Skip to content

This Proxy Thing Is Going To Get *My* IP Banned

ronron SERLists.com
edited October 2012 in Need Help

Guys, I have 30 private proxies (BuyProxies.org). I would expect GSA to stop posting if for some reason the proxies had too much action and temporarily stopped working.

What I would not want under *any circumstance* is for GSA to post under my own IP address - but that's exactly what it has been doing. My IP address is now all over the forum and bot planet as a spammer instead of my proxies.

I am ready to scream. I do not see anyplace on the software where you have an option to stop posting if for some reason your proxies aren't working or need a breather. I *assumed* that it would never use your own IP address. Obviously that's not the case.

Sorry for the venting as I am this product's most ardent supporter in countless forums. If I did something stupid or missed something, please let me know.

But in the event that I didn't miss something, then this is something that is not acceptable under any circumstance. I can't afford to have Comcast shut me down. In the meantime, I am not running GSA.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Have you activated the "Automatically disable bad proxies on use" feature?
    Sometimes proxies don't work correct for a moment and then I think they get disabled because of this feature and the real IP is used.
    Can somebody confirm? Will add this to the FAQ if true.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2012

Yes, that is the default setting. It did cross my mind that this setting might have something to do with it, but I have never had this issue before.

If it sheds any light, I went into the proxies and found that all 30 private proxies were disabled. The previous day I went in and found that half were disabled.

It seems to me that you would not want private proxies automatically disabled, because as you said, sometimes they have hiccups for a few minutes, but in actuality they are fine.

Regardless, my ip was apparently used because at one instance or another each of the 30 private proxies may have have not made a solid connection - so they got disabled one by one until none were left.

And that's where I think GSA started using my own IP address without my knowledge.

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    Yes I'd leave "automatically disable bad proxies on use" disabled if you're using private proxies. If you're using public proxies and the software is constantly scraping new ones every x amount of minutes you could leave it on.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I agree. But now we need some kind of explanation from Sven. I sure as heck do not want my IP being used. And that is exactly what GSA did.

• edited October 2012
    I went and checked and my proxies weren't working either at the moment and I had the default "automatically disable..." checked. Does this mean gsa used my real ip as well? How do you check?

I would think since i have use proxies everywhere and all my proxies were disabled that gsa would not work and I would get an error message but that was not the case.
  • ronron SERLists.com

When I manually checked the hotmails with the built-in spam blacklist checker, I found my IP address everywhere on the stop forum spam pages. It's enough to make you sick.

This issue really needs attention. I know this can be fixed. Other software give you the option to either stop processing if proxies fail, or use your own IP.

• yeah, i just checked stopforumspam and there are 9 entries with my ip address. this is too bad.
  • "Yes I'd leave "automatically disable bad proxies on use" disabled if you're using private proxies."

I wish it was as simple as that but every time SER is restarted or updated it is enabled by default again. Hopefully Sven can change it so that it keeps the setting it was on prior to a restart/update.
  • ronron SERLists.com

Agreed. But you're making an assumption that this will stop posting from your IP. But what if those proxies actually were down because of a server outtage at the proxy provider. Would it then grab your IP?

There has to be some kind of failsafe switch that automatically prevents posting from your IP. And then that switch should be be a pain in the rear (not easy) to change from the default. In other words, you can't mistakenly uncheck it without some kind of a big warning.

• I agree and this is bullshit. I was using 20 buyproxies ip for a few days then all of a sudden i noticed it was showing p:0 at the bottom of the display yet it was still posting.

WTF! Does this mean my ip address was being used?
  • Guys...it seems to me that you are crying because you had something set up wrong. Even if it is from lack of knowledge. There are instructions on using private proxies and setting/not setting this switch. If you are not sure (even if it is set by default), you should do a search to find out. Here is one I found in less than one minute (a post I forgot I made)...

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/comment/3130#Comment_3130

Aside from this, there are some platforms that will not cause problems when posting from your IP. Proxies setttings are on a systems-wide basis - not by project. So, there may be times that it would be fine to run it this way.

