Skip to content

What firewalls do you use? Security etc

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
Hi all, I have been using Berman hosting and up popped a message saying I had been infected with a worm. Since then my server has been slow, it said I removed it but I am not sure. I only use this server for GSA stuff... so it is safe assumption that the software visited an infected site I guess. Apart from the standard Windows Firewall, what other stuff is recommended to enable/install for better security?

Comments

• I do all windows update and use avast with network agent and mail agent disabled, i never had a worm or virus ever.
  • I use Kaspersky Internet Security on my GSA install and all is ok
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    OK, will try Avast thanks...
  • are you sure that you didn't open a malicious site in your browser on your VPS or used another submitting tool which isn't socket based or  something like that?

because according to @Sven it is not possible to get viruses on your machine if your are only using GSA products.

another possibility is that you were attacked directly on your VPS and the attacker used the IP range of Berman for instance to find possible targets.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    The only way you could get infected is when you opened one of the URLs from GSA SER in your browser and they had been infected. GSA SER itself is not able to infect your PC.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, I only opened handful of links, maybe 10 or so. Literally on setting up new server I opened IE, downloaded firefox, downloaded GSA stuff and that was it.

Maybe just something else like unsecure firewall from mass infection of IP ranges etc. And windows update had over 800MB of stuff to download as I never ran it before :S