Skip to content

Details On Using Catchall Emails

Comments

• Yeah...Ozz was very generous to me as well! Here's a PUBLIC thanks Ozz!! L-)

That's one thing that is great about this forum...everyone sharing and helping each other!

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Agreed....Ozz is a champ!

@DavidA2 - the little smiley you used is something we used to do when I was young (use your fingers to make an L on your forehead) and it meant "L" for "Loser" - you've got me chuckling! (obviously you didn't intend this!)
  • If that is what he is doing, my apologies to Ozz! (I wouldn't think a smiley face would be calling someone a "loser".) I thought he was holding up his first finger...as in "You're #1".
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    "I'm not a number - I'm a free man!" ;) 
    (Quotation of TV serie "The Prisoner")
  • Thanks for the levity guys...you gave me a good laugh. I just read a couple other threads where the posters could have used one. Geez...some people get their panties all in a wad! And it usually ends up that they had something set wrong (ie - the problem was their fault).
  • if u r worried about bandwidth..take advantage of google apps
  • can i use 1 catchall domain for more than 1 project?
  • also, will this work:
    @{1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0}mail{a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x|y|z}@domain.com
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    Yes, but remember that you have to check "Delete message when verification was found" in email varification and not the other option ("Delete all...")
  • regarding your second question.
    it will work and create a mail like "2mailx@domain.com" for you if that is what you want.
  • ok thanks, thats exactly what i want. this way i have control over email logins - it worked better in xrumer than just random login, especially if catchon domain used in more projects, so we will see the results ;) thanks again mate.
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    you could also spin it like this with the same results:
    %random-0-9%mail%random-a-z%@domain.com
  • oh great, thanks
  • are you sure it is working? when click check backlist it shows %random..... @domain, while if you do {dsds|dsds}@domain then it shows word@domain

• hmm, I tested it in and %random-a-z% gives me numbers (like 6mail57@domain.com). i'm pretty sure there is a variable for random letters.

until Sven can clarify this you should test it with:

%random-0-9%mail@{a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x|y|z}@domain.com

test it in your project options:
    double click project -> test

its working for me.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    next version will understand %random-a-z% as well. :)
  • Thanks for this guys. That cron job bit is the bees knees!

It seems like using a macro that pulls the same name that is being used for registering would be the best way to go, right? Looks cleaner than adding numbers or random characters and it's our own catchall so it's not like the email is already taken.

%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%@catchall.com

Will this pull the same name as is being used to register on that site? For instance Adam Stevenson is registering with adamstevenson@catchall.com? And can we force the macro to use lowercase... some sites don't like uppercase in the email field when registering.

One other point, since I saw TakeAChance mention it above. I have seen catchall domains get blacklisted by web2's before so just keep that in mind.
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    >Will this pull the same name as is being used to register on that site? For instance Adam Stevenson is registering with adamstevenson@catchall.com?
    Hmm, good question. I checked my account data and yes, this should be the case :)
    Email name = Account name.

>And can we force the macro to use lowercase... some sites don't like uppercase in the email field when registering.
    If you know of an engine that is not working because of it than report it. Its no problem to only create lower case emails within the script.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What's the best practice regarding the email now as there are two different approaches here.
    To use:
    %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%@catchall.com
    or 
    %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1-9999%@catchalldomain.com

I think both is fine. The first one looks way more legit to me.
  • I use a hybrid of those:
    %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@catchalldomain.com
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ozz - does that match the names that it uses for submission? I.e. if name=John and surname="Smith" does the email use the same random names chosen for submission or different ones? I.e. could email then be "Ben.Marks@" and random name chosen is "John" "Smith"? (This could get quite a few moderated blog comments deleted/noted for spam)
  • as far as i know, yes :)
    john.smith@catchall.com should be first name=john, sur name=smith in registration form.

i just checked a few accounts though. but you can export your account data and compare name/email in case both is used for registration.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks. This should greatly increase success rate. 
    whenever you use %spinfile*% the content is keep in mind for that file and when used again on the same site it is using the same content (but only for that submission step). If you want to use the content globally you must use "static=1" in your engine script (gets to technical again sorry).
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    So what you're saying is that by using 
    "%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@catchalldomain.com" 

is that everytime it posts to the same platform in the project it will use the exact same email address? 
    no, it will just the same email for that site only.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks...all cleared up!
  • @sven

%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@catchalldomain.com

I can spin the domain name too. right ?

As long as all the domain in the "spin" are forwarded to the same catchall email address. Since a project can only define 1 pop3 server.

Will GSA SER have a problem with this strategy ?
    @sootedninja this works as well yes.