Skip to content

Macro Query (Capitalise & Exclude Generic Anchors)

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited April 2013 in Feature Requests
I want to use macros to make each project use unique content and the best way to do this is to use a macro. I also am a trying to keep up the quality of submissions that the tool is producing. 

I would love to use a macro in website title and website description fields as well as other contexts. 

For example: 
Title: Detailed Analysis on %anchor_text%
Description: An in depth review on %anchor_text% as well as on %anchor_text%. 

There are many many other uses, the above is just an example.

These are the issues.
1) When used in website titles or article titles, many times the variable it pulls is lower case. It would be great if could prefix the macro with a "#CapCase" macro or "#LowCase" lowercase macro. 
This would allow us to use the macros correctly in so many more circumstances. With #CapCase you could use it in so many titles to create readable titles with project specific anchor text. 

2) Option to prefix the macro so it doesn't use a generic anchor. e.g. "#NoGen". This again, will open up the use of this macro tremendously. Currently it can't be used in titles or descriptions or article body, or anything with a proper sentence since many times its saying "click here" and it's not appropriate. 

e.g 
Title: Detailed Analysis on Click Here
Description: An in depth review on Click Here as well as on Sport. 

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? 

Is this even possible? 

Comments

• OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    1) it would be easier if the scripts were modified to...

[Website_title]
    capitalize words=1
  • +1 great idea. One way around the generic anchor problem is to set up a project with just the keywords you are targeting and let it run.
    @Ozz is this engine mod?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ozz - having the capitalise would be neat since you could also use it in article titles...and H2 article headings.
  • OzzOzz
    edited April 2013
    i don't know what you mean exactly with "engine mod", but this is a simple command that is used for article titles and capitalize each word. maybe Sven will add this for website titles as well.

[Website_title] is used in:

Aardvark Topsites.ini
    BuddyMarks.com.ini
    cpDynaLinks.ini
    delicious.com.ini
    diigo.com.ini
    Directory97 PRO.ini
    DirectoryScript.ini
    Drigg.ini
    DZOIC Handshakes.ini
    E-Blah.ini
    eSyndiCat.ini
    ExpressionEngine.ini
    flixya.com.ini
    Fractalum.ini
    Freeglobes.ini
    GetBoo.ini
    Hotaru CMS.ini
    HubDir.ini
    ideamarketers.com.ini
    iLinking.org.ini
    IndexScript.ini
    indexU.ini
    jetdonkey.com.ini
    kohany.ini
    Link Bid Script.ini
    LINKER.ini
    Meneame.ini
    Moje.ini
    MyPHPAnnuaire.ini
    Open Classifieds.ini
    Open Link Directory.ini
    Otwarty.pl Mini.ini
    Oxwall.ini
    Particle Links.ini
    php Link Directory.ini
    php Link Directory-Login.ini
    PHP Link manager.ini
    PHP Weby.ini
    PHPBookmark.ini
    PHPDug.ini
    phpLinks.ini
    Pligg.ini
    Public Bookmark.ini
    qlWebDS Pro.ini
    Scuttle.ini
    SEOKatalog.ini
    Site Sift.ini
    SMF.ini
    Unesourisetmoi.ini
    Unknown Directory 2.ini
    Unknown Directory 3.ini
    Unknown Directory 4.ini
    Unknown Polish Directory.ini
    url.org.ini
    Utilisable.ini
    Viral Socializer Script.ini
    VLinks.ini
    WebMini.ini
    Wordpress Directory.ini
    XZero Classified.ini
  • the macros could be added as well though ;)
    i just wanted to give a simple workaround as many things can be done with the SER script language when you are creative and got some knowledge about it.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks Ozz.
  • @Ozz this seems very powerful and it's the next level for me when I have some free time next week. I know you have posted a lot of useful scripting threads and look forward to delving into this. SER amazes me every day with its limitless possibilities and great forum.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    There should also be option to exclude domain use on anchor_text macro, so we can use anchor macro in titles and article body.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    edited April 2013
    @sven - would these 3 tweaks to existing macros be possible? 

1) When used in website titles or article titles, many times the variable it pulls is lower case. It would be great if could prefix the macro with a "#CapCase" macro or "#LowCase" lowercase macro. 
    This would allow us to use the macros correctly in so many more circumstances. With #CapCase you could use it in so many titles to create readable titles with project specific anchor text. 

2) Option to prefix the macro so it doesn't use a generic anchor. e.g. "#NoGen". This again, will open up the use of this macro tremendously. Currently it can't be used in titles or descriptions or article body, or anything with a proper sentence since many times its saying "click here" and it's not appropriate. 

3) Option to prefix the macro so it doesn't use a domain anchor. e.g. "#NoDomain"

This way we can use macros nicely in titles & descriptions:
    Title: Detailed Analysis on %anchor_text% as well as %anchor_text% and %anchor_text%

Currently it sometimes reads:
    TITLE:
    Detailed Analysis on Click Here as well as http://site.com/page1/page.com and %for more reading%

If we use macros it will read perfectly! :-)
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Sorry but no, this will not work the way you want it without extra parsing steps and a slow down. I am not willing to add this sorry.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - I understand! I'm no programmer and think SER should be kept as fast as possible. 

1) Is there any workaround that you can think of that I can use? 
    2) If I use %random_sanchor_text% as a macro in titles, does it ever use the domain or the generic? 
    (I would assume not, since when it uses secondary anchor, it won't combine the use of secondary anchor with generic or domain)

Maybe this is a workaround and I just keep this file with capitalised secondary anchors?

1) not now sorry

2) no it is only using that real anchor here

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    For those reading this thread the best workaround is to use the %random_sanchor_text% macro and ensure that your secondary anchors are capitalised. This solves the capitalisation issue, and the generic anchor text issue and the domain issue. 

@sven - can you foresee a problem with this solution before I roll it out to many projects? 
    No, sounds good to me.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks! Looks like a plan!