Skip to content

How to keep number of threads high?

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
I have 20 active projects and 200 threads yet the number of active threads in the bottom left varies between 6 and 30. As soon as I start a new project to Active, the thread number jumps to 200. For about 2 minutes, then drops off. How do you keep the number of threads around 200?

Comments

• Have you got any "junk" campaigns or are they all high quality?
  • I had the same thing but it was fixed automatically.

I'd advise not to pay much attention to it if you're having a good LPM. I could remember the days when I got 50 LPM and despite of my setting thread count to 300, it only used to have 30-50 active threads and now despite of 300 constant threads, I'm having an LPM of around 28.

I wouldn't worry much if you get a good LPM.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    They are all high-ish quality. I set filters for T1 and T2 for (some cases) specific countries, block some domains/KWs and have 10-20 search engines selected.

By comparsion If I setup a list based project then threads and LpM go through the roof. Only, I don't want to rely on lists too much.
    My LpM for these campaigns is about 3 btw. Which is quite low.

I am selecting SN, Wiki, Articles and web2.0
  • Ah, filters. I just don't use them to keep the profile more natural. Just use some of the malware domain filters. I use Ron's diagram.

To be honest, why worry and set filters on T1/T2/T3 as they're all contextual and higher quality sites like web 2.0s, articles and wikis?

I've mentioned today in the other thread about my success only in 6 days of creating a niche website using no filters.

Give a try.

Also, what is your LPM if you let SER scrape for junk/lower tiers? Is it the same around 3 or so?
  • most propably you aren't able to feed your projects with enough target urls either by built in scraping or import URLs to your projects.
  • I forgot to add, I also load 100K keywords on all projects, be it any tier. I don't care neither scared of Google, lol.
    OK I will remove all filters and try that.

@Ozz do you mean scrape URL tagrets with Scrapebox? Is this necessary? I have just been adding 1k-3k KWs and letting SER do the scraping of URLs.
    edited July 2013
    @Pratik as I understand it, SER only uses KW for BC and Trackbacks. You don't appear to be using either?
  • @spunko2010

SER uses them for blog comments, forums, trackbacks and pingbacks. My kitchen sinks usually includes all four so those keywords play a major role.

When I in the start, being newbie to SER in June, used only 3K or so keywords related to my niche, I was around an LPM of 4-5.
  • OzzOzz
    edited July 2013
    >do you mean scrape URL tagrets with Scrapebox? Is this necessary?
    no, not really but can speed things up though. on the other hand its less automation and therefore more work for most

>I have just been adding 1k-3k KWs and letting SER do the scraping of URLs. 
    make sure to have some diversification in your keyword selection especially for your lower tier projects. it doesn't make sense to search for "best product" and "very best product" which just give you the same results. i recommend to search for some dictionary/thesaurus lists if you like to create your own keyword list instead of using the 100k list which is used by everyone these days. that 100k list may work, i dunno as i've never used it, but i like to create such things on my own with a little bit of thought in it.

>as I understand it, SER only uses KW for BC and Trackbacks.
    one of the myth people doesn't seem to understand as i read that again and again. its true that for those platforms keyword are used EVERY TIME. most other platforms are just using keyword FROM TIME TO TIME like 1/10 time IIRC.

just check the engine files:
    add keyword to search=0 <= never
    add keyword to search=1 <= every time
    add keyword to search=2 <= sometimes
    @pratik so you are using 100k KW list for all tiers? or just kitchen sink ones?

I have had some great success with SER, I am in number 3 for several KWs, just things seem to have slowed down in past few weeks.
  • You need more search terms @spunko2010.  I think you're only pointing contextual links at your MS, so you should post pretty much anywhere you can where it will allow a contextual link and you'll find more sites by having a huge kw list.

It's not difficult using Scrapebox to build a 50k lists within an hour or so - I've got a 200k list I've used for some of my campaigns.
  • @spunko2010 Just everywhere! Let SER find the heck out of the search engines. :D

Good progress it seems. How many ES your keywords have if you don't mind me asking? You can ignore this if you don't want to share it, that's fine.

I scraped about 50K site lists (for all footprints though) in around 45 minutes or so. Curious if you scraped for footprints of all engines or just some?

How long do you think they're able to feed to SER?

Thank you.
  • @Pratik was only scraping KW and it might have taken longer or a lot less, I can't remember :D

1 hour seemed like a good arbitrary time :D

@davbel do you mean scrape a 50k list of relevant keywords, or anything at all?

I usually scrape 2-3k via Scrapebox of relevant KWs. Scrapebox usually scrapes about 5k KWs on a level 2 scrape but then once I import them in to SER there are so many duplicates it drops down to 2k. No idea how you get 50k relevant KWs via scrapebox in an hour, it would take me at least 12 hours. Will check again.
    @pratik sorry I dont know what ES keywords are.
  • @spunko2010 Exact searches. :)
  • @spunko2010 you don't need relevant KWs as you are only looking for targets where you can post content with a contextual link.

Once you've created the page, because it contains your content that is relevant to your niche, the link you've created within that page is then niche specific.

@pratik I haven't counted but I would say 15 KWs out of about 30 I've used SER for are now inside top 5.
  • @spunko2010

I meant what are exact global search (numbers) for your main ranking keyword. Perhaps, I wasn't clear.

Regards.
    @Pratik no idea. How do people get that information, do it manually?
    edited July 2013
    @davbel so you are saying I can use the 100k generic KW list ?

My threads are much higher now that I've turned off filters. Just hoping the quality of links doesnt sink....  LpM is about 6 now.
  • @spunko2010

Google Adwords Keyword Researcher Tool.
  • @spunko2010 you could if you wanted, but you'd be better scraping your list as it won't be as spammed
    edited July 2013
    OK just an update. Added 10-20k KWs per tier and now averaging 30LpM and around 100-150 threads. Still not constantly at my maximum number of threads (220) however is this normal to be lower?  Will making it 100k KWs make a difference?
  • @spunko2010 how many projects are you running?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Great post! I have had a similar issue with this, and looking to try these ideas when I have a moment. 

@davbel - that list of 200k. Do you load it as a single .txt file or is it broken into 200 .txt files as someone suggested a while ago? Did you notice a difference?
    edited July 2013
    @davbel anywhere between 20 and 50 at a time

Edit: to clarify this is tiers not projects as such. So if I have T2 and T3 enabled but not T1 this counts as 2.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited July 2013
    @spunko2010 why not load up a test project with the 100k list and see what happens? Doesn't even have to be one of your sites....

Also, are you using SER on a VPS or at home / in an office.  What's the connection speed?

@AlexR single text file.  I don't think it would make much of a diff with my set up as my home server CPU and memory rarely goes above 50%