Skip to content

Programme is hanging when removing dupes

Hey there,

Anything I can do to stop the programme from going to not responding when I try clearing duplicate URLs? 1.7million verified to run dupe checker on. The spec of the system should be good enough to handle it?

Comments

• OzzOzz
    edited August 2013
    just give it some time until its finished and it will be responding again.
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

I get that all the time. Stop ser, do the de dupe, pop off and have a smoke, return and its job done

If you aint watching it, you cant see it hang :D

• Awesome, I thought it could be this and me being an unpatient bugger, so I just left it last night, so when I check tomorrow it should be fine :)
  • OzzOzz
    edited August 2013
    no, it doesn't take a whole night unless your site lists are as big as the google index ;)

like LeeG said, stop everything, then dedupe. give it a couple of minutes and let it sort everything. this doesn't take a whole night (more like <30 minutes for most i guess) but it depends how big your list is and how many dupes it has and the specs of your machine.
  • yeah i was almost getting crazy like you randomsk1tzo but then i decided to give it some time... i stopped everything and start deduping... go check facebook, mails.. play some games... in a couple of minutes it will respond.. trust me.
  • Its a good spec, so maybe I should check now I did leave it for 5 mins, but if you think less than 30 mins than :D it should be done. If not I will post back :D
  • Its good to know that we all suffer with the impatient bug :D

• Nope it literally is just going to not responding, left it on last night as I went off to smoke :D Any suggestions chaps? Its on an i7 920, 6 gb ram, 100mb connection

Buy more cigarettes :D

Check your system resource manager and you should see ser ticking over doing its bit

• Nope it is freezing at 25% and just getting stuck.
  • I left it on all last night and came back on and its white and just saying end the process. :(

Humour me on this and it don't involve adding beer to your cigarette break :D

Try doing the deduplicates in smaller chunks, say about ten engines at a time and see what happens

Not an ideal situation, but it might be a fix to help you get them under control

I do 1 to 2 million at a time every couple of days without any problem

• Yeah its odd, I was doing that and working through them, then I realised there is so many in the list and I don't have time to do it today, it was working fine. Just for some reason I click the whole list and boom it hangs. There is 1.7million in the list. I have no idea why it is hanging :(
  • >Its good to know that we all suffer with the impatient bug
    its not a bug. i just think SER has a shitload to do when its sorting millions of lines.

'blog comments - General Blogs' is normally the biggest file. like LeeG said you are able to do all others in one chunk and in the 2nd chunk the blog comments only. maybe it isn't needed when doing it on a more regular basis like 2 times a week.
  • @Ozz, I didn;t mean a programme bug I meant a human trait lol.

Okay I wil try this tomorrow.

The fat fingers of fool being at play, you mean

We all suffer with that from time to time. Its called being human :D

• @Ozz I think your rights its the blogs. I have only ticked 5 of the blogs section and its crashing again. Maybe I should just try and do the blogs manually then delete the verified list and reinsert them dupe free?
  • Yeah trying it now. Seems odd they are dupe removing fine but just cant do the whole thing.