Skip to content

VPS or Dedicated or Home Server?

JaconEthanJaconEthan Canada
edited May 2020 in GSA Search Engine Ranker

VPS or Dedicated Servers are too costly and thus I am planning to get a home server but I am confused between Single CPU vs Dual CPU server

Let’s assume there are two servers: 

1. Single Intel Xeon E5 CPU Server: 3 GHz, 10 cores, 20 threads
  2. Dual Intel Xeon E5 CPU Server: Each CPU has 1.5 GHz, 5 cores and 10 threads. Thus, with 2 CPUs, I am getting the same power as that of the Single CPU server.

For large volume projects, which server will you recommend, and why? Considering the fact that the:

1. The cost of both the setup is the same
  2. Intel or AMD?
  3. Will use GSA Captcha Breaker, GSA SEO Indexer, and maybe XEvil simultaneously.
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    1. use the 3ghz one
    2. AMD
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited May 2020
    "...and maybe XEvil simultaneously."

I went for CapMonster and GSA Captcha Breaker. I wanted something lighter on my system than XRumer/XEvil. As I understood, both XR/XE must be loaded for XEvil to operate. T/F, users who know?

One interesting thing: CapMonster can use the Video Card GPU (but only Nvidia) to do some CAPTCHA  processing math.

• JaconEthanJaconEthan Canada
    edited May 2020
    @TheGypsy
    @ishanpenn
    @solidseovps
    @Deeeeeeee
    @Sven

Does GSA SER, Captcha Breaker, and SEO Indexer use Single Core or Multi-Core?

I'm getting a used 2 units of Xeon 2680v3 Processors for $200. Total power of:
    1. 24 cores (12 Cores per CPU)
    2. 48 threads (24 Threads per CPU)
    3. Clockspeed of 2.5Ghz per each CPU
    4. Turbo Speed of up to 3.3Ghz per each CPU

On another hand, In $200, I am getting a used AMD single CPU
    1. 6 Cores
    2. 12 Threads
    3. Clockspeed of 3.8 GHz
    4. Turbo Speed of Up to 4.4 GHz.

Which one do you recommend now if I am using 32/64 GB RAM in either of the above situations?
  • I'm an intel fan boy since struggled to use ubuntu on an amd machine years back. I only buy intel and the best that I can afford.

But a more important question before you are investing into a home server to run SER on it? Have you got a router that can handle the traffic? My router tops at 50 thread. I've heard that some ISP aren't always happy about this sort of traffic either. I personally never had a problem with it but before you invest in hardware make sure it will work.
  • JaconEthanJaconEthan Canada
    edited May 2020
    TheGypsy said:
    I'm an intel fan boy since struggled to use ubuntu on an amd machine years back. I only buy intel and the best that I can afford.

But a more important question before you are investing into a home server to run SER on it? Have you got a router that can handle the traffic? My router tops at 50 thread. I've heard that some ISP aren't always happy about this sort of traffic either. I personally never had a problem with it but before you invest in hardware make sure it will work.

Regarding the ISP, it's an optical fiber with 100MBPS speed with unlimited bandwidth which I believe is enough. There are no ISP limits for sure. Regarding the router, which model do you suggest for a larger thread?