Skip to content

Captchas Going Bye Bye - Read This!

ronron SERLists.com
edited February 2013 in Other / Mixed

So you thought captchas were going to be around forever. Well read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/internet-advertisers-kill-text-based-captcha-205416291.html

I kind of doubt it will happen overnight. But engine-wide changes can be made with some easy changes to the code, effectively changing all websites using captcha technology in just one update.

Very interesting.

Tagged:

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    This has been a discussion for a long time.  Think about the bulk of sites though, who will want to advertise on spammyXXXsocialbookmarks.com?  You think Tide is going to sell detergent on that site?

Captchas will go away for large sites/companies because it's an additional revenue stream but the sites we work on will never get rid of captchas.

In addition to that, the captcha services will just change to incorporate this new type of captcha.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

In the end it's a captcha as well. CB can even solve that now with the captcha solve type:

"Use fixed results (only useful for static images)"

Of course it needs to collect a lot of sample images to make it work properly but at least it's possible.

• this is nice. i can move that on my forum :)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Yeah @sven I was thinking the same thing. Collect the images.
  • OzzOzz
    edited February 2013
    a collection may not be needed as they are very readable. if CB could cut out the commercial logo and a text like "please enter:" than it could solve that automatically (in my theory at least).

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Surely with CB you can tell it to cut x pixels from top, x from bottom, x from left, and x from right and you would just have the captcha left? Unlikely the logo size changes. 
  • edited February 2013
    What about this type then @ozz?

or this one:

or this one:

• OzzOzz
    edited February 2013
    well, not anything is solvable i guess, lol. but as i see them once in a while when downloading a TV-show something they are most of the time not that hard to solve by now.

however, "solve media" isn't that well known for the platforms we are targeting so far. so its all good now ;)
  • im starting to hate solve media.
  • Its good to see plan for the future :D
  • captcha annoy the users and dont keep spammers or us guys outside .......

the only working things for me is akismet.. or turning my blogcomments off on all blogs (which I have done two years ago....)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited February 2013
    But I think what @sven and I were getting at is that each image has to have a unique identifier. And in a data table, that identifier would be paired with the correct answer. How else could they do it, right?
  • LWDLWD
    edited February 2013
    Catpcha has been around for a while, bots can solve it for a while... They will go with solve media, someone will crack it or make HUUUUGEEEEEE database and we will all have bots again breaking captcha... Simple as that. :)

@ron exactly what I was thinking, in the cases above, you would seek for "Please enter:" on a given puzzle and then xx pixels right in width and as xx pixels in height... :)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited February 2013

It might be based on pixels, but I think they have a data table where it goes something like:

If toyota1.gif, then RAV4

If toyota2.gif, then CAMRY
    etc., etc.