Skip to content

Is there a variable that pulls the URL with corresponding anchor text

edited September 2012 in Need Help
Searched the variables list and couldn't find anything. Essentially I'm looking to have a variable pull from my URL field.

Example: URL: http://mysite.com#keyword
                       http://mysite.com#another keyword

Article Summary: For more information about %variable goes here% check us out here.

The Result: For more information about keyword check us out here.   OR   For more information about another keyword check us out here.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    you are searching for %url% and %anchor_text% or %keyword%.
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for the response, but.......if I use %url% along with %anchor_text%, then when it prints, the anchor text and url are not going to be paired properly. You'll have <a href="www.blue-shoes-domain.com>red shoes</a> The only way this would work is if I had 1 keyword and 1 anchor text, which most people, including myself aren't doing.

The %anchor_text% variable is not located in the manual, so I am assuming it only prints the actual anchor text and not the url that goes with it.

Why don't you use <a href="%url%">%anchor_text</a> ?

%url% = one of the URLs you have added to the project

%anchor_text% = the anchor text after spinning.

• edited September 2012
    Thanks again for the response Sven, but maybe your not understanding me.

Currently I have the "URL" field like this: www.mydomain1.com#anchor text 1
                                                                www.mydomain2.com#anchor text 2
                                                                www.mydomain3.com#anchor text 3

The way you have it setup, links would get posted like this: <a href="www.mydomain1.com>anchor text 3</a>. So again, the anchor text and the URL are not paired. I stated this above, and you essentially reiterated my statement.

NOTE:  I used the %url% variable, but it only displays the URL only.
  • oiloil
    edited September 2012

franly said, why not put your urls like that, it would be the solution of your problem, caus GSA is highly customizable

www.red-1.com#{anchor red1|red anchor 1|another red anchor 1}
    www.red-2.com#{anchor red 2|red anchor 2 |another red anchor 2}
    www.blue-1.com#{anchor blue 1|blue anchor 1|another blue anchor 1}

i mean those are perfectly paired, and when you are too lazy to add it so that GSA knows whats belongs together, i dont see how Sven could fix your laziness issue

reg. the %url% variable thats exactly what the url variable should do put out the URL only,

reg. <a href="www.mydomain1.com>anchor text 3</a> - thats not true, unless it happens in same variations, you checked it the first place, to make it look more natural linking alike, but in all other cases

its  <a href="www.mydomain1.com>anchor text 1</a> or a spinnablbe version of anchor text 1

• Ok, I'm going to try to understand what the hell your talking about, cause you don't seem to comprehend the point I am making anywhere above. Try to clarify your statements a bit more please.

Let's break your idiot rant down:

franly said, why not put your urls like that, it would be the solution of your problem, caus GSA is highly customizable

www.red-1.com#{anchor red1|red anchor 1|another red anchor 1}
    www.red-2.com#{anchor
    red 2|red anchor 2 |another red anchor 2}
    www.blue-1.com#{anchor blue 1|blue anchor 1|another blue anchor 1}

I already stated above....that is how I have my urls setup within the URL field. Please read. I'm not repeating myself here. If I wanted to have my anchor text spun like you did above, I would have done so. That's obvious!

i mean those are perfectly paired, and when you are too lazy to add
    it so that GSA knows whats belongs together, i dont see how Sven could
    fix your laziness issue

reg. the %url% variable thats exactly what the url variable should do put out the URL only,

Yep, and that is exactly how I already have my urls in the url field dumbass!! If you could read and comprehend english, you would already know that. This statement has nothing to do with laziness but your lack of understanding and comprehension. As for your 2nd sentence, I already stated above, yet again, that I am aware that the %url% variable prints out the exact url.

reg. <a href="www.mydomain1.com>anchor text 3</a> - thats
    not true, unless it happens in same variations, you checked it the
    first place, to make it look more natural linking alike, but in all
    other cases

its  <a href="www.mydomain1.com>anchor text 1</a> or a spinnablbe version of anchor text 1

LOL, these statements barely make sense compared to what was stated above. I was speaking about what the variables would output with the included urls/anchor text within the URL field above you. I'm not going to re-explain it cause your comprehension is not adequate enough to understand, as it is clearly explained above for you already. If I have <a href="%url%">%anchor_text</a> input into a "article summary" or other field with the way I have the url field setup, then the anchor text will be paired with the WRONG url.

