Skip to content

Improved Email Verification v9.45

@Sven - Thanks for improving this. I'm not sure what suggestions of mine you may have used, but I was wondering if I wanted to increase the timeout on verifying the email can I just edit my engines *.ini files or is the timeout settings also hard-coded into the software?

For example using buddypress.ini:

IF I CHANGE THIS:
verify submission=1
verify by=email
verify interval=60
verify timeout=700
etc
etc

TO:
verify submission=1
verify by=email
verify interval=60
verify timeout=7200
etc
etc

Will SER now honor my extended wait time on verification emails?

I had already changed all of my contextual platforms verify timeout times and didn't test it yet and like an idiot I didn't backup my settings so when I upgraded it overwrote my files, lol. I'm only editing the register variables. Not the submission after registration variables.

Comments

• Figured this out myself. It works. All contextual links (awaiting account confirmation) now have 5 full days to verify the email. Was a pain in the ass to change the engine files but definitely worth it.
  • 5days? but does it take that long to send verify email or what am I missing here?
  • edited December 2014
    @vuli - Read my posts in the other thread regarding the errors while checking the emails which can cause major issues with contextual links.

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/15344/lpm-very-veyr-high-and-vpm-almost-0/p3

edit: Those errors I'm talking about may be what Sven fixed in the latest version. There's no documentation on it other than "improved email verification".
  • My GSA SER with the update is posting very well getting 70VPM@300 threads :)
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    5 days is way too much as most engines have auto-approve email sending. Anyway, if you change it to that high number, you should also change the intervall to a bigger number.
  • Its only timeout so I figure SER will try to search the verification email for 5 days. If we leave the interval the same i think nothing should be wrong ?
    the speed is decreasing as it will check all emails again and again for that verification data. It just has way too much data to check.
  • Ill decrease it to 1440
  • edited December 2014

Here are the verification on Article Dashboard engine:

verify submission=1
    verify by=search+url,url
    verify search for=%article_title%,%url%
    verify url=./myarticles/%pen_name2%/%author_id%
    first verify=10
    verify interval=100
    verify timeout=1400
    verify on unknown status=0

verify submission=1
    verify by=search+url,url
    verify search for=%article_title%,%url%
    verify url=./myarticles/%pen_name2%/%author_id%
    first verify=10
    verify interval=100
    verify timeout=1400
    verify on unknown status=0

Ideally, what should these settings look like, in your opinion?

----------------------

Here are settings for @lex Guestbook.

What I am unsure about is the nomenclature used in the notes here.

As you can see, the 5 in the notes below represents minutes, but right below it the 5 represents 5 days (in blue).

I am assuming this is coded into the script on the server differently, so I should not worry about the difference.

Is this correct?

;if set to 0 we asume that the submission was successful (if submission_success matched)
    verify submission=1
    ;can be email (parse email and click link), search (use search from there page) or url (just download that url agan and check)
    verify by=url

verify url=%targethost%%targetpath%
    verify on unknown status=1
    use original url to verify=1
    verify search detail url=0

;minutes to wait after each verification check
    verify interval=5
    ;when to give up checking for the set link in minutes (in this case 5 days)
    verify timeout=5
    first verify=0

Thanks for yuour help.
  • magicallymagically http://i.imgur.com/Ban0Uo4.png
    Holy Smoke @Sven

Damn, this new version is a major improvement!
    For the very first time, I'm able to get decent results with my scrapings!

Now we are on the right track - Great work Sven and Happy New Year as well.

Make sure to be careful during the New Year Celebration:P

And of course @Everyone
    Happy New Year up front:)
  • edited December 2014
    @Sven - I know that it will continue to check the emails again and again but I'm also going to be having more and more NEW verifications to check for as well so I don't see the harm in checking the email for an old registration again. I'm currently having no slow-downs running heavy contextual links with a timeout of 5 days on contextual platforms that verify by email. You are right about the interval though. I might tweak that a bit also.

@KristyLove - Play close attention to the verify by= variable. The article dashboard engine says verify by=search+url,url so it's not verifying by email. I only changed the timeout on contextual engines which verify by email for the register step.

About the Alex Guestbook, yeah idk about that one. I didn't change my guestbooks, trackbacks, blog comments, etc,  etc.
  • ANOTHER TIP:

I'm also pretty sure that many of the contextual platforms are catching on to these disposable/fake emails and are banning registrations that try to use them.

I know I've read here somewhere Sven suggests NOT doing this but I changed all my contextual platforms *.ini files as well as my generic_fields.dat file that uses %random email% to %your e-mail% and have noticed a major improvement in verified contextual links as well.

This can easily be done with opening all contextual engines with notepad++ and use the "replace all in open documents" setting. But I STRONGLY suggest you DO NOT do this for non-contextual platforms otherwise blog comments etc will spam the hell outta your email and you'll be checking endless emails.

