Skip to content

Using "Tool" to LASER TARGET Niche kws - FatSteve Blog Series

edited April 2013 in Need Help
I watched a tutorial video from "FatSteve blog series" last night and he was talking about using the "advanced -> tools -> search online for urls" to search for LASER TARGETED urls around your niche to post to by importing them into the project.

I'm wondering is this the SAME THING as using the project settings and inputting your "keywords" and click "use collected keywords to find new target sites"?

If it's the same thing, I don't see why we need to do an EXTRA STEP in using the tool to scrape relevant urls FIRST then import them later for use?  Because he also turns off the search engines in the video to JUST USE the scraped target urls.
Tagged:

Comments

• OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    "collected keywords" are often times not related to your niche as they are generation through the meta description of the sites SER is visiting.

i see that he uses wildcards (*keyword*) as search term. you could do this for yourself if you change every of your keyword like this (*keywordA*,*keywordB*,...) and tick "always use keywords for search". you may want to uncheck "always put keywords into quotes" for this.

i'd suggest to test all combinations with the "search online for urls" tool first and decide for yourself. just use google for testing as i don't know which operators are supported by other SEs.

possible combinations are
    - just wildcards: *keyword*
    - wildcards in quotes: "*key word*"
    - with this symbol for related keywords: ~keyword

"~" works like this. search term is "~dog". google will give you results for dog, cats, hamsters or whatever pet that could be related to the term "dog".

for a deeper understanding read the google guide: http://www.googleguide.com/synonym_operator.html

funny side note. the guy in the video uses the SEs collection which i created some while ago (but don't use that anymore).

• What is a wildcard?  
    Is that the same as exact match where it will only search for sites with your EXACT/wildcard within?
  • So if I "import" all these kws within the project setting:   (*keywordA*,*keywordB*,...) 

Then I don't need to do the extra step with scraping with the tool right because once the campaign launches, it'll automatically do that?
  • And I would ONLY tick "use collected keywords to find new target sites", and NOT TICK "collect keywords from target sites" because that would scrape their meta which may not be targeted?
  • OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    if you don't collect keywords than you don't have any "collected keywords" to use for searching. seems logical to me or do i miss something??

regarding the wildcard operator "*" read the google guide.

the keywords you have listed in your projects are used for searching anyway if the engine supports that.
    to get a deeper understanding search for some threads in google with the search term like:

site:forum.gsa-online.de "always use keywords"
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    "targeted URLs" is a joke in my opinion.  If an automated link can be built on a site, that site will get spammed so quick that it's not longer "targeted".
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ozz - interesting idea about using *keyword* for SER to find targets. Have you tested this out at all? 

Surely Google results are limited to 1000 anyway so it doesn't add value...or am I missing something?
  • OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    no, i just saw this in the video the first time and didn't play with it so far. but i guess its easy to test manually and compare the results in the browser with a search term like "powered by wordpress" *dog training*.

if that give you some good results you may able to modify your user defined SEs (userSE.dat) with such operators i guess and use something like this for example:

[google *]
    country=international
    url=http://www.google.com/search?q=*%search%*&as_qdr=all&filter=0&num=100&start=%page%
    links_on_page=100
    start_page=0
    inc_page=100
    enabled=1
    ignore=&oi=translate&|*&h=*&prev=*&zoom=1&q=*|*&sa=X&ei=*&usg=*|atdmt.com|google.|googleusercontent.|googleusercontent.|youtube.|blogger.com|schema.org
    site=site:
    inurl=inurl:
    intitle=intitle:
    link=link:

q=*%search%* <- in theory this will put an astericks right before and after the search term, but i didn't test that and that idea was just crossing my mind the time i was giving you the reply ;)
  • OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    ok, i couldn't resist and done some quick tests.

so its not a bad thing i guess to use different operators when trying to get different results. i don't know it its that usefull for "not that much used" footprints. "powered by wordpress" gives you tons of results of course.

also those extra operators won't give you such "laser targeted" results i guess, if thats important for you.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    How many of those results can SER get to anyway? Surely it's limited to the first 1000 before it needs another search term? That is my initial concern with this.. will need to test though. 
  • yes, 1000 is the max. because of that a fragmentation of search results isn't the worst of ideas.
  • Ok guys, sorry I'm still a bit confused, please bear with me because I'm a newbie with GSR :)

Let's say my niche is "water bottle".  And I only want to target websites with CONTENT about "water bottles".  Should I then find a few hundred keywords on Google keyword tool about "water bottle" and then plug that into the "keyword slot" in GSA?  Would GSA then goes and search for all the SITES with CONTENT about WATER BOTTLES? 

Or should I rather do it manually like that video says:  "advanced -> tools -> search online for urls?