edited March 2013 in Need Help
I read this in the update :

new: ability to re-verify existing links
automatically

Please note that a tier project will also remove
existing URLs
             if the main project removed the URL that the build
link points to.

Logically this reads that if you have a T1 url that gets re-verified and removed
that GSA SER automatically "trims" the rest of the lower tiered tree so as not to lay backlinks to dead ends.

Am I right in assuming that?

Also... How often is re-verification happening?

Is it *aware* when dead proxies cause verification fails?

*it would be horrible to lose links because of a proxy error causing reverification
to cut links that were good but unreachable because of an insane proxy

Thanks
NR

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com

According to @sven : "It only deletes URLs if there is actually something downloaded (none empty page)."

I would take this to mean that there has to be a connection made to the website. I would assume that if the website responds with a page, and there is no link, then it gets deleted.

So this would eliminate the potential issue where a proxy has an issue, and the website can't be reached.

@Sven - please let us know if this is correct.

• If that is the case then it's perfect!!

I have turned it on in my T1's already :)

thanks @ron
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Yes @ron explained it correctly.
  • This would be useful past T1 wouldn't it? Of course it all starts at T1 but if a T2 link dies then we'd want our T3 to know that too right? The juice can't flow with a broken link.

Just asking since it appears you only have it running on your T1's @nicerice
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks @ron and @Sven - awesome addition to the program

If you turn his on for a Tier project, it also checks if the verified links it build and there placed URLs are still part of the main project.

If thats not the case, it also removes them from the tier project even though there link is still OK but obviously linking to a none existing URL from the main page.

Sorry a bit hard to explain but I hope you get it. Maybe someone can explain it better.

• No that makes sense to me... I take this to mean:

*if the originally verified page has no url in it it trims it away and does so
    as well for all subsequent tiers pointing to that now missing page.

No other project is modifying data of another one. But since the tier project is getting the URLs from the main project where it should post to, it knows now if some links have been removed from the main project. Why? Because it knows there verified URLs + the URL it placed on it. And if that placed URL is no longer present on the main project, it will remove it as well.

But if you now turn the "re-verify option" on for all tiers, it means that each project will update there status according to the previous tier/main project.

• edited March 2013

What do you mean by update status according to the previous tier/main project?

Do you mean that the full trim only happens only if you have "re-verify option" on for all tiers?

*sorry to be pedantic on meaning here... just trying to get a super clear understanding
    yes you need to have it enabled for all tiers.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    So if I have a T0 Contextual project and a T1 contextual project (with lower PR settings)

1) I must enable it only on the T0, and it will remove the links that are not existent but leave it off on the T1 project.
    2) BUT if I have a T2 as well, then I must enable it on T0 and T1. This way, T2 only builds links to valid links in T0 (as by setting in T0) and then valid links in T1 (as per setting in T1)?
    @AlexR yes, but it doesn't hurt to turn this on on all projects.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - surely if I turn this on all projects it will spend a lot of time verifying rather than submitting or searching? OR is the verifications ONLY done when nothing else is there for it to do (in which case it would be neat to have it turned on for all) 
    Its done every 24h.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Re-verify is a very, very, fast function, unlike verification of links. Just don't do it for the orphans on the bottom, meaning tiers where nothing else is underneath it.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Why wouldn't you do it for orphans? Surely you want your verified list to be up to date??
  • OzzOzz
    edited March 2013
    because it doesn't matter if the last link of a tier is alive or not. you don't have to built anything underneath it.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I figured it was as above, but isn't it good to have the verified URL's updated for statistics and to check the link distribution? It's just that many users regularly reverify ALL their links so I figured it was more than just removing dead links that get tiered links built. 
  • ronron SERLists.com

I'll say it a different way. Don't encumber SER with this function on the tiers at the bottom. Typically they are the biggest, and it will just suck extra time out of SER creating links.

Do it yourself separately like we have been doing all along. You will just be more efficient.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ron - thanks. That's exactly how I have it setup. Just wanted to double check my logic ;-)