Skip to content

Error message: "download failed" -- when disconnected from ISP - what happens with those sites?

GSA error message: "download failed" -- when disconnected from ISP
  • what is the default behavior of GSA when I get disconnected?
  • What happens precisely to all those URLs/sites "download failed"?

- are those URLs/sites dumped as failed and thus lost forever
or
- re-processed on any future run?

Another disconnected from www related problem I noticed during my initial 3+ days of non-stop scraping

each time I got disconnected during scarping with GSA
- the small pop-up with the 2 progression bars below and 2(or3?) data lines above seem to keep working / processing scraping while diconnnected from www - only the progression bars where quiet. the above 2(or3?) lines with running data shown kept changing as if GSA was still processing scraping offline ...

Hence it may be a global issue for 3. world country users = how does GSA in all / any function handle www-disconnection by ISP or other reasons (SIM balance 0, etc ?

I am living / working since 2000 in remote corners of the world - currently Cambodia and disconnection or service down occurs multiple time daily. To bypass long time outage, I use a minimum of 3 different ISP with multiple SIM each for my 3G broadband data connection.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    "those URLs/sites dumped as failed and thus lost forever"
  • Thanks Sven for the reply

that's a bad situation to lose all while disconnected and actually may be a feature request for GSA to recognize disconnection from www and automatically PAUSE until reconnected again
  • OzzOzz
    edited July 2013
    you can pause submissions with "stop projects on no active proxies"** but it doesn't restart atm.

@Sven: i like an option to automatically restart SER once there are active proxies again.

** @hans51: if i'm not wrong than you aren't using any proxies at all, right. i don't know if possible but you could try to use your localhost as proxy somehow and test it against a "bing" every couple of minutes for example. once it can't connect to "bing" than it will stop all projects.
  • @Ozz
    the "download failed" error occurs for submissions and apparently also for site verification / account creation  when using my site list (proxy on submission DIS-abled in options to safe proxy resources) and thus no proxies needed (IMO)
    GSA just keeps running even much faster without www

and re proxies
    yes I use with option "stop projects on no active proxies"

about localhost proxy
    - I have to study that for win OS first, I am strictly Linux guy since 15 yrs for all production work and use one separate small win7 laptop strictly for GSA (before UD/AMR) and never for work.hence my win knowledge near zero.
  • OzzOzz
    edited July 2013
    if you got scrapebox at hand you can run your list with the "Alive Check" plug-in to double check if the urls are alive. sometimes the sites are just dead or download limit exceeded for the month. its also possible that your IP(-range) is banned due to spam protection or something like that.

PS: i envy you because of your linux background. a distrtibution of SER/CB in linux would be awesome i guess as the licence costs for windwos were obsolete and it would be interesting to see how this tools would perform on linux systems. but it is like it is and linux will be a niche OS for desktop PC for a while (i know thats not true for servers or other things like navigators or tv receiver for instance).
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

i like an option to automatically restart SER once there are active proxies again.

Next version has this added.

• I have no SB
    and offering free services (donation only) for dozens of millions during past 16 yrs leaves no funds for another paid service / SW

I had NO proxy problems during my initial scraping with public proxies using GSA for a full 3+ days non-stop  scraping and got from some 145'000 SE results a site list of some 65'000 - all with public proxies as provided/found by the various GSA built-in sources for public proxies

right now these minutes I am googling for more uptodate proxy lists (the original public proxis from GSA started at some 1200+ and is now down to  110

re envy abt Linux

NO need to envy me
    I switched 1998 from WIN95 to Linux for simple efficiency and stability / security reasons
    and a few years later run my original full site on 3-4 dedicated root servers - also using opensuse linux (at hetzner.de (IMO the worlds finest root server provider of course they also have VPS and quality regular site hosting) also  at the cost-level many others charge for a VPS)

While I was just a simple Linux user having a few root servers for my one site, I have no coding experience - just server config/management experience but I imagine with all the default built in devel tools in Linux (opensuse) it might be much easier to produce a SW such as GSA or CB in Linux and then make it portable to WIN than vice versa.

just keep in mind that you are NOT producing GSA for the general public using win but for it PROS/seo EXPERTS and/or web publishers = another niche which might use a much larger % Linux than average global desktop users

Considering that many professional site owners / SEO exerts might be using Linux as their primary OS or at least dual boot OS, there might be a market for Linux version of GSA ..
    up to .you

VERY easy to learn using Linux - no envy just do it, once started you never want to opt / pay for problems (win) if you can have solutions for free.