Skip to content

Free Software - SER Footprint Editor (easily add footprints to SER engines)

Comments

• LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

So far, so good

Our net has been running in reverse today, im sure of it for the speeds I have been getting

Even getting a decent connection to my vps has been hit and miss, with no one else using the net here

So I haven't been able to get on and have a proper play and tweak

• A valuable tool.  Thanks s4nt0s :)
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    Latest version has a change log and adds the check option to only check unchecked footprints. Let me know if you find more bugs.
  • Santos:

The application crashes on my VPS after i select a platform and hit "next". 
    edited January 2014
    @satans_apprentice - What operating system are you using and are you on version 1.0.2.1? Can you send me the text that appears when it crashes? You can usually hit "more details" and it gives more info.
  • Question. I do all my scraping with GScraper. If i add additional footprints into my engines using this tool will it allow me to post to more sites or just scrape more?
    @sweeppicker - Well its basically allowing it to search for more possible targets which would lead to more submissions. Depending on how good your footprints are will determine how many of those newly scraped sites will be successfully submitted.

If you're seeing it scraping a lot more targets but seeing "no engine matches" then you can try to drill down to get more targeted footprints.

• OK thanks. I would imagine my GSA results wlll be different than Gscraper because it allows for more SEs.
  • edited January 2014
    @s4nt0s - It's crashing on my VPS when clicking next as well:
    Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: SER Footprint Editor.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 52cd16b4
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c78c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000000a49d
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: ab93
    Additional Information 2: ab9302d0a1474eea88eb6fbe48e1f692
    Additional Information 3: 903c
    Additional Information 4: 903c7ee37ea7566e31fc270f0b8f0a24
  • edited January 2014
    Also crashing in VPS when I press next after selecting engine. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: SER Footprint Editor.exe Application Version: 1.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 52cd16b4 Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514 Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c78c Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000000000000a49d OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.274.10 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: ab93 Additional Information 2: ab9302d0a1474eea88eb6fbe48e1f692 Additional Information 3: 903c Additional Information 4: 903c7ee37ea7566e31fc270f0b8f0a24

Does it say version 1.0.2.1 at the top of the software? Just making sure you're using the latest version.
  • @s4nt0s - Yes the version is 1.0.2.1 for me
    Did you download from the newer link I posted on page 2? That is the changed version with bug fixes. 

You would need to uninstall the previous version and install this version. The previous version won't be updated anymore.
  • edited January 2014
    @s4nt0s - I get the same error with download link above. I uninstalled the old version and installed the new version - http://i.imgur.com/0E6c8kq.png
    Ok, pushed new update that should fix this for the people that are having issues. (hopefully) 

@mcscappum - Thanks for letting us log into your server to debug. :)
  • edited January 2014
    Would it be considerably less optimal to just take all the footprints under one engine (such as all pre-defined footprints under Article in SER) and finding more footprints with Gscraper? Then I would just have one "All Article Modified" area for all the new footprints found in Gscraper.

The new section would just be a hodge podge of new footprints for all the Article engines for GSA to use... not separated at all. Is that a bit too hacky? To find footprints for each and every platform would take a long time... just looking for a shortcut.
  • edited January 2014
    @Santos I'd like to add to @mcscappum 's post as I have thousands of footprints across a wide range of platforms that I'd like to use but is there a way of loading them all in and the tool figuring out what SER Engine is for what footprint? I know this sounds like a very lazy person's question and I should just get on with it and load each relevant footprint to each Engine but it will take forever...plus there are some footprints that I don't know go with what Engine, or at least I wouldn't want to miss out on potential targets......

I know it might be impossible or it might cause billions of duplicates but that's what the 'remove duplicate URL/domains/clean list' is for in SER....

Or.....am I better off buying Gscraper and importing lists? I am running the footprints through Scrapebox but I fear that I'm not getting as good a list as I could be.

Unfortunately, there is no way to load all the footprints into the tool and have it sort them for each platform. It would have to have some kind of platform detection and would require a lot more development and really not sure how well that would work.

The whole idea is to add targeted footprints to the existing engines but if you're adding a bunch of mixed footprints or footprints that aren't really targeted for that engine, you might do a lot of scraping and just end up with a lot more "no engine matches".

What you should do is focus on the engines you use the most. You definitely don't need to add footprints to every platform. 

For me, I've beefed up some of the contextual platforms because I use those the most. If you use a lot of guestbooks, image comments, etc. then you can add those.

Gscraper is just a more automated way to get possible footprints but it isn't perfect.

It does take time to come up with footprints but it's probably worth it if done right.

Who knows, maybe someone will come up with a "footprint pack" for sale or something. 
  • Thanks @Santos, that makes sense. I just don't want to go into modifying the engines without being certain on what I'm doing will work.

As for a 'footprint pack' I was just going to give these out for free once I know what works.
  • This tool + Gscraper is great. @s4ntos I was just looking for a shortcut but you're right that it wouldn't work too well.
  • Gscraper is great.  Although Yes it's very Time consuming I spent a week scraping and getting new footprints for platforms.  But just from that alone I'm seeing a ton more targets.
  • One Question Does this software send back data to server ? i.e. all the footprints added by me to a central database on the server ? 
    edited January 2014
    @DonCorleone - No absolutely not. All your footprints and how you use the software is completely private. The server is just used for automatic updating. :)
  • I am getting the following errors, i did all the .net installs upfront.

SOURCES
    Server : Microsoft-IIS/8.0
    X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
    Server : Microsoft-IIS/8.0
    X-Powered-By : ASP.NET

IDENTITIES
    Deployment Identity : SER Footprint Editor.application, Version=1.0.2.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=712e367a8ad1b645, processorArchitecture=msil
    Application Identity : SER Footprint Editor.exe, Version=1.0.2.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=712e367a8ad1b645, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
    * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of http://67.231.105.140/Releases/SER/SER Footprint Editor.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    + Store metadata "ApplicationSourceUri" is not valid.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:16 PM] : Activation of http://67.231.105.140/Releases/SER/SER Footprint Editor.application has started.
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:27 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:27 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:29 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:37 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
    * [1/19/2014 4:55:37 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
    * [1/19/2014 5:13:21 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.
    * [1/19/2014 5:13:21 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [1/19/2014 5:13:23 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (SubscriptionState)
    - Store metadata "ApplicationSourceUri" is not valid.
    - Source: System.Deployment
    - Stack trace:
    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetPropertyString(DefinitionAppId appId, String propName)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetPropertyUri(DefinitionAppId appId, String propName)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
    at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CollectCrossGroupApplications(Uri codebaseUri, DefinitionIdentity deploymentIdentity, Boolean& identityGroupFound, Boolean& locationGroupFound, String& identityGroupProductName)
    at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

edited January 2014
    Grrrrr ... lol. Thought we ironed out all the bugs with the last build. Which OS are you using?

I'll send this to my developer.
  • windows xp.
  • Will it require to add the footprints to ser after an ser update? How do you know if an engine was updated by sven?
    @herby - PM'd you.

@ovidius - Did you get a chance to watch the video? SER doesn't override the modified platforms because they are renamed. 
  • No sorry, I jumped here. I'll have a look now.
  • Very interesting, thanks! Looks like I will need to get Gscraper going.