I for one have my contextual projects all separate from the "shit links" as I label them.
  • @Sven - Is there a maximum time you can set your email verification "time to wait between two logins" either per account or per pop server to?

Because I tried upping the value & SER is not respecting my set time.
  • OldFusser 

Thanks for the tip.

Greatly appreciated.
    @OldFusser that is per account when you set the box, else per pop3 sever (globally).
  • @Sven - huh? I know what the settings mean. I was wondering if there is a maximum amount of seconds I can input for the "time to wait between two logins" option?

Because when the projects are just in active mode and when they verify automatically in intervals it isn't respecting the increased time to wait between two logins that I tried to test.
    sure it should take that time. There is no maximum at all.
  • @Sven - well it doesn't respect the value when the projects are set to active and when they enter the verification stage. When I set them to Active --> Verify Emails Only it does though.

Also, what use is the "when to verify" custom time in the options? I tried setting this to a high number thinking it would only enter verificaton stage ever xx mins but it's still verifying links and emails automatically much more often.

You must have seen something different then. Because both tmes do exactly what expected. The "when to verify" is checking every submission older than the set time + being verified XYZ minutes back than the set time.

The email setting is also working as expected. Though when using proxies, it might login in shorter intervals.

• @Sven - I was just logging in actually to say that I found a better explanation of the when to verify custom time setting as it's verifying each link after xx minutes. I was under the impression that it was the interval in which the projects enter the verification stage (as were many judging from all the old threads I read here about it). It would be great to have an option like this if possible.

The email time to wait between logins was working as far as I could tell when using 900 secs and setting the projects to just active mode. Higher values seemed to be working ONLY when setting the projects to Active --> Verify Emails Only.

I haven't thought about proxies being the issue as I would see it work with 900 secs with using proxies. It's just when I try to increase the value much past that, then I can never get it to work when running projects in straight ACTIVE mode. And I know for a fact that certain emails have already been checked before the value I set it wait. It's very odd. I guess I just have to set it to 900 secs or completely disable verification and do it at manual times.
  • Buddypress.ini on 9.46:

============
    verify submission=1
    verify by=email
    verify interval=60
    verify timeout=700
    first verify=5
    ============

Wordpress Article.ini on 9.46:

==========
    verify submission=1
    verify by=email
    verify interval=30
    verify timeout=60
    first verify=5
    ==========

What does the numbers from verify interval, timeout and first verify mean ?
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    edited January 2015
    verify interval = Time between each verification process

verify timeout = If SER can't verify in this time frame, the link will be discarded if login is not possible without the verification email.

first verify = Time frame when SER will try it's first verification process

All numbers are in minutes.
  • @Trevor_Bandura : i check the emails once a day. Am I wrong or with those timeouts I miss 99% of my registered accounts that are wp and buddypress?
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    That i'm not really sure about. Would have to get @Sven to comment on how it works when you only check emails one time per day.
  • I think I'm right unfortunately. The stats from a contextual dofollow project:
    - 24298 is the number thats showed in the submitted column
    - 15 verified backlinks
    @sven could clarify this :)
    I replied in your other thread. Sorry but please do not reply in any other thread as well or just do not open new topics with same content.
  • edited January 2015
    @Sven : I modified my articles engines, especially those that are dofollow. 

I have 2 questions: what's the difference between "verify timeout" from REGISTER_STEP1 , STEP1 and EXTRA_STEP1 ?
    If I modify my engines, I have to create new projects so SER can use my modified engines ? Or is a SER restart enough ?

"verify timeout" is the time in minutes it waits before it removes the URL from it's project database when no verification was happening from time added to db -> now.

A restart of SER would be enough

• Steps other than registering are usually the "link" verification which kick in after SER has submitted to the target site successfully. I never modified any of mine although I suppose you could on platforms that may need to be manually approved (in which case I don't see increasing this time helping cuz let's face it, submitting "spam" is highly unlikely to get a manual approval unless you have very clever/unique articles).

In case anyone is interested, I ended up settling on a 2 day timeout with email verification on all my contextual engines. To me this has quite a few advantages.

This gives SER more time to check the email for the verification email. With an extended timeout like this, the email errors are unlikely to be a problem (other than wrong username/password email errors).

If it doesn't find it after X amount of days it will try to login and post which should increase your stick rate on sites where webmasters may be a little more proactive against spam since the accounts sat there for X amount of days without any external linking being added, etc.
  • @Sven : Thanks ! What about the STEP_1 and EXTRA_STEP1 ?

@OldFusser : I modified my contextual and dofollow engines (articles, wikis and social networks) to 5 days. I started yesterday a test (hopefully I will see a decent number of verifieds after 1 week).