Skip to content

SERP drop since GSA SER usage?

edited October 2012 in Need Help
i must admit im fairly new at this traditionally i would just for my links etc...but ive been using ser for about 2 weeks now, watched and implemented all the tutorials got about 3k total links verified which i index with gsa seo indexer...33 percent domain anchors...keywords from keyword suggestion tools derived from each target keyword...target keyword in domain...100 percent on page seo according to easy wp seo plugin on all target pages...articles from wicked article creator per keyword and project...no more than 50 obl...pr2 or higher...sent my site through gsa indexer just in case...had early 2nd page ranking on most of the words no i am seeing a steady decline...is my recent link building hurting or has G yet to index it all...if there is anyone that can give some tips to improve serps with my setup let me know...i want to know if i am doing damage rather than helping or am i just being impatient...also something weird..i remember before it was much easier to rank on B and Y but i am nowhere to be found there but on G i am...just confused looking for some tips and info if anyone can help longstanding bhw guy trying to do his own link building from here on out just need a few pointers maybe thanks

Comments

• Are you using EMD? Could you have possibly been hit by latest google update?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    I...can't..read...all...that...text..without...a...normal...punctuation.
  • Kevin, different people will have different opinions. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) As mentioned, there was an update targeting EMD so this could be the reason
    2) 3k verified links to the money site directly over 2 weeks I think is an overkill. People will have different opinions, but I think on the safe side I wouldn't do so many. Better to be safe than sorry. I haven't really used GSA on my money site yet - more to 1st Tiers and I think most people are using it this way, but I may be wrong. Again, I prefer to adopt a safer position than be sorry.

One thing about GSA is that it's a set and forget automated tool. So I wouldn't need to rush things. Just do it slowly.

3) Also, there's the google dance. So blasting links may just be causing your site to dance around. I think all of us have had sites like that. Sometimes it can take days or even weeks or months before you see it return.

4) My advice - and I am by no means expert - is to a) go more slowly and b) think about targetting GSA at 1st or 2nd tier sites and not directly at money site. Others may have a different opinion. Blast away, others.
  • apologize for the "improper" punctuation but this is the internet lol. ok so im confused isnt the gsa seo indexer supposed to make my links show and count without having to wait around for them to be crawled. ok so from what i understand is i should take my good relevant high pr low obl links and link build on those within gsa

also from what i understand EMD is exact match domain...no my domain itself doesnt not contain the keywords. only pages within the site example  site.com/keyword1  site.com/keyword2  and i then optimize on page seo to that word and made a project for each in gsa page with the coinciding anchors, keywords, articles for each url within my money site. they are essentially alternate landing pages.

im still confused though as to what gsa seo indexed does then. from what it looks like it is building links on the links i just made. so wouldnt that be enough "tier" link building?

as of now i just turned down my threads and made it use only relevant links to my 820 keywords and pr3 or higher with max 50 obl alot less links now but have gotten some goodies from what it looks like. only 4 in the last few hours though haha

sorry if i offended anyone with my punctuation but i would appreciate input in this as i have acquired all the tools and want to know how to properly utilize them without damaging my site

thanks
  • Kevin,

The update targeting EMDs seem to have affected non-EMD sites too. Or at least non-EMD sites were affected by a recent Panda update near the update targeting EMD. So all sites are fair game.

Regarding my suggestion to target your tier sites, again, this is just one viewpoint. I'm not sure what most people here do, but I know many people target their Tier 1s and 2s with GSA. This is not just to index the Tier 1s, but also to give more power to our tier 1 links. I don't use the GSA SEO Indexer. I may soon.

There's no strict rule as to how to use GSA. Test it out and see what you're comfortable. I'm still in testing mode and that's why I prefer to be as safe as possible. The reason why we prefer to target our 1st Tier than our money site is that obviously GSA's links aren't that high quality as others. I create a high quality Tier 1, then I reinforce it with GSA. GSA's uniqueness (in my opinion) is the automation. The set and forget aspect of it.

