Skip to content

Is It Better To Use A VPS Or A Spare Computer?

I have GSA installed on my main desktop computer. From what I understand it can only be installed on up to two systems. I hear a lot of people using a VPS, but if I have a spare laptop that I never use, would it make more sense to just use that instead?

My concern is if I don't like the VPS I chose, then I have wasted my license, since I'm concerned I won't be able to use it again on another VPS. On the other hand, if I install it on my laptop. I will always have that obviously.

I'm very new to this and working with VPS's though, and not sure if the VPS will be able to handle a lot more connections, and be faster.

Comments

• Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    I see no issue with using a spare computer and saving your money on the vps until you need/want to expand your business.

Aslong as the machine is capable of running the programs you need and you have enough bandwidth / connection speed to support your spare machine and your primary machine + don't forget any wifi or pads or tvs or laptops that may also be connected to the same connection, you may get a lot of freezes during media consumption if your connection isn't that great, this depends also on your amount of threads you run with, on average, from personal experience, I've managed to run 1000 threads quite easily on my 100mb connection, but this causes problems when streaming video on different devices.

250 - 500 threads with an increased HTML timeout on a 100mb connection worked just fine.
  • Thank you for your help! I was thinking if it's just a bandwidth issue, I could just put that money I'm paying for a VPS towards a higher internet connection package. I don't really see the need of renting a remote server when I have a relatively new laptop with a Core i7 processor and plenty of RAM in it.
  • One point to bear in mind is the quality of your home router - SER can easily overload the cheaper domestic models, whereas a VPS is likely to have a much more robust router.
  • magicallymagically http://i.imgur.com/Ban0Uo4.png
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, however as GSA Ser currently performs awfully, with low verified links as a result - No need to have a VPS or a dedicated Server...Even a Raspberry Pi would be sufficient at the moment:P

I will not renew my current dedicated server, and probably not proxies as well.
  • Magically, is there some ongoing issue with GSA Search Engine Ranker causing it not to work for everyone? I just recently purchased the program about a week or so ago, but have not yet tried it on any of my sites.

I was considering buying the GSA Captcha Breaker too after X-Mas, but I'm wondering if I should hold off if Search Engine Ranker isn't working properly right now.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about the router... I was able to run at 1000 threads easily on a BT Homehub which was free and assuming really cheap to build, ran just fine.