Skip to content

Moving A Site To A New Domain

Wondering best way to do this.

I'd like to leave the root index page on the new .com domain, but leave the rest of the site on the .info domain for now.

Is this bad for SEO, necessarily?

The .com has redirected to the .info for a few years now.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    I consider .info a spam tld ... That has not such a good reputation as a .com one. But I can not really underline my opinion with facts here.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    As Sven said, there are many rumors about TLD's holding more weight than others but my view on this would be that the only TLD's that would potentially offer more weight would be the ones that require official docs to complete registrations, for example, .gov , .edu , .org etc.

I've personally not noticed much difference in ranking performance for .com/.co.uk/.top/.uk/.info although this could effect CTR from the SERPs by the end-user.

Splitting any domain into two separate domains would impact rankings unless you create an alias and have the second domain using the same name server as the main domain itself and even then, I've not needed to do this or tried to, I still think Google will treat both domains as individuals when ranking.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited December 2020
    "Splitting any domain into two separate domains would impact rankings unless you create an alias and have the second domain using the same name server as the main domain itself and even then, I've not needed to do this or tried to, I still think Google will treat both domains as individuals when ranking. " -Tim89
    Hmm...As I've had it set up, for the last two or three years, it's been on the .info domain, with a full set of .com redirects pointing to the actual .info domain pages.
    SO: webiste.com redirects to website.info
          website.com/section1 redirects to section1.website.info, etc.
    This was in preparation fora full move to the .com. Was this best practice? because I've been doing this, wouldn't Goog see this as ONE "site?"

I didn't want to set up another set of subdomians on the .com, just because it's a pain if I want to move to a new server temporarily,  but I see their usefulness, as I can host different subs on different servers and more, so maybe I've changed my mind?  Have to really think about this one. I still need the .info subdomains either way, as they're heavily linked to.
    Plus, each sub has a lot of pages for each section of the site. Maybe get rid of some of the subs that are useless and ended up being a single page only, just put them on the main .com?

"I consider .info a spam tld" -Sven
    Hmm...I see it as spam also, TBH. I bought these ages ago! I think almost all are gone that i had years ago but this one domain, maybe? I wonder if non-SEO pplz think of it as spam, and wonder if Google sees it as lesser, as we do?
    I like to try doing everything having semantic sensibility. Like organize sections of pages of different subdomains. As far as a TLD, it *IS* a commerce site, tho chock-full of useful info...Is it an informational site? Or a commerce site?
    Hmm....I *used to* think if I had tons of unqiue info on there, it *SHOULD* be a .info. Now not so sure...and, just so that .info made sense, I had the actual cart on a different domain altogether. Yes; very strange way to do things...looking back