Skip to content

Is Penguin Released

Comments

• spunko2010 i was building links only contextual and some high pr forum and social bookmarking daily.
    article spun from WAC and KM.
    this is big hit for me.
  • spunko, nah those sites ranked for some months, so can't see links from the 10 days having anything to do with it.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited June 2013
    So far nothing has changed for me except for one ecom site, which is actually the one I've been the most careful with!!

• To be honest, the update make no sense here either. Those that continue to rank are those I've spammed the most, and those that tanked... I was as careful as one can be with GSA and KM :)
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited June 2013
    @claus10 what I meant was, over the past 10 days Google has been asking people to use spam report for sites that are ranking due to spam, if those sites linking to the spam are now on a blacklist then maybe that is why you got hit, if they devalued them all...

@baba I am sorry to hear that. But I was there 10 days ago and it is possible (so far) to get the ranks back. it just sets you back 1-2 months.... I dont think Penguin 2.0 is a penalty only devaluation.
  • @spunko2010 yeah ok - makes sense, but then the rest of my sites should burn as well, since they are all using the same recipe. Perhaps they will burn soon who knows
    :(|)
    @claus10 I don't think Google are consistent in each website. Hence why some spam is still ranking, and some useless 'authority' sites appear where they shouldnt.
  • claus10 Did you use indexification on your tier one? Can you explain further or give more details?
  • I use indexification on all my sites. Some have tanked and some have improved, can't really see any conclusive evidence that their service is responsible.
    @velocity were you doing the 'normal' tiered linking for all your sites? anything noticeable between the ones that have dropped and those that didn't, no matter how trivial it might seem??
  • ronron SERLists.com

Had a web 2.0 blown out of the water last night lol. Thankfully it was a smaller contributor. And I am grateful that it was a quick and decisive death, and not a slow death by 1000 cuts =))

I think it is far wiser to have your own domains. I'm done experimenting with 2.0's.

• I'm going to leave the ecom site that got burned a few more weeks and see what happens, but I think I'm going to end up starting again.

The only difference between that site and my others is that it is clearly ecommerce and we spend on adwords.

Other sites have similar SER campaigns and are holding up, others have been spammed to f**k and are also still doing well, but for what ever reason Google just hates that site, which is surprising as that is my whitest of whitest sites...
  • i had another web 2.0 blow out of the water as well.  but these are all 1 pagers that i used to be able to rank veryquickly.
  • jsut curous has anyone seem a 1 pager web 2.0 that is being ranked on page #1 still?  i'm looking through my niches the first page dominated by own domains.
  • Still noticing a bunch of wordpress.com and blogspot.com pages on top 100. Most of them have no links (according to ahrefs.com). You know, those pages with weird character like %$ Sale [Product Name], just to make the title unique. Very spammy pages. Those are working really well since Penguin 1.0 and obviously still working till now.
  • @Spunko2010 I am waiting a bit for everything to settle before I do a full analysis. As you have seen Google are still messing about right now, if you remember Penguin 1 it took a few weeks before it was worth trying to see what was going on. At a quick glance it seems some of my older sites got hit the worst, this maybe because they have a lot more links over the time. I did also notice some of my newer spam projects escaped unharmed!
  • @ ranknow yes I used indexification.com on them.

Also I found out the sites did NOT have hidden whois.... It was a JV. Lesson learned....
  • @sonic81 my Spam web 2.0 still alive. Stopped link building after 7 days, and that's 2 month ago. Probably the most brute spampage I ever did. Even the onpage content is spun. no explanation for that..
    @Startrip can you share what types of spam you did here? And how many per day verified/submitted?
  • Wrote it down somewhere, see latest postings. I'm on my mobile
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @davbel - "whitest of whitest sites... " - I hear you! I've got a bunch of them not ranking. Good content, great layout, usability, everything that makes a good site...but no love on them. Complete mystery!
  • edited June 2013
    I also got hit recently in one of my sites, big time. Managed to stay under the radar with it since penguin went out, but now 14 KWs got kicked out of SERPs. I use multi tiered white hat project and couple of web 2.0 that I send black hat comments to them.
    More then that, I've checked the verified URLs that SER generated for me, and a bit less than 50% of them were actually good links, other had error 404, 406 etc. Does that has something to do with that?
  • edited June 2013
    google made me into a anti-capitalist

websites that where around before google have been virtually deleted from the internet << they get some traffic from advertorials<<< but they are against google rules because the only advertising that should be don e on the internet is on google...

Old websites with big amounts of content are being penalized because there content will be found by scrapers and posted else where<<< google fault for letting the scrapers find the website.... google fault that these old websites get spammy WHOIS and otheR bad automated links...

Why aint the government doing something?..... So if even established websites are going. and soon the only websites people will be able to find are amazon and ebay. in a sense you either pay for adwords or get deleted from the internet that googles aim.

But it goes to show that automated tools like gsa ser  are the only way now.
  • Anyone else get blown to position 250-350 from first page?

If anyone has had a similar experience to me I was wondering if any of your websites have returned?

It looks like a Google Dance at first glance, but then I've read so much about other people disappearing on the same date that I think it can't be a coincidence now. Oddly Google bot is all over my websites like everyday...

Anyone seen similar?
    edited June 2013
    I was hit on May 20th, lost most ranks, slowly I am recovering. Some KWs just dont seem to recover at all though.

My problem KW i mentioned above is now sitting in position 12. It's gone from 3 > 9 > 11 > 30 > 38 > 12 in 2 weeks.

Just remember that it's a link devaluation not a penalty, so it's possible to get it back presumably.

@content32 you are assuming that Google checks every single website and webpage they crawl for unique content. When they say unique content, they probably don't mean stuff being rehashed. They know that good content is rewritten, lifted, blogged, tweeted etc and like with tiers I doubt they verify each blog post or article for uniqueness. Too much processing would be involved. When Fatt Cutts drones on about unqiue quality content I think he means well-written things that people use.  If a new website appears with very few IBL and no authority then maybe they check that for uniqueness, it would make sense. But I doubt they penlize older sites for not having unique content - after all it was created first.
    ALso you guys seeng rank drops, have you used Disavow tool at all?
  • I have not used the Disavow tool. In my experience Google has never helped me, whether I have done a white hat website or a blackhat website. Never trust Google :P
  • i am in a similar situation as @spunko2010 was hit on may 20 1 of my moneysites danced like that and now is in positon #12....
  • Same here. I have 2 keywords recovered and they are dancing between page 2/3 in Google. All the rest keywords are completely gone!.

I went back to Magic Submitter and my old high quality web 2.0 strategy then I will blast them with SER on tier2.

Also I will try doing some social signals as much as I can. Hopefully this will help recovering the keywords.
    edited June 2013
    Guys my ranks are recovering now. Yesterday was a good day for traffic, hasn't been that high for about 10 days.

I know how it feels to lose your ranks but it does appear at least in my case you can get them back. I reckon what's happening is, as I said before, Google is devaluing all the sh*t loads of domains that people have reported in the past few weeks (either through Disavow tool or Penguin 2.0 spam report). Hopefully they won't make it a regular occurence, imagine if they did this every day :S