were using it and it was SO public.
    Eventually they deindexed the whole lot in one day. The lesson here is that they may well know about all sorts of stuff we are up to, but, they decide when they have had enough and want to take action.

• edited May 2013
    LOL keep it going guys....
    Seriously though we will adapt no matter what. There's a lot more of us than them and some of "us" are rather clever i.e. guys like Sven ;)
  • @Velocity exactly - that's the whole reason why Google had to punish link networks as it was pretty much well known within SEO that BMR and a quite a few other networks made it simple for anyone to rank any site.

• tryggvirafn it was mostly Joomla.
  • This may be over simplified but for G to penalize anyone there needs to be a footpring or signature they can identify. For me since panda, one key has been randomizing and diversifying as to not leave any signature(or not one that can be 'proven'). Even with tiers (which are 'naturally' occurring with organic link formation) they are not by necessity a flag or footprint of seo(spam). I think again it all comes down to how long term your approach is. I only had one site hit by panda and that was because I got lazy and hit the site with basically only 2-3 anchor text. I knew I should not do it but did it anyway and got smacked.
  • "But if you don't think that it is incredibly easy to hunt down tiered linkbuilding or other stuff, you have a vacuous space between your ears."

Sure,it'd be plenty easy but if you think they're going to expend precious resources computing tiered linkbuilding instead of crawling more ad placement inventory, well, consider that they're a publicly traded company with shareholders to answer to.

"Sorry your earnings per share dropped this quarter but damn if we didn't show those pesky blackhats what the score was"

Disinformation (propaganda) is much more ROI friendly than actually spending the resources to patch the holes in the algo.

I agree though Ron, it's due for a big shake up. I welcome it, SEO post Penguin 1.0 hadn't been this easy since ~2007.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I was in large corporate for a number of years, and large corporations spend most of their money on the revenue generating side of the company.

Not being mean, but Matt is not terribly important to Google. He is in an expense center with no revenue generation. So he's toward the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to importance. We just give him importance because he can mess with our world.

If I had to summarize what it's all about, they give his unit a budget to shake things up and try to keep people honest, and do whatever they can to make the rankings as true to their formula as possible.

He has to do something to justify his existence. Something will happen.

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited May 2013
    @ron . Google's continued popularity relies on confidence from its users in the way it sends you from A to B, i.e. its organic search results. In a way, we are trying to engineer Google's results for the worst - whilst we may think our sites are better then the competition, Google does not (naturally) and that is why we need to tinker with it and trick them. You could argue the angle that we don't have the backing or the history or the reputation so that's why. But in short we're tricking Google into giving us relevance, and thus tricking their users into visiting our website. Rightly or wrongly.

Sorry to go against the grain with this, but I think it's incorrect to say that Matt Cutts isn't important to Google. What he represents IS absolutely critical to their success - even though they're branching out into other arenas - their search engine results are the key to their surivival. They have to try to keep ahead. I don't believe they are as complacent as some people say.