Skip to content

Not Properly Utilizing Threads

BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
edited February 2013 in Need Help
Can someone explain how the threading works? I have tried 200-700 threads and it doesn't make a difference.  I imported a site list with 17,024 drupal sites and am just running one campaign right now.  This campaign is only posting to Drupal sites.

CPU is about 10%, memory is 198mb, plenty of resources on my server.

Why are only 20-30 threads being used when there are 300 available?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Maybe is is waiting till threads are done to perform a verification? I don't know what it is doing on your end (no log).
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    Hey Sven, I'll send you an email with the log and backup.
  • ronron SERLists.com

@Brandon - This is a non-technical explanation for sure. The only time I see SER go with max threads is when verification is occurring or at the beginning of the new day when I have all projects fresh waiting for links to be built.

If you are like me, you have a bunch of projects with limits, and a bunch with no limits. SER processes the ones with limits really fast. But once it is done with those, you only have the no limits projects left. So you have a lot less projects going at that point.

Then you are only searching for targets or submitting, and you are only using so many search engines.  But one thing I have noticed - the more no limit projects I add, the higher my LPM, the more threads I use, and the more links I build.

• I dont know if this is widely known here but I discovered it today, if you have SEO Indexer running you can control the number of threads that uses.... Mine was set to 200. I changed it to 5 and it has made major difference. Just click the little down-arrow next to the red Stop button.
    @Ron thanks for the info.  I tested today with a fresh list of 17,000 drupal blogs and it was only running at 20-30 threads.  With a fresh list and no need to harvest, I would expect SER to use all available threads.

@spunko2010 Threads for Indexer and GSA are separate numbers.  You can run 10 SER threads and 800 Indexer threads or vice versa and they won't affect each other.
  • It wouldn't affect cpu/memory/bandwidth? 

I would have thought that it would but I ain't no computer maestro :-B
  • OzzOzz
    edited February 2013
    yes, all of this is affected. mostly CPU and bandwith though. memory not that much.
    @Ozz - Any ideas on my OP?  I sent some info to Sven, but this has been common since the beginning.
  • no, sorry. i've absolutely no clue.
  • Brandon mmm.... maybe... If you Copy and Pasted that list directly to your project like Right click > import target urls... SER first identify platforms and after that try to post... BUT if you click on SER Options > Advanced > Tools > Import urls (identify platform and sort in) all your new urls will be identified already so SER will post right away... maybe this will improve your threads.... 
    Thanks @rodol it's not a problem of the lists...there are open threads, I want to see why SER isn't using them.  Regardless of how it gets the list, if there are open threads, shouldn't they be used?