Skip to content

Anyone having drastic SERP ups and downs?

So as the question goes by, one of my new site (closer to being 2 months old) is (and even a one or two of my competitors) are having high jumps on SERPs like if it was 8 or 23 now, it'd go sit after 150 in few hours.

Anyone else having the same thing for some of their sites? What is being pushed out by G currently then or what exactly it might be the issue right now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Sounds like Google dance. You could slow the link velocity a little or just keep on building and ride it out until it settles (maybe a couple of weeks). I always think if it's moving then it's a positive thing. Google is evaluating your site compared to others and it will come back stronger. If it goes down a few hundred and stays there for a week or two....then class that as a penalty. 
  • Ye I do have idea about that. :)
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    edited November 2013
    Exactly as @JudderMan stated, this normally happens when your building links and have a lot of tiered building going on, google is constantly reevaluating your links and your tier 1 back links.

I actually find that once you lower your velocity or even simply let your site sit for a week or so, your rankings will then balance out and you will see a clearer picture.

I mainly put this down to the algo trying to calculate your links authority but it is constantly finding new links resulting in massive fluctuations.

Slow down on the link building. Especially your tier 1 and 2's, you should be ok for working on tier 3's if this is included in your strategy.
  • Thanks guys. Any more inputs btw? @ron  or anyone?

Thanks.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    ^^Good advice by both guys above.
  • What is actually happening is your link velocity was so high you hit a spam filter. I've done this many times. In many cases you will experience a rank drop from anywhere from a couple days to six weeks. If your links are considered good quality you will rise back and eventually surpass your previous rank. 

As the guys mentioned above I would significantly slow down your link velocity or even stop completely so your not constantly tripping their filters and you should return higher (assuming the links are of good quality).
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Slower in the beginning is golden advice for worthwhile properties. I probably average 4 good sites that work out out of 10 projects. Reasons vary. Not enough time to analyze 'failures' when the exact same approach is used for a successful property vs. a failure. So don't sweat every project expecting success. It doesn't work that way.

• @ron What do you do with the failures? Take down and recycle the content into a new site? Or just leave it up and let it ride eating he hosting costs? 

And at what point do you call it a day on a site based on time and ROI? I'm trying to decide a timeline for failures myself. I'm debating 3, 6 or 12 months and earning at least $100 a month (or a specific traffic goal if under monetized). 
  • @Wizzardly - 6-8 weeks of non-movement from constant link-building would make me think the site is penalised especially if the exact same link-building is working on other domains in similar/same niche (this is important..as not all niches react the same as others, I've found....what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another). Use Disavow for branded domains or buy a new domain for EMD/partial EMDs.

I have tested 302s and 301s on penalised test domains and 301s 'seem' to remove the penalty after 5-6 weeks. I have tried 302ing penalised domains to high authority domains in my niche and it kinda worked but then the penalty came back - I saw a thread on BHW stating that a temp 302 then removed would give you a boost in the SERPs, so I thought it might work for tricking the search engine spiders to remove a penalty...which I was hopeful of but it didn't work.

If you have clients, run links through a hosted high da/pa domain ie. an expired one. Something that you control anyway, so you can swap domains easily in case you fk up.
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited November 2013
    With regards to the OP , It sounds like dancing/filters, but there was also (apparently) something fairly big going on a few days ago (around the 14th Nov.) with the Google algo that might have caused the SERPs in your niche to get shaken up as well.

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited November 2013
    @Wizzardly - I give the site about 2-3 months.

If it isn't working out, and if I think it is penalized, and if I have data that it actually converts visitors to clicks, and clicks to sales, I will probably keep it / move it to another website.

If I can easily make another similar site, then I keep that one and ram it with links for the Bing serps. Don't discount Bing too much.

I was just looking at one of my sites that only ranks in Bing, and it makes close to $1,000 per month. Another site I have that ranks only in Bing has a 6% conversion rate and makes about $500 per month on just that site.

Just because a site is a failure on Google does NOT mean game over. Trust me. You can make a living off Bing with just penalized properties. Bing is my 'Google Graveyard", and it is a profitable graveyard. 
  • It usually takes about 3 months for the links to properly age and transfer all the link juice. Sometimes you may not see any movement for a month or longer and then all of a sudden the KWs shoot up. Google does this to prevent spamming.  I've done all sorts of crazy experiments such as indexing thousands of T2s in a single day to a single T1. Their is definitely a quarantine period before Google will trust a link or site site especially if they suspect rank manipulation.  This happens alot with aggressive link building  and can be the culprit but as long as your building "quality" and natural-looking links and you're not over optimized the "time-out" filters will decay and your rankings will pop up.