That being said, it may be a nice addition to have a switch added (at the project level and even a "Master" switch system-wide) to stop processing if there are not proxies present. What do you think, Sven?
  • edited October 2012
    My buyproxies ip are still valid and working. I tested it out in Rankchecker and they are all alive and working yet after 2 days GSA was showing P:0. I assume this means its not using any ips but rather my servers ip.

Why is that? GSA should be recycling those 20 ips unless they have ceased to work. But they are working and alive so why was GSA not using them after 2 days.

Thats the problem.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited October 2012
    @mikie46 - Test your proxies so you have some good working proxies then Uncheck the option "automatically disable bad proxies on use".

This should help
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Make sure to test your proxies in GSA by using BOTH Google and Bing. They often show different results on the proxies.
  • Here is a good workround ...

i use 20 dedicated private proxies,
    i have automatically search for new proxies every 30 minutes,
    only on less then 100 active ones.
    automatically disabled bad proxies on use turned ON
    proxy timeout set to 5 ms

with this setup, your privates can be disabled, but cause you check for public ever 30 minutes, and pick only the fastest ones you never run out

at a once per day manual check, i check all again, run a manual test, and most of the disabled ones work again, the ones which still doesnt i just delete, and i make sure that my payed ones are still in the list

I agree with you that something would be nice to stop posting when you run out of proxies, but as mentioned earlier you really can t blame Sven if you dont RTFM cause its mentioned all over the place, that on private ones only you should have
    Automatically Disable turned OFF

i did a extensive review some days ago about proxyproviders, and the shared ones of buyproxies.org, are not really realiable at all, they go down pretty often and are often unresponsive, actually their shared ones, are often worse then free proxies. However their dedicated private proxies are really good, but spending money on their shared ones is a waste of money

• BuyProxies.org ARE TRANSPARENT which means your ip is visible hence - blocked. use anonymous proxies.
  • oiloil
    edited October 2012

now thats exciting i am new to this proxy thing, so TRANS means tranparent and everybody sees my real IP and it can be blacklisted?

if it is like this then whats the fu%$%$ing use of those proxies?

i just checked all my payed proxies are TRANS

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I can't find it now, but there is an excellent thread here on the different proxy types by DavidA2. Maybe run a search for it. He covers TRANS vs WEB, etc.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Transparent doesn't means they are not anonymous. Usually they are. The proxy decides what to deliver in its HEAD to the server. The only 100% anonymous thing are SOCKS proxies as they don't even know what type of protocol they are used for. 
  • i went thru that old thread, and start wondering ...  i bought from 3-5 different proxy providers here and there, and they are all TRANS, so am i doomed now?

NO, TRANS is usually annonymous.

Check your proxy in browser against this host...

http://www.anonymitytest.com/perl/prxjdg.cgi

If you don't see your IP its safe

• ronron SERLists.com

@sven, thanks for that url above. Very cool way to check on proxies.

I just wanted to follow up to add some information. If you have scrapebox, it automatically checks your proxies to see if they are anonymous. All of my buyproxies.org proxies are anonymous, and I wanted to get that out there in case people were concerned.

Since this could be an issue for people that buy proxies, I think it would be a worthwhile thing to add this check as a feature in GSA's proxy checker.

On the list but unfortunately not that easy. It requires a stable URL as above that gives back all the head data from a GET request to see if your IP was delivered with it or just the proxy IP.

Sites as the one above die to often.

• edited October 2012
    Hmmmm - - I guess this is a GREAT reason to be running HMA in the background while proxy posting -- just in case GSA is not utilizing proxies.  If proxies fail, the random US location VPS server will show as my IP address.  But I guess it's all a matter of just a setting. 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2012

@fullspeed, I think I agree with you on HMA. Since I have had that 'disable bad proxies' box unchecked (for about the last 4 weeks), I have found my IP on the spam checker only once. So there still is some type of small leakage of my IP - it is not 100% bulletproof.

I think the HMA free proxy might be a great shield if you use your own PC. It would be great to hear feedback on if how it could affect bandwidth & speed. I get a nice crisp 36 Mbps from cable which is why I haven't moved to a VPS yet.