Skip to content

VPS Specs for running SEO TOOLS

2»

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    @lemonzer - You're welcome :)
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    edited April 2014
    @gooner 600 threads for a dedicated server seems very low... you're wasting money & resources, there are plenty of VPS that will manage 800+ threads with ease on the market that would not cost you around $200 per month I believe you quoted that sort of price for your dedicated server? you do have 4 of them right? so in theory your paying out a monthly fee of $800 on servers alone, just to run SER @ 600 threads.. go buy 4 decently specced VPS machines and you'll save yourself $400 right there.

You did ask me to recommend you a VPS in another thread, but I'm not going to, you should be smart enough to invest $60 for a month to test around and shop around, don't forget though, there are plenty of VPS providers on the web that are really good, they don't have to be the same old two VPS providers that are advertised here over and over, cough berman, cough, solid. Go look around.

I normally have around 90 - 200 projects going and I'm constantly running at 1200 threads, I don't go over 1200 as things start to become less stable and SER begins to freeze on the log, this achieves around 300 - 400 LpM and around 500,000 submissions per day and anything from 150,000 to 300,000 verified links per day.

.Personally speaking, if a machine has around 4gig of ram and a good CPU, you shouldnt need to run the scheduler, you should have enough processing power to manage the load, this also has to do with sven and updates at times, there has been previous occasions where I would be able to run over 200 projects fine @ 1200 threads but then after an update, I wouldnt be able to achieve the same, because of memory warning errors, hence people would suggest to use the scheduler, I say.. why bottleneck yourself when you know damn right what your machine is capable of, So I very rarely update my SER... find a version that works for you and leave it be.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @tim89 - I do what works for me and my team and i have tested 4 different VPS suppliers and none could touch the performance of the dedicated servers we use.

As stated before, the dedi's are used for a variety of software that would not be possible with 4 GB RAM.

If you know a VPS that can perform at the level you say, why not share it with everybody?

I am happy with my setup, money is not an issue. But there are people here that require help and probably need to watch their budget... So help them, that's what this forum is for isn't it?
  • @Tim89 what vps are u using ? ssdapp ?
  • I wonder how 90~200 projects running at the same time can work with any powerful computer.  Running the scheduler with 10~20 projects isn't all about keeping the memory low while maximizing RPM?
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    edited April 2014
    @lemonzer That is using a home computer.

@jesse This has been answered many times, SER being a 32bit application can only use a certain amount of ram, the rest is CPU dependant predominantly, more cores, more threads, the better, accompany that with 4gigs of ram so the OS runs smoothly, you'll be golden.

Using the schedule function lowers overall system usage.. lowers CPU usage mainly, this is why it is recommended, but as I said, more cpu cores/threads,  the better.

SSD's do not make SER build links faster, a standard SATA II drive is more than enough, many people pay over the odds for SSD's but I'd sacrifice a SSD for an additional 2-4 cores / 4/8 threads any day. Most VPS companies push reasons for stupid subscription prices due to having amazing SSD's which lets you load up Windows 20 seconds faster etc etc, the only thing it will do is offload your verified sitelists to SER a little faster, but SER then has to process the list log, which involves CPU & RAM usage.

So when looking for a VPS, lose the SSD's and get the SATA II drives, this should bring prices down, with this sacrifice, increase your CPU.

@Jesse my computer works pretty darn good with 150 projects running at 1200 threads as we speak and I'm also running additional apps and typing this reply to you too.
  • I think 150 projects / 1200 threads is like a record. No jealousy but just envy. I may not have the budget.