Skip to content

What is "always use key words to find target sites"

edited February 2013 in Need Help
Can someone explain this setting:

In a project the Options setting next to the Data settings there is right under choose search engines a checkbox that says
"always use keywords to find target sites"

What does checking this do as opposed to leaving it unchecked. I assumed the default behavior of GSA is to use keywords  + footprint to find targets? Is that not the behavior. What are the advantages of checking this and when would one want to check this?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

On the left side you see a legend that shows how engines use your keyword to locate targets. Dark gray engines use your keywords always. The light one use it rarely and the yellow engines don't use it at all. Now if you check that option, all will use your keyword. But this is not very clever for most engines as some use footprints like "Submit Article" "Powered by XYZ" inurl:"/submit.php".

This means it is searching for a direct result of a submission page for the article. And you would not find your keyword there in most cases.

• Thanks for explaining that Sven, I guess then it is better to leave this unchecked.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - what if you disabled the brackets in the keywords options? Surely this will still give you a broad match which will return results since Google places an AND in the space?
    Naw thats still the same.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven -

1)  so the new feature "use quotes in se query=0" has little value if it does the same? Or will this give more results? 
    2) When do you advise to use "always use keywords" feature?

1) It will give more results for sure but they are than less specific in my eyes.

2) Personally I don't advise this to use at all. I have only added it since a lot people requested it all the time.

• just to clarify

"put keyword in quotes when used in search queries" recommended to be [unchecked]?
  • you can research and decide that by yourself.

go to google, add random footprints from the SER engines and put keywords once in quotes and the other time without

"footprint" "keword"
    "footprint" keyword