It's good to build multiple sites at once so you don't dwell on one project too much.
  • @ron what sorts of links work great for bing? Is the tiered linking suggested in one of your posts good for Bing too?
  • @sweeppicker do you use GSA alone or other sources too for linkbuilding as you mention quality links in your posts? If GSA, do you do tiered linking as suggested by @ron and @ozz or a different method?
  • Ranking in Bing/Yahoo?  Soooo Easy.  Get EMD And Spam Site = Win.
  • @splendour. I have a very small private network but I do most of my link building in GSA. When I think quality, Web 2.0s, articles, etc, come to mind. Think links that are useful to the end user. This is what Google wants. They hate over-promotion and aggressive marketing and this is why excessive link velocity and anchor text optimization can be problematic. Hence, why they have these spam filters in place. You have to be patient even if you're doing things correctly and this is why I build multiple sites at once because I don't expect to see any significant traffic for at least a month or two.

BTW, link age DOES matter ... e.i .. I built a single link to one of my sites from my tiny little network and after 3 months the traffic soared to 700 UVs a day.... the first two months It only hovered at 20UVS/day! 

Yes, I use tiered linking in a similar manner that Ron and Ozz have suggested which are btw very good blueprints.

• @sweepicker - have you expierenced any penalties for some sites in your blog network after linking to new money sites ? I ask because, I have like 10 long term sites and could help out newcomers but do not want to mix their link profile. 

Currently I am using SER for more than 2 month and can get only to 1st -3rd positionon page2 for my main kw. Not bad, but if I am not in top 3 than its the same as being on page 127. 
  • No penalties (knock on wood) yet. Continue dripping T2s to your T1s and you ll move up. Patience is needed.
  • hey! i have the same problem since the 16 of november

i was on top 5 for my main keyword and now im i cant find my site

what i do on my site? tiered links 

i find my tier 1 on page 2 and 3 but my money site dissapear
  • well i would not worry much if i was in ur shoes because serp fluctuation like that means ur site is been evaluated. If i were u i will reduce the links for it to settle
  • @kindit77 and everyone. Thanks for the advise. However, what I'm having at the moment is a lot of link loss, like I had 138 links say for it, I'm down to 60 in this 1 and half week. Also somehow SER is posting slow now not sure because it has to verify more links or what so that also is another issue here for overcoming the drastic link loss.

So what your, others and especially @ron 's advise would be? Should I post like the world is coming to end to overcome this link loss or still keep the pace low while many links are being lost?

Thank you.
  • if u re experiencing link loss keep the slow pace you have adopted just my 2cent. I av a question 4 u or anyone what email are u using in ser hotmail or catchall
  • I never understood what is catchall email all about? Mind explaining to me? I use hotmail btw from that banditim site (I forgot the guy's name whose here, the owner of the site).

Cheers.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    @pratik how are you tracking your link loss?
  • @Tim89 For now, I just checked the verified links being lost in SER's verified window but I do usually pay heed to ahref's report. Here, it indicates same as well:

• links rolling off of the page they were originally crawled on, that's all
  • @JamPackedSpam you mean engines with moving pages? Because if so, my Tier 1 is simply contextual.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited November 2013
    Here's a case in point. I started link building to one of my sites for a VERY competitive keyword that I have tried to rank for and failed twice (on 2 different domains). I started again on a new domain around 29th October. Building about 100-200 links a day of variable quality. The page didn't go anywhere, then it appeared BAM rank number 2 in Google on/around 15th November and stayed there for about 6-7 days. Then yesterday is disappared completely, right out of the SERPS, I went back as far as page 10 and gave up. Then yesterday I checked and it's at rank 3 now.... I haven't changed my link velocity if that helps. I have no idea why, I assume Google is up to something, it can't just be link loss. Edit: OK it's 4 now. WTF
  • edited November 2013
    Yup, not just me then. Strong ups and down. Definitely something is going on at Google level. As @spunko2010 said, not alone here haha.

Spunko, mind sharing how you got that much links in a day? I assume you also had non-contextual links in it as well?

Cheers.
  • @Pratik It's easy to get that many links just turn off a few filters, tick a few more search engines (I tick about 80% of them) and/or use lists. Although I don't usually use lists on T1.