Oil- Don't comment on my thread for your insults hold no barring and just make you look like a complete idiot, since you lack the comprehension to both form complete statements  and understand the explanation stated above.

I currently have my article summary links like so: {<a href="link.com">link1</a>|<a href="link2.com">link2</a>|<a href="link3.com">link3</a>} which works, but GSA has variables for almost all it's fields so why not a variable that would hold the way our url fields located above are setup (everyone I know sets them up this way)? If needed, I can place this in the feature request.

• Here is how I wold pair urls with anchor text. I made a screencast for you just so there is no confusion.

http://screencast.com/t/ynetf3R5v

Slow down ALL!

The %anchor_text% variable is replaced with the anchor from the URL it was choosing on submission. If you didn't have a anchor text with your URL defined, only than it is using a anchor text from the box. So for me it is exactly the way it should work.

• Thank you for the appropriate answers Sven and orbital. I see when using the %anchor_text% variable and clicking the "Test" button, the anchor text is printed. So I am assuming that the anchor text will be linked once submitted, correct?
    yes, the things in TEST are the same as when submitting in real. Though sometimes I forget to insert variables there if I add some new to use but Im sure I covered all now.
  • so if i have 5 urls paired with anchored text and i use two %url% tags in body description will be get two different urls from 5 or I will get one url out of 5 but with two different anchor text?

eg URL www.url1.com#{anchor1|anchor1-1}
                www.url2.com#{anchor2|anchor2-1} and so on..

IN body text if i use <a href="%url%">%anchor_text%</a>  twice...will I get two different urls with corresponding anchors or will I get url1 twice with two different corresponding achors?

I checked in 'test' but what I get is one url repeated twice with two different achors from its set..how can I get two different urls? what tag should I use so that I get two different urls
    %url% is fixed for that particular site. This variable as well as any other is getting one value assigned.
  • so how can I get two different urls in article by using tags? Is there any tag that we can use multiple times in body description that will pull two different url sets from url fields?
    Not possible now. You have to use fixed URLs than.
  • @Sven- I had the time today to actually test out the %anchor_text% variable. As you stated before (mentioned above after my last response), the anchor text is suppose to be linked, but I found out today that it is not. Can you please create a variable that will pull anchor text links from the url field?

This was requested when I initially started this thread. In case you still don't understand what I am requesting....I created an illustration below of what is currently going on. If there was any confusion before, it should be crystal clear now.

@grafx77, and thats how it is working. If the anchor text is defined in the url, it is using that instead of the anchor text you define in the projects field. However it is also overwritten if you use secondary anchors, generic anchor and so on. 
    Oh and you might want to censor your image more as it
    still
    shows the actual url.
  • 1. Obviously that's how the anchor text variable works. We can both see that. The original purpose of this thread was to ask you if you could create a variable that created links like this: my keyword here from the way we have our urls setup in the "url" field. You stated above that the %anchor_text% variable did that, and I come to find out today that it doesn't. I even pointed this out in my last response.

You have a variable to pull almost anything in SER, yet you don't have one to pull from the most important field in the entire program......the "url field" with corresponding anchor text inside. It just doesn't make sense to me why you don't understand this.

2. Thanks, corrected.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What about if you used this:
    <a href=%url%>%anchor_text%</a>? Surely that will achieve what you want?
    Sorry I just don't get the whole thing. I explained how the anchor_text variable is set and you ask why it is not set a way you want. I might not be able to follow you but I don't see what you are asking that the program should do differently. Maybe someone else can explain it to me/you.
  • OzzOzz
    edited October 2012
    @grafx77: Did you have "use keywords as anchor text" checked? If yes, than uncheck that to make use of the "anchor text". 
  • @Globalgoogler- yeah, that had been explained above, but the problem is that if you have more than 1 url and anchor text, then they don't match up. Example: keyword1 > url 3.
    We need a variable that will pull the url with corresponding anchor text. Right now they are just pulled at random which is not useful if you have multiple urls and anchor text.

