Skip to content

GSA SER freezes, crushes and eats up all dedi CPU

OwlOwl
edited February 2013 in Bugs
Similar to this thread https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/2009, starting from the version 5.05 or so the program all of a sudden started to consume INSANE amounts of cpu, im talking 100% of xeon dedi on measly 200 threads, while before it was in around 50% on 600, working nicely. Worse even, after it rapes all the resources, it freezes never to wake up. Same happens on vps (a solid one).

Its the same servers and the same project settings as before, these new versions is all that changed. Old 4.99 still works fine on my home machine.

Sven, can you please help?
If to send you the project backup or smth, whats the support email?

Thank you in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• Had something similar a few weeks back. What fixed it for me was duplicating my old projects and deleting the originals. I guess they must of gotten pretty massive or something.
  • @Owl - I'm having the same problem.  Everything was fine until yesterday, now I can't get it to run more than a couple minutes before it freezes and I have to kill the task.  Running on a VPS.  Not sure what's going on
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

Are you guys also running seo indexer?

Since killing tat, Im back to running on nitro again

• I just tried it without that, thinking that might be the difference too, but... unfortunately, nope. It still crashed on me.

Is there a way to revert to an older version of SER to see it that makes a difference?
  • Previous version called search engine ranker old can be found in the SER folder in program files.
  • thanks @Brumnick, I'll give that a try
  • :(

I tried the previous version of SER first, then SER and CB, but still no luck.  It did run a little bit longer with both older versions, but it still froze after about 3 minutes instead of just one.  Man, this is weird and frustrating...
    Are you guys running it in scheduler mode or normal mode?

Humor me and try it in scheduler mode, if it gets running until the problem is sorted, some links are better than no links.

Thats how I run ser and Im pushing a very good LpM rate at the moment

• Will do, and I'll let you know in a bit if it's still going.  At this rate, it shouldn't take long to see if there is an improvement.

I guess this is a good time for me to learn more about the scheduler mode too, eh? lol
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    One thing that I've done is to decrease the threads until it stops crashing.  I don't know why, but when I was running 700 threads, I would get frequent crashing...I've dropped it by 50 until I found that 200 stopped all of my crashes.
  • Cheers Lee!  :-c

Not only is it running again, but my LpM is through the roof (well, through *my* roof...)  I'm not getting a bajillion LpM like you, but I'm now pushing 45 and climbing, which is about 10x better than what I was getting before.  (note to self: I really need to go back and read that thread of yours that has the LpM tips...)

In any case, not only am I getting "some links better than no links", I'm getting a BUNCH more, so again, CHEERS! :)
  • AArrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!   I spoke too soon! lol

As soon as I posted the note above, I went back and it crashed.  Now it crashes within about 20 seconds after I restart it!  I even lowered my thread count to 100 as @Brandon suggested (from 150)... 

Man, what a bummer

Im trying to track down a crash that happens every 5 hours

Tried running an older trusty version over night and the same crash

To make it worse, had the pop up send god an error report box appear and just clicked continue using application. Then bang, it was down

• Mine is crashing pretty frequently as well.   Around every 4-5 hours or so.  I'm running scheduler with 20 projects and switching every 30 mins.  

It's weird,  I try to reproduce the crash and nothing.  Than I give up on trying to reproduce it and it crashes lol. 

Same time, each time, something like

Waiting for threads to finish

Importing x/x from sitelist

Waiting for threads to finish

Importing x/x from sitelist

And just sits there

In the resource monitor, shows 270 threads and zero cpu

• I have the same issue with version 5.09
    After 2-3 hours (maximum) SER just stops.
    I think something is wrong with the importing, because from what I saw, it stops at the importing from sitelist.
    Also 5.09 is a lot slower for me, LpM is around 50-60.

Went back to an older version (5.05) which seems to be working well, til now at least.
    Back to 120-150 LpM, hopefully won't see crashes soon :D

Btw: Scheduler with 5 projects and switching every 30 minutes.
  • ronron SERLists.com

It has to be something to do with site lists or importing.

The reason I say that is because I do neither, and SER is hauling ass like I have never seen - like it's pants are on fire. I haven't been below 200 threads all day, and I only have it set at 250 threads.

edited February 2013

I made some changes to the engines files.

Been pushing between 230 and 260 LpM all day

Made one change which is a last guess at finding a cure

Im due the next crash in the coming hours

Bang on time. You can almost time when the hangs / crashes will happen

It was sat like that for fifteen minutes until I killed it and did another restart

• I've been away all day, but I see this is still going on for others too, which is a bummer.  I was hoping Ron was right about site lists/importing causing the problem, but for me at least, even when I unchecked using any site lists, I still freeze up.  The difference for me is that it now happens within about 5 seconds of starting! (no exaggeration).

Oh well... hopefully the next update will resolve the issue.  At the rate Sven takes care of things, I can't imagine I'll be down for too long.  Hopefully most of the rest of you can continue to at least get a few hours at a time out of it.
  • ronron SERLists.com

This is a good discussion because if it is happening to some and others are not affected, that will help @sven maybe figure out the cause.

I'm have been in fifth gear all day, so there has to be something particular you guys have in common.

Knowing @LeeG, he gets in there like a mechanic and changes engines and things like that. Are you doing the same?

• Yeah something is seriously broken,   The scheduler isn't switching projects for me at least.  the LPM says 0.00 Even though i'm submitting 100 LPM  (Yes I timed it).   I switched to 5.08  and i'm still Seeing the same things.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Well, that's another thing I don't use, so maybe that is related to the problem???
  • You don't use the Scheduler?   See,  I don't need to use it.  But I'm kinda forced to cause of SER.   If I don't use it I will max at at 2GB instantly.  But my Dedi will only be at 20% ram usage.  :/  kinda sucks. 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I tried it only to see if it would increase my speed, but it didn't. So I don't use it.

• "Yeah something is seriously broken,   The scheduler isn't switching
    projects for me at least.  the LPM says 0.00 Even though i'm submitting
    100 LPM  (Yes I timed it).   I switched to 5.08  and i'm still Seeing
    the same things."

Same issues, scheduler is not switching projects, LpM is 0.06 (in reality in runs at 100+).
    And after some time GSA just freezes, it doesn't crash actually, it just stops and doesn't do anything.
    It happened again about an hour after I left it unattended

Im n ow trying one last combination to see if I can keep ser running.

All t1 are set to inactive, to see if the projects that have limited daily link building are at fault