Skip to content

How many links build per month usually

edited November 2012 in Need Help
Hi,

Anyone can tell me how many links build per month did not hit by goolge? I have used GSA-SER a few month ago, but this two months some keywords ranker drop a lot, many keywords from top 10 down #50-#100?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• I called up Google and spoke to Larry Page and he told me the exact number is 54
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited November 2012
    lol ^^

Honestly, if you're asking that question you probably shouldn't be using any type of SEO software. Most likely your keywords dropped because you don't know what you're doing. I'm not trying to be rude, but the software can be extremely effective or can hurt you if you don't have a good grasp on SEO and have a good strategy in place.

There is no exact number on how many links you should build per day/week/month and if anyone claims they know, they're full of it.

You might want to try and check out Ozz's link building guide or some of the other useful threads here. I plan on doing a case study when my blog is done being coded but that's a ways away.

• It's '42' isn't it? :)...
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Yea 42 is the magic number....always!
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    No No No...42 is the meaning of life! 

@takeachance - on a different note. Some time ago you recommended .co.cc for getting domains for a catchall. I have used them for a number of domains. I placed them on one of my hosting servers. Interestingly I have just had a nasty virus ONLY on that server. The only difference between that server and my 4 others is that it has the .co.cc domains. I'm not saying it's the cause, but just wondering about it. Have you had any issues? Is it possible that this could be the source of the virus...
  • edited November 2012
    @globalgoogler I'm sticking with 42 :). I have been using cc domains for about 3 years and never experienced anything like that. I also have a large number 60+ on different servers so I would consider it a coincidence....
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @takeachance - I hope for your sake it's a coincedence! Bloody flipping irritating virus! Anyways...I'm still trying to find out how it got in...
  • OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    the best thing you can do to avoid viruses is to keep your system updated. sometimes you can't do a single thing against an infection. maybe your server was scanned for vulnerabilities because the attacker knew the IP range of your vps provider?! who knows and most propably you'll never know the answer.

AV scanners are more a less a joke compared to that what they promise you (auto detection of unusual behaviours for example). according to this paper of symantec the average zero-day attack lasts 312 days!
    "We also find that a typical zero-day attack lasts 312 days on average and that, after vulnerabilities are disclosed publicly, the volume of attacks exploiting them increases by up to 5 orders of magnitude."

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    We had an issue with a virus before and I lost a lot of work so now the steps I take are:
    1) Regular weekly backup.
    2) Regular monthly backup.
    3) Remove basic wordpress vulnerabilities.
    4) Run 2 website defender plugins..that help remove the easy vulnerabilities out of wordpress. 
    5) Going to now change passwords every month. 
    6) Update all plugins and themes and wordpress versions to latest version 1 week after they are released. (They often do a quick release as they find bugs after a day or two, hence the 1 week delay)

Been quite a learning curve, but figure a serious hacker could quickly get it if they put there mind to it! I just don't want my site to come up on the easiest list of sites to penetrate which should help. 

BUT best advice is to make sure you backup!

I'm just wondering how the virus got in...I am still a bit ignorant about this area...

• I guess from a hackers pov targeting cc domains makes sense since there is probably a greater chance of the webmaster being more unattentive to the security of the website. That said, after accidentally deleting 40+ websites from one of my servers the other week backups and regular ones cannot be overlooked! Doh!!
  • haha -- @cavell has never been able to pipe in here -- and we just hijacked the thread.

You know what?!

I just called Google again and Larry Page said he was joking! 

He put in a call to Matt Cutts -- head of incoming spam -- and Matt confirmed the number is between 37 and 47 -- but he wouldn't point out the magic number.

So it could well be 42 :P

Then I told Larry and Matt to go suck one -- and told both of them I'm going to call Sergey cuz Sergey is back in the trenches!  He should be calling me within the next 30 minutes with a definitive answer after he speaks with the top 10 chief scientists in charge of the Google algorithm.

As far as Wordpress viruses -- most of these are javascript injections and malicious code exploits.

I've faced a couple of these and that's what they were.

They take a little bit to clean up the files and such.

There are some plugins that notify you upon code alteration -- and a number of other plugins that I use for security that change the registration/login page -- ward off excessive login attempts -- etc.

And yes -- backups are necessary -- which are constantly on auto-pilot thanks to BackupBuddy -- my best buddy if you ask me - other than Larry Page and Sergey Bring.  :P
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Never leave home without a towel - I reckon as long as you have a towel in your arsenal you can space travel and find the meaning of Google. :ar!

On the virus front, so it could be the .co.cc that allowed it in?

I have the .co.cc's setup as addon domains and they share the server with my other sites. BUT they aren't anything more than a domain for a mailbox. 

Do you guys reckon this could be the weakness? @takeachance - how have you set them up?

• ronron SERLists.com

All of you comedians here!

@cavell, Seriously speaking, you take new sites at a slower drip and take it up gradually from there. It sounds like you opened the hose and you got all wet. :)

The speed of linkbuilding is an art form. You do need to experiment. But the cardinal rule is to err on the side of *slower* linkbuilding, not faster.

• @globalgoogler I have them set up as you do on addon domains with just the mailbox no wp installs or any hanky panky like that.

@fullspeed that engaged tone you keep hearing is because I had terrible trouble getting larry and sergey off the conference call but their both finished now and they asked me to get you to quit stalking them or else there gonna get crab mutts to label all your sites spam :)
  • @takeachance -- holy *#@# -- I'm doomed  :-D

@ron -- speed of link building IS an art form and finding that HAPPY MEDIUM really is the place where kingdoms are made these days.  I just read over a laughable private post of someone who thinks there is NO real magic super secret -- especially amongst those using GSA since we ALL have the same dipsticks and controls.  I truly believe the guy thinks he's yoda (er, dipstick).

However - finding that magic drip feed rate or anchor text ratio doesn't mean it'll work next week, next month or whatever -- but it's definitely an asset to "dial in" on that through testing.  But slow and low (profile) is what stays under the radar for certain.  Hence, why I suggest simultaneously using web 2.0 sites as buffers so you can actually build links to the web 2.0s while slow dripping to your money site - i.e., build PR juice strength to web 2.0s so it flows through to the money site.

Thing is -- there are SO many random things that happen across the planet from what's happened to folks from Panda/Penguin -- and unknown randomness programmed into the Google algo -- it's hard to really feel concrete about testing even with a good sized sample of test sites across multiple domains/ips/geo-locations.

Nonetheless, I think @cavell has gone radio silent -- or he didn't take to my sarcastic humor.   ;-D
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I think @cavell is still trying to work out if it's 42, 54, or 37...
  • Right -- what I recommend is...  flip a coin  :-D