@Sven- I explained everything to you 3-4 different times and ways. I really cannot be any more clear. I hope maybe someone can explain this to you in a way you will understand. The %anchor_text% variable has is not linked, thus making it unacceptable, which was explained 3 times as well.

As I explained to GlobalGoogler, you cannot use such methods as <a href=%url%>%anchor_text%</a> cause it pulls un-matching keywords to the urls. Example explained above.

The url field within SER looks like this >> mywebsite1.com#anchortext1
                                                                 mywebsite2.com#anchortext2

So when links are submitted by SER, they obviously look like this >> anchortext1

BUT when anyone wants to submit to use anchor text links in article summaries, article bodys, etc, they have to manually place them. There is no variable that will pull from the url field as explained above, that includes the anchor text LINKED with the URL. You can use <a href=%url%>%anchor_text%</a> but the anchor text/urls will NOT MATCH.

Thankfully I can do this manually, but you have sooo many %variables% within SER, a LINKED anchor text variable only makes sense.

@Ozz - no it's never been checked since it's not needed. The "url field" is setup like this >> mywebsite.com#myanchortext so checking the tickbox is irrelevant.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    It seems that the gist of what you want is multiple URL's in an article with different anchor texts? 

What's the reasoning behind this? Surely it's best to just have 1 URL to maximise the number of sites that will accept the article?

Also - as a I side note, if you have multiple URL's note that the generic anchor ratios are per project and not per URL's so you might get some skewed figures if you have enabled this. 
  • If you are wanting what GlobalGoogler describes (same link with different anchor text), you should reconsider this. It has been a while, but I remember reading that Google basically ignores additional links to the same URL on the same page. It takes the first one and forgets about the rest. So these additional links would be worthless anyway.
  • i doubt grafx77 is happy when i post in this thread again, for my rather low english language knowledge, however i have on project running, which use the methods we described here over and over again, its a project of 150+ subdomains, which naturally need a different anchor like the main keyword

so i ran over 1000+ verfied url, and was assuming there is a bug there since it doesnt seem to work for grafx77 - and besides some url generic text which is selected in the first place all urls/ posts act like they should do, and take the anchor text which is locked to the url for posting

what i dont have in this project i do NOT have any general anchor text in the main field, and use keyword as anchor text is unchecked as well

• @global- NO....that is not at all what I am speaking about above. I'm not really too sure how you came to that conclusion, but I'm a bit winded now on this topic since I have explained it 4-5 different times and VERY clearly I might add. I just need a simple variable that will pull anchor text that is linked, according to the settings I have both typed out above and the screenshots I have placed. It really isn't that hard to understand. I promise ;-)

For the 6th time, %variable% = linked anchor text, which is pulling from url field = mydomain#myanchor format.

@David - yeah he was off the marker. That isn't what I'm asking for. Read all above.

@Oil- sorry bud, but I honestly can't make much sense of what your explaining and it doesn't seem to touch on the topic either.
  • grafx77

, I was just searching the forum to do just the same thing as you. As you described above, I have 4-5 different URLs entered in the "URL" field, and they are all paired with their respective anchor text.

e.g.:
    www.url1.com#{anchor1|anchor1-1}
    www.url2.com#{anchor2|anchor2-1}
    www.url3.com#{anchor3|anchor3-1}
    www.url4.com#{anchor4|anchor2-1}

So have you found a way to insert a variable in the article content field, so that it will pulls randomly any url and their respective anchor text assigned.

• Nope....seems as if Sven couldn't figure out what I was talking about,which was pretty simple to understand. I just gave up and am using spun anchor text/URLs within my articles summaries, etc, etc.

Example: {<a href="www.redwidgets.com">red widgets</a>|<a href="www.bluewidgets.com">blue widgets</a>}
  • btw, can i use nested spins there as well?

www.url1.com#{{adjective|adjective2} anchor1|anchor1-1}

• yeah...but not how you have it setup. Not sure why you have the "#" in there, as that is only used for the url field.

You can use nested spins within any "content" field in SER