I will also be testing GSA out on some money sites (those I'm willing to lose). But with your above strict criteria, I think it should probably be OK on your money site. Just my opinion. Would like to hear others.
  • edited October 2012
    I think the biggest problem is that you don't have much/enough knowledge about SEO. "SERP drop since GSA SER usage?" -> It is not the fault of GSA SER, if your rankings dropped.

You should be thankful for jonathanjon. He actually read your lustless formatted post and wrote a perfect answer to your question. There are many factors involved and nobody aside you can know what the actual problem with your site is.

If you can't find the problem yourself, you know that you have a long time of reading and acquiring knowledge in front of you. I know it sounds a bit rude and arrogant, but better somebody tells you the truth now before you caused even more damage.
  • in no way was i bashing SER its amazing, especially for the price. i wrote the post at 5am after 20 hours of doing what i actually make money from. this link building and seo stuff is just to help bring more attention to it.

i never said it was because of gsa ser i was questioning why i just wanted to understand some factors as to why it happened. the issue was with how i was using it and wanted to understand the proper approach assuming nearly everyone here knows more than me as i just started doing this two weeks ago. regardless my business has net over 150k each of the last 3 years merely from the products and services i provide, i just want to take it to a larger scale with search engine visibility.

i can say i never expected to get such angry responses, jonathanjon has been very helpful and i appreciate him "bearing" with my punctuation. funny thing is i have been on bhw for almost 4 years now and never had anyone speak to me like this, i apologize for asking questions but i was under the impression that is what a "support forum" is for
    >:D<

i apologize once again, i guess the knowledge i have acquired over the last two weeks offends some people i will be sure never to ask a question on this forum again, just figured it would be easy to go from first-third result on page 2 with no link building to the top spot with ser. anyways goodbye
  • I agree with both Johnathan and Erbensuppes statements above. You just don't seem to have much of a grasp on how SEO works. Even your initial statement (which wasn't even typed in paragraph format properly for people to read) was waaaay off it's marker.

Your 1st paragraph where you state "in no way was i bashing SER its amazing" is untrue as even your title states and assumes that because your using SER, your SE rankings have dropped, so don't change your stance now.

The responses above are not angry, but the simple fact that your NEW to SEO and your initial post on this forum is blaming SER for your SE ranking drop is not a good way to start off your thread, so common sense dictates your going to get some "hard feedback" in response. This is just human nature and is truly justified.
    Your BHW comment is almost laughable because I am an active member there as well and I KNOW how people are on BHW. If you've been an active member of BHW for 4 years and have any amount of posts there, I am 100% sure you have been flamed on more than several occasions...........even if you didn't deserve it, so don't compare this civilized forum to BHW (Wild Wild West).

Your last paragraph just speaks volumes on your personal logic. It's sooooo easy to see that your blaming SER for your ranking drops when you openly state you only have 2 weeks of SER experience. Why would  you even start your thread off as you did then? You could have got MUCH better quality help if you stated you were new and asked for some tips on how to use SER better. This is just common etiquette kevinell. Take responsibility for your own comments and don't try to backstep and say you were not bashing SER when you were, it's openly posted here ^^^^^^^
    [-(
  • i never blamed ser, i was just wondering if something i was doing wrong within ser was affecting my serps. something like this is obviously about what you do with it. i ran down what i had been doing trying to summarize quickly as to not waste peoples time (hence the dots) to see if there was something simple they could point out right off the bat. building too fast directly to my money site, was what i suspected. as you can tell i dont really know thats why i was asking and never meant to offend anyone. why would i? i clicked on the forum link within the software and said to myself maybe some experienced users could point out the flaws in what im doing. i was actually fairly excited and came back hoping it was some simple fix. during no point was i flustered or angry in any way. besides my site had only dropped 4-5 spots, i was just expecting a rise when i used the high quality links in conjunction with seo indexer. i just figured i was doing something wrong.

i entered this discussion with an open mind in hopes of someone more experienced pointing me in the right direction. that did happen to an extent with jj's advice. i was eager to learn about how to fully utilize this powerful piece of software. still am but i can say at this point i feel let down with all hate i have recieved from peoples interpretations of what i said. i know what i said, i know what i meant. there is no reason for me to backtrack on my stance when my stance was "i think im doing something wrong" if i truly thought the software was the issue why would i ask support for it and not just ask for a refund lol. which i do not want because it is great.
  • I'd say just play around with GSA.  When I first started using it  I didn't see good results at all.   I even made posts about it on BHW.  After playing with GSA for a while I figured out what works for me. So, youu basically just have to figure out what works for you. 

There are a lot of tips and hints by simply just reading around.  I know I've layed out quite a few of them on what works for me and my sites. 

Best of luck to ya Kevinell. :)

• Kevinell, I'm pretty new to GSA as well - about the same time as you. But maybe I've had more time than you to stay around the forum and ask questions - I've asked loads of them and got involved in conversations and the people here have been mostly very helpful. So stick around.

There are some good posts out there - like some that GlobalGoogler has written on best practices with others chipping in - including Hunar. You'll see a lot of viewpoints and so you can test them out.

An automated program is only as good as people use it. So it takes time to understand it. I have a few other automated programs I'm paying a bit for and there's always a learning curve that comes with it.

GSA is awesome because it's a program I think I should be able to rely on for my links to my 1st/2nd tiers. But I would use others for my quality 1st tier links to my money site - another automated program or even doing it manually (outsourcing). But I think Hunar and maybe others have used GSA successfully to target their money sites. So again, differences in opinions. I always like to be safe.

If you have a huge business that's getting a lot of money with a few sites, then maybe you should take it a bit slow and be safe also.

Cheers and keep posting :)
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks Jonathan, nice to see everybody on forums are not jerks..

Seriously Grafx, Why did you bother stopping by to post? To make him feel bad, to make yourself feel good? Or just because you cant resist posting in a thread that already has a guy (Jonathan) nice enough already handling the situation and you felt compelled to muddy that up? Why waist time making a post to micro analyze OP thread instead of just moving on, or at least be somewhat helpful about it. This guy paid money for his software and he was most likely not way off base in thinking that maybe he was using the software wrong and what he could do to fix recent rankings drop. I hope 77 isn't your birth year because if it is you shouldn't be worrying about Kevin's personal logic, but your own for bothering to post here.

grafx77 said: I agree with both Johnathan and Erbensuppes statements above. You just don't seem to have much of a grasp on how SEO works. Even your initial statement (which wasn't even typed in paragraph format properly for people to read) was waaaay off it's marker.

Your 1st paragraph where you state "in no way was i bashing SER its amazing" is untrue as even your title states and assumes that because your using SER, your SE rankings have dropped, so don't change your stance now.

The responses above are not angry, but the simple fact that your NEW to SEO and your initial post on this forum is blaming SER for your SE ranking drop is not a good way to start off your thread, so common sense dictates your going to get some "hard feedback" in response. This is just human nature and is truly justified.
    Your BHW comment is almost laughable because I am an active member there as well and I KNOW how people are on BHW. If you've been an active member of BHW for 4 years and have any amount of posts there, I am 100% sure you have been flamed on more than several occasions...........even if you didn't deserve it, so don't compare this civilized forum to BHW (Wild Wild West).

Your last paragraph just speaks volumes on your personal logic. It's sooooo easy to see that your blaming SER for your ranking drops when you openly state you only have 2 weeks of SER experience. Why would  you even start your thread off as you did then? You could have got MUCH better quality help if you stated you were new and asked for some tips on how to use SER better. This is just common etiquette kevinell. Take responsibility for your own comments and don't try to backstep and say you were not bashing SER when you were, it's openly posted here ^^^^^^^

• OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    Calm down everyone and stay on topic from now on.

Everyone is right in one way or another. OP did choose a misleading title with bad punctuation and was critizised for that with good reason in my opinion. But he did corrected his mistake and apologized for it. Nothing more he can do.